Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

Meh. I keep shaving it. The itchy ness kills me. Any ways to get over this.

Shampoo and condition the hell out of your face.  Early on maybe even buy a lotion to throw down post-shower.  It helps soften the beard up and keep the itchyness at bay a bit.

I seem to have lucked out, because whenever I grow a beard it doesn't itch (though I will say it's scratchyness is what gets me more often than not).  I seemed to have obtained a "no itch" gene in a trade off for a "not very thick beard" gene.  I think I'll manage to cope with that tradeoff.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Meh. I keep shaving it. The itchy ness kills me. Any ways to get over this.

BBBOOOOOOOO!

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Guest CyborgNinja

Hi all. I have the gear that qualifies me to post in this thread.

I'm kinda loling at all of this discussion of beards and such. I don't know why beards are such a big deal now when they're such a pain in the ass and it takes so much maintenance to keep them from looking like a hobo mane. Respect and admiration to those who have the genetics to grow a beastly beard but personally I'll pass.

Clean Shaven Crew, low maintenance hygiene 4 lyfe.

I've always thought a Man looked Wiser/rougher/tougher/older when sporting an official beard or beard-like form

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Meh. I keep shaving it. The itchy ness kills me. Any ways to get over this.BBBOOOOOOOO!

I second the "boooooo!"

*runs out before everyone kicks her out*

(If this post seems brief or anything like that it's because I'm using my phone and don't want to type a lot :))

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I'm kinda loling at all of this discussion of beards and such. I don't know why beards are such a big deal now when they're such a pain in the ass and it takes so much maintenance to keep them from looking like a hobo mane. Respect and admiration to those who have the genetics to grow a beastly beard but personally I'll pass.

Idk man, doing a clean shave takes me anywhere between 35 minutes and 70 and my skin is going to hate me for at least 4 days, I'd wager it to be similar for a lot of peeps with fast beard growth (and I don't have money to buy a shaving razor + EQ). I mean properly maintained full beard maybe but I'd say it depends. Stubble/shadow are low maintenance, acceptable in next to every professional situation and can definitely add some edge. 

Then again, I might be a bit biased as I think beards are kinda sexy.

I second the "boooooo!" [2]

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolf, level 1 Vampire assassinSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

I'm with you, CyborgNinja. Clean shaven is the easiest to maintain, and the most professional looking (which I need for right now). Plus, some girls just prefer a clean face. ;) And I love the smooth feeling after a close shave.

“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.

But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now

mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.â€

--J.R.R. Tolkien, "Return of the King"

"Are the gods not just?"

"Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"

--C.S. Lewis, "Till We Have Faces"

Hey guys, I am doing this from my phone so it is going to be short and to the point. If any of you have gone through a divorce how did you deal with it? My soon to be ex and I were only married for 5 years and we don't have kids. She received the papers and I am awaiting her counter-proposal to the terms. I feel like I am in limbo. Her things are still at the apt as she is going to school in a different state so I get to see all of that crap as well as all of the pictures because I don't want to throw anything out that she may try to take. Things are as amicable as they can be but it still sucks balls (excuse the phrase). So far I have been keeping myself busy with work, gym, yoga, and meditation I figure that if I am going to be single again I should lose my marriage weight and it seems more positive than drinking or whoring, lol. So any hints, tips, or words of wisdom??? I have a history of depression and that is the last thing I want to deal with right now.

Lvl 1 Elven Minotaur Druid
Str: 3 |Dex: 1 |Sta: 4 |Con: 3 |Wis: 2 |Cha: 2

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." Capt Malcolm Reynolds

"When you do something, you should burn yourself up completely, like a good bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself", Shunryu Suzuki

"Why do we fall down, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up again." Thomas Wayne

My second-ish challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/29825-harness-rebooted/

My beard is WAY more low maintenance than clean shaving. I only have to buzz with clippers twice a week (if that) and clean up the edges real quick (takes 15 seconds, don't even use shaving cream for it) with a wet razor every other day. Other than that I just rub my moisturizer in real quick after I brush my teeth and run the brush through it (once again, 15 seconds).  This is way better compared to the every other day full shave. AND, if you run a few days behind, you can barely tell, the beard is just a bit longer, but with shaving, you look like a hungover hobo with the stubble.

