Forums are back in action! ×

1Q84-Book 1-*SPOILERS!*

CalvinHobbes

is 1Q84 the book club selection? :)

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

I posted this in my challenge thread but had to post it here too.

I was curled up in foetal position reading the chapter in which Aemome describes how she practices kicking a guy in the balls. Seriously, a whole chapter devoted to that topic. Why??? I am waiting to see what the link to plot is on that one.

Although I am used to it from other writers, I still find it distracting that the author switches from one character to the other each chapter. They are currently two completely independent storylines (I am assuming they come together at some point) and it would certainly have worked better (in my mind) if the author had stuck with one character for one part and then switched to the second character for the next part until the two can be brought together.

I shall read on and see what happens. Intriguing storyline but pretty long-winded - like this post. :P

Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air.
They are where they should be.
Now put the foundations under them
. - Henry David Thoreau

What chapter have we gotten to? Are there organized stopping points?

I read through chapter 6 because I was so interested in the first two. However, I don't remember any ball kicking, so I guess other people are further than I am. It's allgood though. At least I know who the characters are.

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk 2

Funky RangerLevel 2 -- STR: 5 | DEX: 3 | CON: 5.5 | STA: 5 | WIS: 5.25 | CHA: 3.5

Fitocracy | Twitter | Zombies, Run!

I have read to the end of Ch14. Hope to finish the book over the weekend.

Plot starting to come together ...

. - Henry David Thoreau

Yup, I'm around chapter 15-16 and the plots are coming together. It's an intriguing book. Plus I just love the feeling of devouring a big, fat book. It's been so long... the last big, fat book I read was Shantaram.

Have you heard of "The Passage" by Justin Cronin? Another fabulous big, fat book. Strongly recommend it -- and the sequel ("The Twelve") is about to come out.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

I'll just finish reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Well, I'm at the third book right now - Life, the Universe and Everything, but yeah.), then I'll get started on reading this.

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

I'm struggling getting past the first few chapters, just isn't grabbing me. I find myslef grating my teeth and wishing I was reading something else, odd situation for me with almost any book... . Will plug on for a bit but about to throw in the towel

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Also progressing well. Am around chapter 12 in Book 2. Book 1 was a very good scene setter but it was more like part one than a standalone book.

I am finding his character development a little weak personally and also, the repetition in the book is somewhat frustrating.

But definitely enjoying the sotryline and the way he is finally starting to bring the two character's stories together.

. - Henry David Thoreau

Just finished Book I last night. Ready to dive into a discussion. Some random thoughts/questions:

(1) Is Aomame a feminist?

(2) What's with all the traumatic childhoods? It seems no character escaped their youth unscathed. Do you think, to one extent or another, that's true of everyone (like you and I, not just the book characters)?

(3) Anyone else waiting to find out that the little people are all named Rumplestiltskin?

(4) Is there "only one reality"? In real life? In this book?

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

^ whereas it made me think I should practise my nut-kicking!

Ditto :-)

Yup, I'm around chapter 15-16 and the plots are coming together. It's an intriguing book. Plus I just love the feeling of devouring a big, fat book. It's been so long... the last big, fat book I read was Shantaram.

This! I've had a craving for something this for a while. My need is satisfied.

Okay, I'm done with the first book. Is anyone ready to discuss it yet?
I'm halfway through the second book. Things are coming together now, the pacing is better, the mysteries are intruiging and I can finally remember the names of the protagonists (heh). But... it really took awhile until things got slightly interesting. I'm hooked though.
Also progressing well. Am around chapter 12 in Book 2. Book 1 was a very good scene setter but it was more like part one than a standalone book.

I am finding his character development a little weak personally and also, the repetition in the book is somewhat frustrating.

But definitely enjoying the sotryline and the way he is finally starting to bring the two character's stories together.

I thought it started off slow, picked up and got boring again. I found myself skimming a bit more in the last couple chapters. Over all, though. I'm pretty into it.

I like how the stories are finally coming together. I'm very interested in seeing how Aomame and Tengo work together as characters given their specific eccentricities.

Thoughts on themes?

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Just finished Book I last night. Ready to dive into a discussion. Some random thoughts/questions:

(1) Is Aomame a feminist?

(2) What's with all the traumatic childhoods? It seems no character escaped their youth unscathed. Do you think, to one extent or another, that's true of everyone (like you and I, not just the book characters)?

(3) Anyone else waiting to find out that the little people are all named Rumplestiltskin?

(4) Is there "only one reality"? In real life? In this book?

1. I don't think so.

2. I think there's a difference between traumatic childhoods and traumatic events during childhood. I think everyone has one, to one extent or another, and that it's all relative to the rest of the childhood. For example, someone with a heinous childhood would be less 'scarred' by something that may do some damage to a child with a relatively quiet and happy childhood (parental divorce, for example).

As far as that relates to the book: I think their past traumas are what open them up to the 1Q84 v. 1084 issue, the little people, etc. Without that, I'm not sure they'd be sensitive to what's happening. Though, I'm not sure to what degree Tengo is aware. He seems to get that Fuka-Eri was telling the truth but he doesn't seem to be experiencing the changes. For example, has he seen the two moons?

I vaguely recall he was slightly confused about the Sakigake, Aebono (sorry, I could look it up..) drama... but was that like Aomame's confusion, in that she wasn't yet in that reality or was it just a vague recollection? And seriously, can he notice the moon(s) please?

so how does all that play into the "if you have something the little people don't you can walk through the forest safely" thing?

3. hahahahaha

4. In real life: mind explosion! In the book....... :thinking face:

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Right now (Book 2, chapter 18) I think Marukami is just a master in making everyone believe, that there is an actual story in his books, when in reality, he just wanted to write about penises and nipples 8[

hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Right now (Book 2, chapter 18) I think Marukami is just a master in making everyone believe, that there is an actual story in his books, when in reality, he just wanted to write about penises and nipples 8[

Haha, maybe :D I am getting a little annoyed at Tengo's 'older girlfriend' always having his penis or his scrotum in his hand. And the conversation they had at one point where the little details were that she was raising and lowering his penis on her hand like an elevator while discussion something completely unrelated. Wouldn't that be annoying? Being fiddled with all the time?

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Haha, maybe :D I am getting a little annoyed at Tengo's 'older girlfriend' always having his penis or his scrotum in his hand. And the conversation they had at one point where the little details were that she was raising and lowering his penis on her hand like an elevator while discussion something completely unrelated. Wouldn't that be annoying? Being fiddled with all the time?

I thought that was kind of odd, too. Maybe I'm just not inclined to fiddle with... stuff..

But seriously, Tengo has some issues sexually. I mean, I guess they all do, but it somehow seems weirder in his instance. Probably stemming from that super Freudian scene with the white slip.

Archived