Forums are back in action! ×

Well hello there!

I figured, I may as well introduce myself. My name is Cassandra, I am 22 years of age, and I am a total noob on these here forums. I am starting the Paleo lifestyle this Friday (payday, of course.) I am a regular gym-goer but not a very dedicated one. I intend to change that. :) I would love nothing more than to meet new people here so please, introduce yourselves!

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

Cassandra, level 1 Hylian ranger

STR 4|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 4|WIS 3|CHA 2

"Quality is not an act, it's a habit." - Aristotle

twitter.com/missxgaia

[/TABLE]

Welcome to the Rebellion. What are some of your goals for fitness?

Well, let's see. I began the Paleo lifestyle today for the first time, with the goal of being healthier and shaving off excess weight. I tend to be an emotional over-eater and it is an addiction (strong word, but it fits) I struggle with every day. My first day was a learning curve, to say the least. I started my day with a banana and brought with me three oranges and a bag of dried cranberries to work. I only ate one of the oranges and some of the cranberries, but then my coworker came in and she had brought me some food, so I did have one or two servings of kettle-cooked potato chips. I know, giving up on day one is awesome, right? I also skipped the gym, which I feel especially guilty about since I hadn't been there since Friday.

When I got home, I made myself an omelet with four eggs, jalapenos, avocado, and cilantro. I also cooked 1.25 lbs. of boneless chicken breast with every intention of saving it for later meals in the week, but I ended eating every last morsel of it.

I am disappointed in myself, to say the least. But yeah, that's where I am right now. I like my body, I am only doing it partially for my looks, I just want to be healthy and learn how to interpret how my body communicates when it comes to food.

</life story>

twitter.com/missxgaia

[/TABLE]

. I know, giving up on day one is awesome, right? I also skipped the gym, which I feel especially guilty about since I hadn't been there since Friday.

tomorrow is a new day... and messing up on one meal doesn't make the whole day bad :)

start again tomorrow... it doesn't matter how many times you fall... only how many you get up

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Yes, a lot of us fumble at first, its no big deal as long as you keep at it. What does it mean to be healthier and how much weight do you want to shave off. I aske because being specific with goals is one of the first steps in achieving them. We talk a lot about making SMART (Specific Measurable Attainable Realistic Trackable) goals here on the boards because that is what works for so many of us.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Yes, a lot of us fumble at first, its no big deal as long as you keep at it. What does it mean to be healthier and how much weight do you want to shave off. I aske because being specific with goals is one of the first steps in achieving them. We talk a lot about making SMART (Specific Measurable Attainable Realistic Trackable) goals here on the boards because that is what works for so many of us.

Well, all-in-all I am eating paleo as a lifestyle and not as a diet. I am planning on eating like this for the rest of my life. As far as losing weight, I really don't have specific goals. I thought about just having an over-all 50 lbs. goal but with the diet I am adopting, my body might want to sit at a lower or higher weight naturally, so I don't want to set that kind of goal.

I do have fitness goals, though. I hope to be able to run a mile and leg press 200 lbs.. I am open to suggestions on how to measure or decide a goal weight though. I hope that answers your questions.

twitter.com/missxgaia

[/TABLE]

Actually, if you get fit, weight won't matter as much as Body fat%. Also, may I suggest deadlifts and squats over leg press? Steve's got some good posts on his blog about the advantages of free weights over machines. Basically, because machines only move in a straight line, you don't get the good compound workout you would get with free weights. For example, dead lifts would work your legs, but they would also work your abs and core, your arms and your grip strength. Much more payout for the same number of reps.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Actually, if you get fit, weight won't matter as much as Body fat%. Also, may I suggest deadlifts and squats over leg press? Steve's got some good posts on his blog about the advantages of free weights over machines. Basically, because machines only move in a straight line, you don't get the good compound workout you would get with free weights. For example, dead lifts would work your legs, but they would also work your abs and core, your arms and your grip strength. Much more payout for the same number of reps.

That's not a bad point at all, I read that blog post and I agreed with it. I am trying to get away from machines in general, but my lack of knowledge only takes me so far I guess. I am meeting with a personal trainer tomorrow so I will ask her to show me the basics.

twitter.com/missxgaia

[/TABLE]

Archived