Forums are back in action! ×

New from Austin, TX.

Hi everyone,

I have been reading this site for about a year, and today I decided to join the forum. I have run cross country all throughout high school, and now that it's over, I want to get bigger (but not fatter) and stronger. Right now I am just under 6'1", weigh about 165 pounds (give or take 3 pounds) and am probably about 18% bodyfat (can tell I have abs but I'm kind of doughy despite being more of an ecto-mesomorph). I eat a moderately paleolithic diet.

I just started a 5x5 style routine: Monday, Wendesday, Friday, some sprints on Saturday

dynamic warmup: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/01/09/warm-up/

5x5 barbell back squats

4x push-pull superset (push ups followed by chin ups)

1x5 deadlift

stretching

Right now, my goals are:

break 165 pounds (my current bodyweight) on my squats and deadlifts.

do 10 pull up with good form. --> right now I can only do two mediocre chinups per set for my push-pull superset.

Right now I've been doing military push ups, like 8 a set.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve my chin/pull ups and push ups? It seems like each new day of push ups I do is just as hard as the last even though I do the same amount of reps. Is that because my form is improving and making the exercise harder? I don't know if that is the case because I felt like I was starting with great form (I'm not new to push ups, just haven't done them in a while).

I like strength training a lot better than cross country, and I am excited to be a member of the NerdFitness community.

I would appreciate your feedback.

Thank you,

pootz

Archived