Forums are back in action! ×

Former Monk turned out-of-shape Druid. Nice to meet you!

Hello, everyone! I go by Eridian. I'm just starting out in my journey to not suck at fitness. Once upon a time, I was a monk. I was by no means a jock, but I was at least in good shape. I did lots of cardio and Tae Kwon Do, but now, not so much. I eat almost nothing but junk food and I almost never exercise. That's a big change in just a few years. I constantly have excuses for not eating well or exercising.

My first major goal is to kick my absurd soda drinking habit. I never used to drink water, as it always sits very heavy in my stomach and makes me nauseated. Really couldn't tell you why. I've made some good strides in my goal! (2 on Monday, 1 Tuesday and none since then! :D) After a lifetime of drinking it and the past few years drinking ONLY soda, I guess that's something? I predict a few hiccups, but I want to keep trying and not give up. It's not easy to break a 10+ year caffeine addiction and monstrous sweet tooth, but I'm well on my way! Wish me luck, I'll need it. :(

Unfortunately, I love my carbs and I have a low budget, so the 10 pound bag of rice in my pantry stays there until I eat it. As do the noodles and ramen. Going Paleo intrigues me, but I won't be able to consider it until my food stores are depleted. I'd at least like to try it for a while and see if I like it. For now, I'd like to start with a strong base of exercise and eating healthier in general. My lifestyle has shifted to the point where I truly enjoy Yoga, Pilates and other body training exercises. I think I'll be at home with the Druids. I'd like to get to a point where I'm more flexible, healthier, and in better control of my own body.

I've only just begun on my turnaround. I started about 5 days ago after being fired up by this blog and great community. I've failed at dieting quite a few times. My health is horrible and I need to lose about 50 pounds. I'd like to meet some of you fine folks and really keep on track this time. I'm sure that quite a few of you have been there and I'm sure you all have great tips and advice for a newbie!

It's nice to meet you!

ERIDIAN
Level 2 | Catfolk Assassin

STR: 3 WIS: 9 CON: 4
DEX: 4 CHA: 8 STA: 5

Eridian's Vice to Virtue Challenge: Completed

Hey Eridian, welcome to the rebellion!

I never used to drink water, as it always sits very heavy in my stomach and makes me nauseated. Really couldn't tell you why.

This is something I struggle with too, although it seems mostly to happen to me at particular times of the day (first thing in the morning, after working out really hard, etc). Something that has helped me a lot is adding frozen lemon and lime slices to it. As long as I drink it fairly quickly (otherwise it goes bitter) my body accepts the flavoured but not sugared water much better than plain water. Weird, right? Anyway, good luck with your no soda goal! It will be challenging but completely worth it!

And, for the record, I don't think you've failed at dieting yet....that happens when you completely stop trying. What you HAVE done is find some ways that don't work for you, which is why you're here! So here's to finding ways that do work for you and getting healthy and flexible in the process!!!

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Hey Eridian, welcome to the rebellion!

This is something I struggle with too, although it seems mostly to happen to me at particular times of the day (first thing in the morning, after working out really hard, etc). Something that has helped me a lot is adding frozen lemon and lime slices to it. As long as I drink it fairly quickly (otherwise it goes bitter) my body accepts the flavoured but not sugared water much better than plain water. Weird, right? Anyway, good luck with your no soda goal! It will be challenging but completely worth it!

And, for the record, I don't think you've failed at dieting yet....that happens when you completely stop trying. What you HAVE done is find some ways that don't work for you, which is why you're here! So here's to finding ways that do work for you and getting healthy and flexible in the process!!!

I've never thought of freezing citrus and using it as ice cubes... That sounds tasty! I'll have to give it a shot and see if it makes my stomach less angry. As for now, I've just been telling myself to suck it up with the water. It's really difficult to keep up with being healthy when a glass of water gives me stomach cramps and a soda doesn't. I ended up cheating one day this weekend with some soda (curse you, lack of self-control!), but I've gone every other day with just water. It's not quite w00t room worthy, but that's definitely a small victory for me!

I'm super glad that the community is so supportive! I've been prowling all day and seeing how other people have overcome struggles. It keeps me encouraged. I've also gotten some great ideas for fitness routines from everyone. I'm currently attempting to build strength and body control. My coordination, flexibility, and balance are terrible. Once I reached the point of being so unaware where my body was that I punched myself in the throat reading a book, I knew there was a serious problem. :(

ERIDIAN

Hello Eridian!

My roommate has had the same issues with water. After we switched water companies she hasn't had as many issues. Have you checked if the water in your area is high in a particular mineral or fluoride?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LVL 1 | Half-Orc Druid

STR: 1 | DEX: 2 | CON: 1 | STA: 2 | WIS: 7 | CHA: 2

Well, I'm not sure honestly. I've had trouble with all water, just in differing degrees. My parents had well water, so I grew up not wanting to drink water. Once I moved, I moved to a large city and still have the same problem. I'm not sure what could be in both supplies... Luckily, the water at my workplace is filtered really well and doesn't cause me any trouble. I've gotten up to between 40-60 oz at day! :)

ERIDIAN

Heya Eridian!!! Welcome to the rebellion!!! I gotta tell you... water has the same effect on me! and citrus is the way to go! It took me a while to get used to the flavor tho... but yeah.. it's much better than plain water...

Good luck with the soda thing... i used to drink at least 2 L of coke a day and it was hard to get it out of my daily things... but nowadays i sometimes even prefer a glass of juice or iced tea to coke. Yes, you read it right... i say no to coke and choose something else... and it is not even a huge effort anymore!

I don't follow the paleo diet.. mainly because living in brazil kinda makes it quite expensive to do so (natural, organic products here are at least triple the price) So i just decreased the starchy goods and increased veggies and fruits and protein... it's been working for me so far. Just find something that will work for you, paleo or not. Keep in mind that -anything- you do towards being healthier it's -something-... Doing something is better than doing nothing at all :)

Intro: Intro thread

Current challenge: Shoobie's baby steps to greatness

Eventually, all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason - Carrie Bradshaw

Archived