Forums are back in action! ×

Book Club: Jan 7-Feb 18-American Gods-May Contain Spoilers!

CalvinHobbes

Spoilers:

I kind of expected it had something to do with Hinzelmann....not that he was a god though. I figured either Hinzelmann or Mulligan had been kidnapping the girls.

I also knew Shadow had to have some kind of connection to Wednesday and I didn't get the Low-Key/Loki either...it was a big lightbulb above my head. 

Overall I'm not sure how I felt about it. Like, usually when I either really like or really dislike a book I can make fairly educated statements, but with this book I don't really have anything intelligent to say :)

This, so much.  I definitely enjoyed reading it but I"m also at a loss.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I remember having the same feeling when I finished reading it.  I blew through the book in a few days, and when I was done, I was just kind of "hmm, well, how bout that..."  I've actually had the same issues with some other books here recently.  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

I just realized NF had a book club, but weirdly just read AG about a week ago. I think my expectations were too high, or it just wasn't the right book for me. I read a lot and it seemed like it would be right up my alley, but by the time I finished I just kind of felt eh about it. It never really felt exciting or anything. I did like any parts of the story that took place in Lakeside though, and would definitely read a book about Hinselman (sp?) reigning hidden terror on that place. 

Until that day, until all are one. So say we all.

I finished it day before yesterday. I'm also in the hmmm side of things. Didn't dislike it enough to stop reading (unlike 1Q84 which I gave up on ) but to me the Low Key, Loki, Odin Mr. World, Hinzeman etc was fairly obvious and I kept hoping for more of a resolution to the battles. I ended vaguely unsatisfied. 

OTOH this is the first Neil Gaiman book I've read and I'm looking forward to reading his collaborations with Terry Pratchett so that was useful.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

I opted out of this book club reading, for the sole reason that American Gods is just a little too "dark" for me to be reading in winter.  (That's what I get for missing the voting!)  I'm looking forward to the next choice, though (and voting for it)!

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Archived