Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

I'm not sure that's geeky enough. How about this?

*snip*

I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.

I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.

I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.

I kill with my heart.

I was just having a conversation with my brother about how The Dark Tower saga was fan-freaking-tastic.  Good timing on this quote.

• Like 2

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

I was just having a conversation with my brother about how The Dark Tower saga was fan-freaking-tastic.  Good timing on this quote.

Working slowly on my second read through. I originally picked it up after the release of book 3 and waited on the release of each of the later ones. Got quite trippy and weird after his accident.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Working slowly on my second read through. I originally picked it up after the release of book 3 and waited on the release of each of the later ones. Got quite trippy and weird after his accident.

Yes it did. My brother hated it after the "Roland meets his maker" bit. Sure, it was bizarre, but I refused to let one arc ruin it for me. Wizard and Glass was probably my favorite book.

Funny fact: my initials are RF, and I walk quite a bit.

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Yes it did. My brother hated it after the "Roland meets his maker" bit. Sure, it was bizarre, but I refused to let one arc ruin it for me. Wizard and Glass was probably my favorite book.

Funny fact: my initials are RF, and I walk quite a bit.

Wizard is by far my favorite one, I just finished it and honestly reread the first two just to read it again in prep for reading the graphic novels that also cover that time of Roland's life.

Never read the dark tower. What's it about?

A Gunslinger (think knight, but with guns), decended from Arthur Eld (think king arthur, but with guns), who's world (a different , but parallel world to ours) is "moving on", or basically falling apart at the seems, with help from some evil guys in the background. His quest is to get to the Dark Tower, the nexus of all universes and realities, in hopes of finding some way to stop this unraveling. In the process, he recruits some help from our reality, but I won't say how as it's basically the entire second book.

It's seven books long as was supposed to be King's masterpiece, his LoTR, his epic, but after his car accident in the late 90s where he got hit by a minivan when walking down the road, it took a trippy turn and to me kinda got derailed a bit. The first half of the series is defintiely the better half.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

The first book in the series, "The Gunslinger", is by far the shortest. It took 17 years for Sai King to write it, and the first edition was near impenetrable. He rewrote it after the rest of the series got going, tidied us some inconsistencies and crossed out a ton of adverbs. I think he got carried away with writing literature rather than a story for that one.

Books 2-4 are my favourites. They paint a weird and wonderful world (several worlds, in fact) and show an epic quest in which Roland (and yes, that is a reference to "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came") and his friends draw slowly closer to the mythical Dark Tower. However, I would point out that Roland's quest is not to fix the multiverse - he simply wants to reach the Tower, and climb to the top if he can.

Then King had an accident involving a man and a van while he was out walking. He could easily have died. He rather took his revenge on the driver by casting him in the seventh book (rather harshly!). I think this woke him up to the idea of finishing the series, and this is why the later books aren't as satisfying: they don't have the dreamy, relaxed style that the others do. They have a definitive plot and a faster pace.

There are occasionally rumours of a film series. They never pan out. The series may be unfilmable.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

There are occasionally rumours of a film series. They never pan out. The series may be unfilmable.

It's one of the few cases where I wouldn't want to see a book series as a film. They would make terrible movies for the same reasons the first few books are so damn good, they're these laid back renderings of this beautiful, crumbling world and culture with the characters meandering through it and taking it all in. The reaactions to it are internal most of the time. I don't think anyone could communicate that essence on screen, it's just too internal to each character.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

A Gunslinger (think knight, but with guns), decended from Arthur Eld (think king arthur, but with guns), who's world (a different , but parallel world to ours) is "moving on", or basically falling apart at the seems, with help from some evil guys in the background. His quest is to get to the Dark Tower, the nexus of all universes and realities, in hopes of finding some way to stop this unraveling. In the process, he recruits some help from our reality, but I won't say how as it's basically the entire second book.

when you put it like that it sounds a lot like the neverending story... but with guns :P

• Like 2

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

I might have to pick the first of these up with my 25 dollar gift card for barnes and noble.

I had a comic book that I think was based on these books. Not sure though.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

I might have to pick the first of these up with my 25 dollar gift card for barnes and noble.

I had a comic book that I think was based on these books. Not sure though.

Probably, those are the "graphic novels" I'm talking about, but I have the entire comic series compiled into 2 books.

500 / 330 / 625

I love that series. To me, as a late starter, the break between the style before and after the accident wasn't that apperant.

It is a lovely and weird world and in that, it always stayed consistant. I am not a huge SK fan, so finding a book I liked bye him was special ;D

And yes, I also own some of the graphic novels (which don't depict the story from the book, but parts of what happened "before")

I just poked my head in to see what this men only thread was going to be all about and it's a conversation about The Dark Tower! I love it. I'm really bad at fitting in with all male groups. I'm not a man's man, but you all are definitely my brothers.

But...you're...VanTheMan...you are more than welcome to pop in here more often
  • Like 1

Thanks for the welcome. I chose the name more because it rhymed. Also, I thought VanTheSlightlyEffeminateCriesDuringASPCACommercialsAndDoesn'tGetSportsReferencesMan was a little excessive. :D

Montage of sad, abused puppies set to Sara McLachlan? Who wouldn't cry
  • Like 2

Montage of sad, abused puppies set to Sara McLachlan? Who wouldn't cry

*Raises hand* I just find em annoying because they seem to go on FOREVER...

Keep in mind I'm told I have the emotional range of a teaspoon... so I may be the weird one.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Lol, well I often feel like those commercials are calling me an asshole, so I go "awww..." then "hey FUCK YOU Sara McLachlan! Trying to make me feel guilty and shit"

The old lady often calls me a robot due to my indifference to a lot of things so I feel your unemotional pain.

and you are weird for so many reasons my friend lol

Lol, well I often feel like those commercials are calling me an asshole, so I go "awww..." then "hey FUCK YOU Sara McLachlan! Trying to make me feel guilty and shit"

The old lady often calls me a robot due to my indifference to a lot of things so I feel your unemotional pain.

and you are weird for so many reasons my friend lol

Sounds about like me... I don't know how many times I've had to suffer through the "Why don't you just tell me what you're feeling" speech...

I'm normal... everyone else is weird...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

I just poked my head in to see what this men only thread was going to be all about and it's a conversation about The Dark Tower! I love it. I'm really bad at fitting in with all male groups. I'm not a man's man, but you all are definitely my brothers.

The range of topics on this thread is really large. Its basically a place for guys to talk about guy stuff.

Sometimes it gets derailed, but its a place where a guy can ask a question without feeling criticized.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)