Forums are back in action! ×

My first ever speed vault!

RandomWanderer

So I was out again with the youngsters doing parkour ( they range in age from 16-20 and I'm 34) and they had me learn safety vaults so I did those for about 20 minutes, took a pretty hard bail on one of the vaults when my hand slipped. I got back up and kept practicing. Then my teacher Carl wanted me to do a speed vault.

A Safety Vault is where your outside foot touches the obstacle your vaulting.. a speed vault is when it goes over as in this pic below.

So I was feeling afraid to do it, the fencing(thick white fancy fencing) was only about hip hight maybe a little higher, but there was a bit of a drop, about 2 feet on the other end, I had fears of clipping my feet and taking another dive so I just decided to do some more safety vaults. Anyways I went for another try and for some ungodly reason my body just did a speed vault, I did not PLAN to do a speed vault when I started my run , it just happened, with no thought. After my amazement I tried a few more, started over thinking and fearing again, but ended with a good one.

Parkour is amazing, addicting, and shows you that you can do things with your body you'd never thought that you could do.

post-7922-13567245207004_thumb.jpg

post-7922-13567245207004_thumb.jpg

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

Well, congrats on your speed vault. Your picking this stuff up fast. Must be good to have a local parkour gym

Thanks! no gym though, just a bunch of local kids on the streets. There is a gym about a little less then an hour from me, I need to head over there one of these days :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha

Awesome job, Wanderer! You've put a lot of time and effort into your pk and it's showing!! Pretty soon you'll be recording instructional videos for the rest of us... :)

LOL.. na I'll leave that to Az... speaking of which.. where has that Aussie been!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived