Forums are back in action! ×

Lurker no more!

Hello all!

I've been a member and I've frequented the blog regularly for the past couple years now. I'm 21, I just graduated from college, and I'm currently in a 1-year masters program trying to get into medical school. I'm here because I want to get stronger, faster, and fitter (not sure if that word is entirely appropriate but it sounded slightly less vain than "better looking" :redface:). I've been over weight and obese pretty much my whole life, and have tried many times various approaches at weightloss to no (or little) avail. Over the past few months though, I've been doing slightly better. Last winter I peaked at ~220 lbs, which might be described as "morbidly obese" by some doctors for someone 5'5". Last week I hit a new milestone, I was under 200 lbs for the first time in years! My current approach is to rigorously count calories and run every other day. I know how much everyone on this site loves paleo and strength training, but this is what's working for me right now and I'm happy with the results I'm seeing so far. Though a couple months ago, when I first started, I was doing strength training almost exclusively, a friend of mine got me to start running with them and I've been loving it ever since. I don't consider myself horribly out of shape, and though at roughly 30% body fat I am technically obese, I don't feel particularly bad about the way my body works or feels, but I know I can be better.

A quick overview of some stats that may give y'all a good idea about me and my current progress/status: typically, my runs are 3-3.5 miles in 30-33 minutes. I've done strength/weight training before and last week did about 200 pushups in about 20 minutes. I used to wear 38-40 waist pants, now my old 36's are fitting loosely.

Anyway, I don't want to rant too long, but I'm glad I'm finally taking the plunge here and I hope I can use the support of this community to continue my forward momentum, and hopefully, I can be of help to others when I've learned enough to make my own contributions.

L1 Adventurer

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 2

"Whether you think that you can or you think that you can't, you are usually right. - Henry Ford

myfitnesspal|Nike+|twitter

Yay!! Good to know you've decided to stop lurking!!! Welcome to the rebellion!!!! (seems silly to say that tho, as you've been reading it for so long)

Anyways.... congrats on your weight loss so far! That's a great accomplishment!!! And yes, people do like paleo and strength routines here, but that doesn't mean that if you are doing something that works for you and with that you are getting healthier, they won't be supportive.

I am not a big fan of strength routines myself... and i am not on paleo... and still people are as supportive as they can be!

Intro: Intro thread

Current challenge: Shoobie's baby steps to greatness

Eventually, all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason - Carrie Bradshaw

Welcome! There is actually a whole group of "scouts" whose main focus is running, so I'm sure you'll find some connections there. As for the eating, well, lots of us aren't paleo (or as some like to say "aren't paleo YET" :) ) and Shoobie is right: there's lots of support here regardless. Congrats on your weight loss so far, and did I read that right -- 200 push ups in 20 minutes? I totally want to be you some day! Here's to finding your niche and keeping up the amazing progress!

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Archived