Forums are back in action! ×

New Recruit to the Rebellion

Hello All,

I am starting my journey to a leveled up life. Starting stats are as follows: 300lbs, 5'10", probably 50%+ bf, and its time to take my health seriously. I have read a ton of articles on NerdFitness and now just need to apply what I've learned. I have tried a few routines from Bodybuilding.com but there are a few things in conflict between here and there. Following Steve Kamb's logic, I have taken an increasing amount of tips from here, and less from there.

I absolutely love my grains so going Full Paleo is going to be quite the challenge. The only thing I regularly (for the last month or so) have had that isn't Paleo is a protein shake after a workout.

My biggest struggle so far is forcing myself to keep going, knowing that while some muscle groups are recovering I should be working others. Based on work and classes, it is really tough to go from couch-potato to getting up at 4am so I can make it to the gym. More rambling to come later!

-Dr4c0

Dr4c0 - Level 1 Ranger

Welcome Dr4c0! We're here to help you with any and all questions you may have. You'll find this is a great community with amazing support - good luck with changing your lifestyle into a more healthy one.

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

Welcome to the Rebellion!

I've had difficulties going Full Paleo as well, but if you're applying Rebel logic, taking it in steps should help. I'm in the process of doing the same thing, taking it step by step, hoping to be on a full Paleo diet by December.

Either way, this place is great for information, suggestions, and support. Good luck with everything! :)

Thanks for the encouragement guys! This morning I tried to do some cardio as yesterday was strength training but I couldn't complete 20 minutes on the elliptical as I was so tired at 5:30 this morning...

So tomorrow I need to make up for it, 40 minutes of mid-high intensity cardio, then hit the free weights drenched.

Dr4c0 - Level 1 Ranger

Negatives are your best friend. Also, chins are easier than pull ups and it would be easier to progress them first, then start on pulls ups. That's what I'm planning on doing next challenge. I've worked to 3 chins and will increase that to 10 before I start doing pull ups.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'm a weights guy, not a bodyweight guy, and there's no progressions that I've had with great success myself. There are some progressions on the main site to be found and on the bodyweight strength board as well.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Being over 330 myself I can't do a pull up yet either, but it's definately on my list of things to do. If you haven't already read Steve's "How to do a Pull Up" article you can find it here. It has some progressions you can do starting with single arm rows and moving up through the negatives CoreyD suggested. Hope it helps :) Good luck with your goals!

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Steve also put up an article on inverted body weight rows. These are also great to build up your back to get pull ups and chin ups. You can find that one here.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Level 8 Scottish Highland Assassin

Str 20/ Dex 10/ Sta 15/ Con 17/ Wis 20/ Cha 13

"Most of the things worth doing have been declared impossible before they were done."

Daily Battle Log

My Fitness Pal

Fitbit

Facebook

Archived