I second the "boooooo!"

*runs out before everyone kicks her out*

(If this post seems brief or anything like that it's because I'm using my phone and don't want to type a lot :))

I know right! I thought I had scored some Spezzy brownie points. Bruce ate my brownie points....

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Hey guys, I am doing this from my phone so it is going to be short and to the point. If any of you have gone through a divorce how did you deal with it? My soon to be ex and I were only married for 5 years and we don't have kids. She received the papers and I am awaiting her counter-proposal to the terms. I feel like I am in limbo. Her things are still at the apt as she is going to school in a different state so I get to see all of that crap as well as all of the pictures because I don't want to throw anything out that she may try to take. Things are as amicable as they can be but it still sucks balls (excuse the phrase). So far I have been keeping myself busy with work, gym, yoga, and meditation I figure that if I am going to be single again I should lose my marriage weight and it seems more positive than drinking or whoring, lol. So any hints, tips, or words of wisdom??? I have a history of depression and that is the last thing I want to deal with right now.

Hey, man. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have not gone through a divorce, so I can't give you really good personal-experience advice. Just wanted to say that we're here for you if you need to talk/vent anytime. If you're a man of faith, hopefully you can find some solace in that. Otherwise, I would just say find some friends near you that can help support you whenever you feel like you're getting depressed. Anytime I've dealt with depression, it's been good to have friends nearby that I could talk to or just hang out with to get my mind off of things. Wish I could help more.

“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.

But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now

mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.â€

--J.R.R. Tolkien, "Return of the King"

"Are the gods not just?"

"Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"

--C.S. Lewis, "Till We Have Faces"

^ Agreed. Cherish it for what it was but let bygones be bygones. Not to say that you can't feel sorrow for a while but with a history of depression it's probably better not focussing too much on it, keeping busy is probably not a bad idea - working out can definitely be good in these situations.

Spending time with people you cherish is also always a good antidote to anything 'negative', if you feel you're up for it you can also try to meet new people, get into something new or something of the like. A lot of people seem to have an easier time beginning a 'new chapter' in their lives after such an event with actions that actually symbolize this change. I'd say doing things you enjoy and with which you can constructively deal with your feelings you can do no wrong. Be it talking about it, working out, taking martial arts/self-defense classes, doing extreme sports, organizing a potluck (so jealous about these things, largely unknown here) or whatever rocks your boat.

And since it doesn't seem like you're on the all too common "enemy" terms that's already an accomplishment, not sure what you could do about her (potential?) property ect. Maybe pack it (or at least the pictures ect. up)? That's something that's really hard to evaluate because it's always dependant on the person. Some seem fine with reminders around, some need some time 'disconnected' from them to gather themselves - if the latter is the case I'd say just be open about it, chances are she'll understand.

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolf, level 1 Vampire assassinSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

Just lurking the man post and saw your troubles. I've been reading The Happiness Hypothesis.  Steve Kamb claims it changed his life.  I can see it's usefulness in situations like divorce.  To paraphrase, we create our own reality.  If I look at a life event as a negative or as a positive, in both cases I am right.  I know, too simplified.  I tend toward the depressed / glass half empty side of life and am trying to be more positive; I set the goal to read this book and apply its lessons.  Maybe it could help in your situation.  Again, sad to hear when a marriage doesn't work out; think about all the good times you can now have since you won't be fighting with ex. 

Bavarian Ranger -- Level twoStrength 5 Dexterity 4 Stamina 5 Constitution 1 Wisdom 5 Charisma 5 My Epic Quest Challenge #1  Current Challenge

Future goal inspiration from Kurt Vonnegut "Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops.â€

Thanks guys. I will definitely check out that book.

Lvl 1 Elven Minotaur Druid
Str: 3 |Dex: 1 |Sta: 4 |Con: 3 |Wis: 2 |Cha: 2

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." Capt Malcolm Reynolds

"When you do something, you should burn yourself up completely, like a good bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself", Shunryu Suzuki

"Why do we fall down, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up again." Thomas Wayne

My second-ish challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/29825-harness-rebooted/