Forums are back in action! ×

GymPact - earn money for exercising

Mad Rocker

So this seems pretty cool:

http://www.gym-pact.com/

Say how many times you want to exercise per week and if you make it, you'll earn a few dollars, paid for by the people who don't keep to their commitment. 

A bit like 21habit, except instead of only having the motivation of losing money if you don't exercise, you get the bonus of gaining a little if you do. 

I don't know if it's something I'd do as it seems to be forceful motivation - a better tactic is probably just to find something you like doing - but it might be helpful. (In other words I like the sound of it but am too scared I'll fail and I don't want to lose the money...)

http://jackblog.org

Jack Blog | The Blog of Jack

This seems like such a good idea, I'm really surprised more people aren't on this.

At the very least it's a great motivation to get me back into running, daddy's got bills to pay...

The body is just a vehicle for the soul...

I wanna build a racecar!

LV. 4 Lycan Assassin STR: STA: 10CON: 8.25  WIS: 5CHA: 4.5   DEX: 3.50

Past Challenges: {1} {2} {3}

It looks like a great idea, but I'm going to hold off on signing up due to the fact that is still a very new app and (from what I've read thus far) has several bugs. Until its track record can show at least a 95% consistency for payout, my credit card information stays on my card: right now, roughly half the problems people are having result in $0 to their accounts. I'm not going to pay so that I can earn it back.... maybe.

Better idea, just set a certain amount you have to pay into your savings account for missing workouts. You lose nothing except maybe your weekly spending money. Or pay a friend, like Steve suggests - just as long as they don't use the money to pay for your beer next weekend out! :-P

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

I'm a sucker for trying stuff out if it's not going to cost me more than a couple bucks, I have the Android version on an HTC phone- so far the reviews I read that specified HTC were decent but I'll definitely add my two cents to the mix after a couple months.   

NomadJamie- you have to have your 3G/Wifi and GPS turned on, click Check In when you get to the gym, then Check Out when you leave (at least 30 minutes for the workout to count).  It pinpoints your location and you verify the gym you're in - in my case it could tell when I had walked to my car, once I was about 50 yards from the building I was automatically checked out. 

You do give your credit card info, they will charge you if you work out less than your pact - you can pick the dollar amount at stake and how many days per week you want to work out - I picked $5 and 3 days/week.  The current average payout per workout is between $0.50 and $0.75, redeemable via PayPay once you rack up $10.  I am not a runner so I didn't add the RunKeeper mix in.

You can cancel/delete your account, and freeze for holidays etc.  There have been some reports of people cancelling and their $5 being charged that week anyway, but I always expect a week overlap with auto-debits so I'm not too worried.  But I'm going to hit the gym 3 times/week anyway so I have no reason to be worried ;)

Archived