Forums are back in action! ×

Stay healthy - wash your hands (a lot) and get your flu shot

cline

Cheers Rebels and Nerds.

Some of you know we're in the midst of an early and difficult season for the flu and for norovirus

The BEST BEST BEST way to keep from getting sick is to wash your hands (info here) a lot (or for Spezzy wash alot) - especially after being at the gym, your box, etc.  Regular old soap is best and no, you don't need hot water.  The key is vigorous rubbing, running water, and length of time.  Best suggestion:  sing happy birthday (at a normal speed).  That should be sufficient. 

If you absolutely cannot wash your hands, sanitizer is okay.  Hand washing is best.  Sanitizer is NOT preferred if you change diapers, are going to eat, etc.  Sanitizer is kind of last resort stuff. 

Get a flu shot.  Really.  You will not get sick from it

Now go!  Give me 10 burpees and then go wash your hands!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I just got my flu shot today, finally. I never really cared about it until I started teaching and was surrounded my sick kids all the time. Even with the flu shot I still got sick a lot my first year, but no flu! Also, if you are sick stay home! I know missing work sucks, but your coworkers will appreciate it!

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

I just got my flu shot today, finally. I never really cared about it until I started teaching and was surrounded my sick kids all the time. Even with the flu shot I still got sick a lot my first year, but no flu! Also, if you are sick stay home! I know missing work sucks, but your coworkers will appreciate it!

Yes... flu shots will not keep you from getting sick.  They only keep you from getting the flu.  Most viruses are not flu.  Hand washing....  You know... it's soooo important with the kids around all the time!!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

never trust someone trying to sell you something... especially the government.  Im going to have to vote no on flu shots.

Sorry for any confusion - I'm not selling anything nor do I represent anyone who sells anything (honestly), nor do I work for anyone selling anything. 

And most people most places can get a free flu shot or a shot paid for by insurance.

I AM going the distance

You forgot the other important parts: eat enough food, drink enough water, and get enough sleep!

Re: shots

You won't get the flu from a flu shot, but a lot of people get minor colds or some other funk after getting it. I say, if you're in a risk category (in contact with a lot of people) get the shot. It doesn't protect against all variants of the flu, but I'd rather be protected against some than none.

You forgot the other important parts: eat enough food, drink enough water, and get enough sleep!

AMEN!

I AM going the distance

I feel that there has to be a consequence for mankind as a whole as a result of these somewhere down the line.

I'd say polio probably agrees with this statement.

Penn and Teller's take says it all:

Then again, what do I know?  I'm just one of those evil plotting scientists who are out to cause all people to fall violently ill so I'll see large quantities of money. ....... (This is the sound of my bank account letting the moths out)

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

if you're in a risk category (in contact with a lot of people) get the shot. 

Other risk categories include anyone with a history of respiratory illness, severe allergies and anyone working with children the elderly.

FWIW I always get a flu shot, I'm an at risk adult, and I notice that I am usually less sick in winter when the shot corresponds to the flu viruses circulating and more sick when the manufacturers of the shot guessed wrong s to which serotypes would be active. 

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

I'm asthmatic, so I always get my flu vaccination.  

I have had flu twice in the last 5 years, and both times it was before got the vaccination (I remember missing my flu shot because I had swine flu...) :grey:

I last had it in November and I'm still getting over it. :(

Little Miss Gibson, Half-orc Adventurer [1]STR 4|DEX 3|STA 1|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 3

Current challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22168-little-nerds-first-challenge/

Mini-challenges: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/23509-adventurer-mini-challenge-3/

Inventory: 6ft oak staff; baby carrots; rat-tail; 10 silver pieces

I asked my Dr. about if you can get sick from the Flu Shot. He told me flat out, "No, it is impossible" and hands me a piece of paper with info on it. While I read it, he gives me the shot. Not 10 seconds later the sheet says "Side effects are not common, though some side affects have been reported. If you experiance any side effects then please call our compensation hot line". So yes, you CAN get sick from it.

I seldom get sick, so I've never opted for a flu shot.  A couple years back, literally EVERYONE I was working with got the flew - except for me.This year may have been the exception - I got some super-nasty respiratory thing around Thanksgiving, but I managed to shake the severe symptoms in 2-3 days.  Don't know if it was the flu or not.

In general, I try to look at things like vaccines through a cost-benefit or risk-reward framework.  Right now as a healthy, physically resilient 30 year old I have little to fear from the flu.  If I were older, or a doctor/teacher/other profession with a high exposure risk, I might evaluate things differently.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

I asked my Dr. about if you can get sick from the Flu Shot. He told me flat out, "No, it is impossible" and hands me a piece of paper with info on it. While I read it, he gives me the shot. Not 10 seconds later the sheet says "Side effects are not common, though some side affects have been reported. If you experiance any side effects then please call our compensation hot line". So yes, you CAN get sick from it.

There is a difference between getting the flu from the vaccine and having a side effect. You will not get the flu from the flu vaccine. Period. However, given how the immune system works, it is entirely possible that your body will have a side effect. It is in fact fighting *something* after all - it's just not going to have to fight as hard because it is only going to deal with fragments of the virus or an inactivated version that will not invade your cells. I'm sure your doctor saw "Will I get sick" as a riff on the disturbingly frequent question "will I get the flu from the shot" as opposed to "will there be absolutely no side effects from this." The former is no. The latter is "if you find something that claims to not have side effects, they are lying."

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I never bother with flu shots because I haven't gotten the flu in a few years... and I haven't had a cold at all so far this year (used to get colds every couple months before paleo). Or allergies. My immune system has drastically improved since the switch to no grains.

If I were prone to these sorts of things though... I'd probably consider getting the shot.

Most of my health issues are all autoimmune. Gluten allergy, asthma, bad allergies. I have asthma and allergy issues when I eat gluten, in particular. It's basically non-existent when I eat right. But my body tends to react strongly to 'foreign' things. I have sensitive skin too, so I stick to using natural skin care products, I don't wear make-up, etc. Part of the reason I don't want to take the flu shot is because I'm fairly certain I'd be the type to react to it. Since I don't have issues catching flu most of the time... I'd rather not mess with a good thing.

Primal Chai
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."  - Christopher Hitchens

I don't know anything about it- but from what I've read the summary is this:

you CAN get sick from the flu shot- you can't get flu sick- but you can get other types of sick.

I haven't seen a difference from year to year- my family hasn't been big on flue shoots- I have had 2-3 since I moved to NJ.

I might get one this year because I now work in a big ass building full of really gross people. 

Shrug- it mostly depends on if I have time to go. 

My place of employment provides free flu shots and blood screenings each year. I see no reason not to participate. Sure it leaves my arm the flu shot was injected in feeling sore for a few days but that's the only side effect I've had.

As for washing hands. Yes I was them after using the bathroom or before I eat, but I don't wash them obsessively or constantly use hand sanitizer. You have an immune system. It needs something to practice on now and then.

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

My son has extreme asthma attacks which are brought about by colds/changes in seasons/etc so my children always have flu shots.

My husband gets his free at his workplace.

I tend to forget, but I'm the one who gets sick the least in the household. Huh.

Pixie Ranger Drunk on Tea~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Archived