Forums are back in action! ×

Yoga... someone tell me the truth!

Goldie

Muscles don't actually get longer, no. Their flexibility just increases. I believe it's more of a nervous system adaption than a musculature adaption, the nervous system basically "learns" that it's okay to let the muscles stretch that far and not resist it, but others know more about it than me.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I have a question about yoga! I know it's good to be flexible and i know stretching prevents injury BUT can it really lengthen muscles? I'm wondering whether to start doing it to compliment strength training and cardio but want to know the actual benefits first.

Well, first off, stretching does not necessarily prevent injury. Stretching can certainly be helpful in avoiding injury-prone situations, but it's not a direct injury safeguard.

Whether or not it lengthens muscles is actually irrelevant. The purpose of stretching is to obtain a great ROM (range of motion), which is what you probably mean.

If you're anything like the larger part of the population, you have tight hip flexors and anterior shoulder girdle, which can cause a lot of nasty stuff. Yoga will help with that. Definitely add it.

Muscles don't actually get longer, no. Their flexibility just increases. I believe it's more of a nervous system adaption than a musculature adaption, the nervous system basically "learns" that it's okay to let the muscles stretch that far and not resist it, but others know more about it than me.

Actually, during chronic stretching sarcomeres are added. So the muscle is getting physically longer. It doesn't really matter, though, because functionally you're getting more range of motion, which is the purpose of stretching.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

I can't tell you medically the benefits of yoga, but I find it a great complement to other exercises. Even if you do it just once a week, I'll think you'll find that it helps the body. I think of it like this: in strength/cardio/anything exercise, it's a lot of energy output. But in yoga, there's an input of energy, giving back to the body.

So, done with the hippy-dippy.

I can't tell you exactly how it helps, but there are times during a workout that will make me remember something yoga - a muscle I realized was tight, or a way to breathe through the tough parts, or a new stretch that really hit the right spot. And a different way of thinking about moving the body, using it, and what the strength and weaknesses are.

A lot of yoga is bodyweight and using stabilizer muscles, so the increase in balance will also be helpful in other workouts.

Good luck, and have fun!

Are you thinking a class or a vid? There's a ton of free ones on YouTube, for anything, and of course, there's a Guild just for yogis with lots o' info.

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

Benefits of yoga: flexibility, body weight exercises, comfort w inversions (if you are shooting for that), learning techniques from another point of view (proper engagement of abs, proper plank), balance.

The BIGGIES = flexibility, balance, and breathing & control of breathing. These benefit all sports.

I was cranking out a workout last night and they were cooling us down w 1 min planks after hard cardio. Breathe... Breathe.... Focus on the breath... Allows for the body to do the work.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

You will always hear a refrain about the benefits of mobility work. You can go to mobilityWOD and look up some really target exercises.

Or you can do yoga; while there are many facets to yoga, one of them is that it is a total body mobility system. Most of the exercises on mobilityWOD are just borrowing a part of yoga poses.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

You will always hear a refrain about the benefits of mobility work. You can go to mobilityWOD and look up some really target exercises.

Or you can do yoga; while there are many facets to yoga, one of them is that it is a total body mobility system. Most of the exercises on mobilityWOD are just borrowing a part of yoga poses.

I'm not very familiar with yoga, but I don't think yoga does the whole resistance-band-thingy that's like, the main attraction of mobilityWOD. PNF and such.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

there are many types of yoga classes that do focus on different things.. were one yoga class is more about meditation where another could be about flexibility. However the basics are stretching and body weight training... so if you have goals to do a pull up or increase your push up yoga helps. However everyone was right that muscles can not get long and lean.. your muscles just adapt to the range of motion.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different

STR:2 DEX: 2 STA: 2 CON: 3 WIS: 3 CHA: 3

It's def great to have some flexibility conditioning to your workout regime. As far as the more medical parts, I'll leave that to the more knowledgeable :D

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Archived