Forums are back in action! ×

Stress Fracture? Something else?

flourless

Two months ago, I started martial arts classes. I went twice a week for 45 each time, and practiced out of class for 2-3 hours a week. About a month ago, we started getting ready for tournament. My in-class practice went up to 5.5 hours, and then I'd practice for another 2-3. Tournament is in a week, so we bumped up the intensity again. I probably spent almost 10 hours on the mat this week. Friday night and Saturday we practiced forms on the dance floors (so a little springy, but not our usual 2" pads), and on Saturday, because we were doing it mock-tournament style - there wasn't much warning before our turn and lots of waiting, so warm-ups were pretty ineffective.

This morning, I woke up in pain. Not "Bleh, I'm tired and my muscles hurt again", but "Ouch, that HURTS", all along my right calf. It hurts more when I start to walk on it (the first 10 minutes are bad), then I get a brief reprieve (maybe another 10 minutes), and then it comes back worse again, and radiates up my leg to my groin. Stopping movement doesn't stop the pain, but it will slowly fade from feeling like someone is driving nails through my heel into my knee to a dull, throbbing ache. If I sit very still, it's just a dull, occasionally throbbing ache that varies from in coverage between my knee and ankle.

The pain is slightly position dependent. Dangling is bad, elevated is ok, but the act of lifting it hurts.

I have two spots on the front of my shin that are painful to pressure or tapping (eye-wateringly painful). The bottom one has a faint circular bruise around it, and the top one has a ~5" long narrow diagonal dark line that might be a bruise or might be a particularly visible vein. I've never had a stress fracture, but this is seeming like one...

Clearly, the answer is to go and see the orthopedist, and I'll call him as soon as the office opens in the morning. Also, the answer is obviously not to exercise further until I get a medical clearance.

However, many times, when I ask the internet what might be wrong with me, my symptoms mysteriously abate. That would be a good thing. So, any pre-medical-opinion speculation that you'd like to offer would be welcome!

If y'all have any suggestions for treating the symptoms until the ortho can see me, that would be appreciated too. At the moment, I'm going with the old standbys: Ice, anti-inflammatories, elevation, rest. Compression doesn't make much sense (and hurts besides), so I've skipped that one.

"What's a black belt?" "It's a white belt who never gave up, Ma`am!
flourless | level 3 halfling monk

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 7 | CHA 4

Something else, I think!

I passed the "hop on your bad leg" test - it made me ankle protest most strenuously, but it wasn't excruciating. Not broken is a GOOD thing!

Something else, I think!

I passed the "hop on your bad leg" test - it made me ankle protest most strenuously, but it wasn't excruciating. Not broken is a GOOD thing!

hell yeah! not broken is an awesome thing!!! Still go to the doctor tomorrow tho!

Intro: Intro thread

Current challenge: Shoobie's baby steps to greatness

Eventually, all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason - Carrie Bradshaw

I would guess something else because of the radiating pain, but highly suggest going to the doctor ASAP.

Yes, Sir! The ortho opens at 8:30 in the morning, and I'll call their office then. I've got a good relationship with that office, and my GP, so between us, we'll get it squared away ASAP.

Hope you feel better soon!!!

Thanks, all of you. Until I stood up and walked around for a few minutes, I felt fine! Now I'm back to cradling my leg and muttering under my breath at anyone who looks like they might bump me. Percocet is good stuff, but apparently doesn't give me back my mobility tonight.

Here's to a speedy recovery!

Archived