Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

Well, I love comics, absolutely adore them! Superman because he believes in the best in humanity, bizzaro because he's misunderstood, Green Lantern is hands down my favourite character, the theme of willpower really speaks to me, the tardis because I love Doctor Who, stars because I love punk music and blink-182 are still one of my favourite bands and it's the same tattoo Tom Delonge has, the compass for direction...oh, and I have the symbol for hope from Green Lantern on my back, that way the only thing that's on my back is hope!!

Go BIG, or go home.

Well, I love comics, absolutely adore them! Superman because he believes in the best in humanity, bizzaro because he's misunderstood, Green Lantern is hands down my favourite character, the theme of willpower really speaks to me, the tardis because I love Doctor Who, stars because I love punk music and blink-182 are still one of my favourite bands and it's the same tattoo Tom Delonge has, the compass for direction...oh, and I have the symbol for hope from Green Lantern on my back, that way the only thing that's on my back is hope!!

Those are all phenomenal.

I thought of getting a tattoo after I passed my Masters Thesis, but I just couldn't think of anything I really wanted branded into my flesh to commemorate my time in grad school.  I have considered getting a tribal-tattoo-looking phoenix on my forearm, or maybe a stylized oroboros.  I'm just poor.  And a wuss.  Which of those two is actually holding me back remains to be seen.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Nice! So they're all on the same arm (aside from the hope symbol)?

I've got one lame-o tattoo that I got when I turned 21 that I have been regretting for a few years now. I should have waited to find a design I loved. But later this month my wife and I are getting a tattoo of an ambigram of our kids' names on our left wrists. We used an ambigram generator to come up with it, but it needs a slight tweaking, because it's easier to read my son's name (Wesley) than it is to read my daughter's (Grace, although it looks like Gram in the design). We're going to have a consult with an artist and see what they come up with.

CharlieBoston

My Character Page

Introduction - CharlieBoston and the Wavering Motvation
Fitocracy Profile

Athlinks Profile

"Hope, D'Argo. It's what keeps you going... I have hope or I have nothing."

I will work on that, maybe tonight. I've not on social media to have easy links, although I may have to return to facebook soon so posting that would be easy, I'll see what I can rustle up

We host pictures here too.

I don't have any tattoos, but I have wanted my family crest on my back for as long as I can remember.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I want to get a Wonder Woman one done on my calf as well as soon as possible, and then maybe Batgirl/Batwoman on the other calf

Do you draw the superhero design yourself or does the tatto artist or do you find your favorite pose from a particularly favorite issue?

CharlieBoston

My Character Page

Fitocracy Profile

Athlinks Profile

We host pictures here too.

I don't have any tattoos, but I have wanted my family crest on my back for as long as I can remember.

How would you design a Family Crest?

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

As I understand it, and I may be wrong, he could actually mean a coat of arms, but these days the terms are interchangeable. They were commonly used in medieval Europe and were passed down from father to son. So if you're of European descent, you could probably find your own family's coat of arms with a little digging. You just have to be sure of where your family is from, I would guess. In my instance, I have a fairly common Irish last name, so in order to find my family's true coat of arms, I'd need to know what part of Ireland they came from because there are over a dozen different coats.

CharlieBoston

My Character Page

Fitocracy Profile

Athlinks Profile

As I understand it, and I may be wrong, he could actually mean a coat of arms, but these days the terms are interchangeable. They were commonly used in medieval Europe and were passed down from father to son. So if you're of European descent, you could probably find your own family's coat of arms with a little digging. You just have to be sure of where your family is from, I would guess. In my instance, I have a fairly common Irish last name, so in order to find my family's true coat of arms, I'd need to know what part of Ireland they came from because there are over a dozen different coats.

Yes, I mean a coat of arms, we call it the family crest. One use was that of a personal identifier before writing was widely used. And Charlie is right, they can differ widely from family to family with the same name because if a father had more than one son, the others (by law most of the time) had to modify it to differ from his older brother's. Even the first son needed ot have a small difference (typically a label) until his father died so that that they could be differntiated from their coats.  When the father died, the eldest son could remove the label. I'm actually at least 4th (not sure beyond that) generation eldest son, so I would have the exact same coat as my great grandfather.

But, we use it as a family crest, the difference being that it's not individualized.  My dad and his 3 brothers all use the same one.

I too have a fairly common Irish/Scot/English last name (Dawson) and you'll never find my exact coat on a google search.

so were different regions given coat of arms or just certain families?  cuz if there's no coat/crest for me, then I'm maybe going to invent my own.

In some places there are rules and authorities guiding their creation and use. The coat of arms link covers a lot of them, or links to them.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

This one is close, I believe it has all the right symbols, but our colors differ.  Gonna go to my dad's facebook page and grab the right one.
Dawson-England.jpg

edit: Ours is here. As you can see, the leafing, upper right quadrant, and lower section all have a different color. I imagine this would indicate at least 3-4 generations of differences.

gallery_3636_34_41373.jpg

500 / 330 / 625

Armorial Gold sells vector clip art. But if you don't know how to use vectors it is of little use. I bought it a long time ago, and use it occasionally for heraldic style designs.

In the United States we don't have an official body that regulates heraldry, but we do still have to abide by trademarks. But feel free to draw your own. If it uses images I have in my clip art I can quickly put a graphic together for you.