Forums are back in action! ×

All I want for Christmas, Is a six pack!

Hey Guys!

Just joined up and I just wanna say that I am glad I did!

I'm 22 living in paradise (Southwest FL) and the pressure to have a beach body down here is intense, hence my reason for becoming part of the community.

I spent most of my childhood/early teens being majorly obese, pretty safe to say I was always one of the fatter kids out of my class. I believe I was somewhere around 33% body fat when I was in middle school. Sooo imagine a little 5 foot 12 year old with that much fat on him... not good. I finally snapped out of my soda drinking, late night video game playing, McDonalds eating state sometime in 7th grade when I decided to join my school's cross country team. Ever since then I started paying more attention to what I ate and tried to become more active. From 7th grade to about 11th grade I trimmed off about 11% body fat without paying much attention to my diet and just playing sports; although I'm sure part of that had to do with the fact that I grew to about 6 feet during that time as well.

After high school I tried as much as I could to stay in shape, hitting the gym sparingly between working two jobs and college but I never saw much improvement so I wasn't very motivated to be more consistent at the gym and instead of trying harder or changing my eating habits, I went back to eating like crap, not working out and working 70 hours a week on top of that (Plus school)

This all changed last year when I decided to grab the bull by the horns and become more committed to a health regimen. I started hitting the gym 5 times a week (easier after I graduated and landed a 9-5 job) focused on strength training and cross fit classes and cleaned up my diet a bit. I managed to drop to about 14% body fat and my current weight of 206lbs. Although I've seen good results this year after being introduced to muscle confusion and swimming, I feel like I've started to plateo (Spell check? lol) which made me scour the web for new workouts and diets.

I discovered Nerd Fitness upon researching Paleo Diets and I've been hooked on reading NF ever since; so much that when I decided to switch to a full Paleo eating regimen on Monday, I figured it would be a good idea to register as a member here to share stories and good topics regarding health and fitness. Plus a little extra motivation wouldn't hurt.

I'm zeroed in on having that beach body and overall wellness that I've been craving since my geeky Halo days! (No offense, I actually reserved Halo 4 yesterday :victorious: haha)

I've given myself a deadline of December 31st 2012 to lose 5% body fat which will put me right at 9% - A little ambitious, I know, but I truly feel I can hit that mark!

Btw, anyone know where exactly I can post my progress? I'd love to get feedback and tips!

Thanks for reading!

Kyle

> and the pressure to have a beach body down here is intense

I hear ya! I've been on Pacific Beach in San Diego for a few weeks, and every day I can't help but say to myself, "damn there are a lot of hardbodies here!" Both men and women. I can see how it'd be a motivating environment to live in on a regular basis. Well, motivating and humbling at the same time. :D

I've been chasing the elusive 6-pack for a while myself. I can get it with flexing and a favorable downlight lol but I want a "walking around 6-pack", as in, I just have one visible standing normally with regular lighting. I've cut out wheat, but I'm still in the process of cutting out sugar and potatoes ... I think sugar has been my biggest obstacle, because it's been easy to rationalize "oh this Hershey bar is gluten free so I can eat it!" nom nom nom. Hmmm, and I wonder why the 6-pack has eluded me? :)

> Btw, anyone know where exactly I can post my progress? I'd love to get feedback and tips!

You can make a daily battle log here: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/forumdisplay.php?13-Daily-Battle-Logs

Welcome! You can choose a guild and participate in the challenges, where you log your workouts, or start a thread in the daily log section. We've also got a paleo/primal board where you can find a lot of support for your diet.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Archived