Forums are back in action! ×

Well, I must admit, my thumbs are turning green.

Baenlynn

So I was down at what has become my new favourite store in the past few weeks: The hardware store. I'd only dropped in for some blood and bone for my herbs because I wasn't sure that the seaweed fertiliser I've got for them would be enough and I just HAD to start poking around the plants again, didn't I? I do this every time. I tell myself that I'm only taking a peek, and next thing you know I'm filling planter boxes with parsely and onions and talking to the rosemary and basil when I get home from work.

Today, it was lettuce. I am very particular about my lettuce, and while I like my leafy greens I prefer them to taste like things other than grass, but the most common varieties of lettuce in the supermarkets around here are Iceberg and Cos. The former being flavourless and the latter tasting like a freshly mown lawn. I prefer to buy oak leaf or coral when I can find it, but it doesn't keep well in the fridge compared to iceberg so I buy a head and usually have to throw it out after three days or so. But, they had six packs. Little punnets of Oak Leaf lettuce, three red (My favourite!) and three green, so: gardening tragic that I am becoming I bought them and three 40cm boxes to put them all in.

Tomorrow I am going back for a hammock and to be sure I'll be lucky if I come out of there with just that.

There was a time when I spent all my money on RPGs and Nerf...

Yay another gardener enthusiast! Our season is winding down here. As a matter of fact, I have turned over most of our beds already. But there were some late cucumbers that we got to enjoy. I love garden lettuce.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

growing lettuce at home is great, it stays fresh until you're ready to cut it. It spoils so fast in the fridge, and it's not cheap! I wish I had space for a garden, but in my little apartment, herbs on the windowsill are about it.

have to admit I am not the biggest salad fan; after years of living with my mom, who eats salad ALL the time (and always has a bag decomposing in the fridge), it finally dawned on me that frozen veggies are perfectly legit and more my speed. But I like going to visit her place and grazing on her garden. she grows kale and chard and stuff in the winter. Except the last time I was there, I picked a piece of broccoli and was just about to crunch when I realized it was crawling with aphids. oh well, bugs = free protein, right?

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I'm waiting for my lettuce seeds to sprout. And then the war against the snails will start.

I hear they like beer. Actually I heard that was slugs, but maybe snails do, too. At least they'll die happy.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

And then if you're not squeamish you get escargot!

I'm clearing the weeds out of one area to sow some lettuce sometime next week. I would do it this week but it's supposed to freeze on Saturday (then go back to 80F like usual) so I'll wait until then.

I have to restrain myself at plant sales too, I always end up coming home with more than I went there for ...

Anduril, level 3 human adventurer

(ranger wannabe)
STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 3.5 | CON 6.5 | WIS 3 | CHA 3.5

Intro thread | Daily Journal
Top weight 211, currently 184, goal weight 150 (5' 8-1/2")

Life has no remote; you have to get up and change it yourself.

Archived