Forums are back in action! ×

WereBunny in the House

How it all began (14 Jan 2013):

Hmmm . . . what do I feel like going down the rabbit hole on today?  How about diet and travel?  Sounds good. TO THE CLOUD!!! Lemme see, let's look up vegetarian diets for (wannabe) athletes and travel hacking.  Well this no meat athlete thing seems interesting so does this idea of credit card churning for frequent flier miles. *Scratches head - there's a mention of this NerdFitness guy in this NoMeatAthlete blog post and interestingly enough, it's about an epic around the world travel hack. *Scratches head some more - here's this dude again linked into the FrugalTravelGuy website. *Clicky-click some links - WTF is NerdFitness yo!?!?!

That's the quick version of my experiences this past Monday and the story of how I ended up here.

I'll jump right to it.  Since being medically retired from the Army back in November of 2010 and subsequently becoming a Mr. Mom, I've let myself go.  Rewind a little bit, since multiple injuries and two surgeries between Summer of '07 and Summer of '09, I've let myself go.  Yup, it's pretty much been one big ole pity party in Casa de mi Brain for 5+ years now. As much as I hate to admit it, I believe losing my Pops in the middle of all that helped to pile on my pity party.  Fast forward to time now.  I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired, literally. I've gone from 215lbs to 260lbs (275 at my heaviest last spring) and have been diagnosed with Type II Diabetes thanks to all of my effort I've put in becoming a TV watching, video game playing, sit-on-the-couch-and-eat-pizza lump.  My strength, stamina, flexibility, etc. are gone bye bye. My motivation tank is on "E" and I'm on reserve fuel.  This is the harsh truth of who I am and where I'm at currently.  I've come to realize I must become very candid and brutally honest with myself in order to get moving again.

Enter Nerd Fitness.  

This website, community, blog, well of info, etc is right up my alley.  At my core, I'm a nerd; always have been.  I can wrap myself in multiple guises, dress myself up in various ways, but when it comes right down to it, I'm still the scrawny, geeky kid who's overly obnoxious I've always been since, well, I came kicking and screaming into this world.  This place speaks to my inner gamer (and I'm talking mid-to-late 80's pencil & paper D&D gamer).  Level up? Heck yes! Quests? Please! Epic Quests? More Please!  Long story short, this website excites me; makes me want to do something, anything.

Picking my race and class.

SWEET! I can totally geek out on this!  After a couple of days of consideration, I have elected to go with WereBunny for my race. Da fuq? Exaclty.  Were rabbit is what I was thinking, but I'm definitely more fluffy, cuddly (read: soft) bunny material right now. Plus, I had a one time nickname when I was in uniform of Thunder Bunny.  A rabbit is lean, muscular, agile, and virile as all get out; I am not, hence choosing bunny.  Plus it's pretty damn funny and unique.  As for class, I at first multi-classed based on past endeavors making me a Ranger/Monk/Druid.  Ranger for my days as a Soldier (both as combat medic and infantry officer), Monk for my time spent doing Judo, Army combatives, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and Druid for my time spent dabbling into vegetarian-ism as well as Yoga.  I've decided to scrap all that and start completely over from scratch as a NOOB Adventurer.  As for my stats, I give myself the most points in WIS due to life experiences.  I'm still okay strength wise but my stamina and dexterity have left me for dead.  But I still have CON??? Yup, because I can take a beating (emotionally and physically) despite my current shortcomings in other departments.

Goals (Quests):

Lose 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 lbs

Do 1, 3, 5, 7, 10, 12, 15, 17, 20 Pull Ups

Run 1, 3, 5, 7, 10, 13.1 Miles

Free 6 Pack from Belly of Fat

EPIC QUEST 1

http://www.toughmudder.com

Enter, Train For, & Finish One

This World Boss will appear the last weekend of OCTOBER 2013 in Dallas, TX

What do I bring to the table? 

Snacks!!! J/K 

Believe it or not, even thought I'm super hard on myself right now, I'm actually a highly energetic and positive person (or have been known to be).  I'm also the life of the party, love to socialize, bust balls, chit chat, etc.  I'm a former chef & culinary school graduate pre-Army and still love to host BBQ's and parties for any reason.  Yeah, I'm sort of social.

Anyway, TL;DR . . . 

Happy to be here; have some goals, have an epic quest, and I'm a pretty fun dude to be around.

VANGELIS

WEREBUNNY

ADVENTURER

LEVEL 1

STR: 3 | DEX: 0.5  | CON: 2  | STA: 0.5  | WIS: 7 | CHA: 2

CHANGE THE CONVERSATION IN YOUR HEAD

Challenge Goals 

Hi Vangelis. Great name BTW. I am also looking to do Tough Mudder. There is one late this year not too far from me, so that will be one of my major goals this year.

Level 8 Half-Elven Ninja (3 Assassin/5 Monk)

[sTR 15.5] [DEX 13] [CON 10] [sTA 13] [WIS 19] [CHA 9]

"With great power there must also come great responsibility" - Amazing Fantasy #15

"Pressure makes diamonds." - Gen. George S. Patton

about.me/daniel.mccarthy Follow my blog

Wow!

Epic /fail

FFwd four months and I've done jack & shite. Well, not entirely true. I have gotten back into golf with range time, lessons, and practice time plus I'm coaching youth Spring football which has shined a light on just how out of shape I am.

Get to the point!

My seven year old poked my belly the other night and in true kid fashion, blurted out the truth: "FAT DADDY"

Add to this some recent pics I've seen of myself and I'm down right embarrassed. I don't even recognize myself. I have to do something, anything to turn all of this potential energy into kinetic energy. I decided to spend some duckets on the Rebel Strength Guide and intend to use it. Summer is nearly here and I'll need to be high energy to keep up with my three boys who are in Go-mode nonstop. I'm also starting back to school with the intent on becoming a Physician Assistant and no way I can care for others when I can't even take care of myself. It's time to adhere to the rules of the rebellion and act.

Thanks for welcoming me to the community. Now it's time for me to reciprocate by becoming an active member.

VANGELIS

WEREBUNNY

ADVENTURER

LEVEL 1

Challenge Goals 

Wow!

Epic /fail

FFwd four months and I've done jack & shite. Well, not entirely true. I have gotten back into golf with range time, lessons, and practice time plus I'm coaching youth Spring football which has shined a light on just how out of shape I am.

Get to the point!

My seven year old poked my belly the other night and in true kid fashion, blurted out the truth: "FAT DADDY"

Add to this some recent pics I've seen of myself and I'm down right embarrassed. I don't even recognize myself. I have to do something, anything to turn all of this potential energy into kinetic energy. I decided to spend some duckets on the Rebel Strength Guide and intend to use it. Summer is nearly here and I'll need to be high energy to keep up with my three boys who are in Go-mode nonstop. I'm also starting back to school with the intent on becoming a Physician Assistant and no way I can care for others when I can't even take care of myself. It's time to adhere to the rules of the rebellion and act.

Thanks for welcoming me to the community. Now it's time for me to reciprocate by becoming an active member.

I had a similar incident the other day. My friends 3 year old said  "wow you have a fat belly". Gotta love filterless kids. Just take it as motivation. You got this!

And in this existence, I'll stay persistent

And I'll make a difference, and I will have lived it- MFTP

Battle Log

Don't take it too hard, guys. Kids say the darnedest things, or so they say. Vangelis, the Reb Guide is well worth it, but only when you get off your own duff and get to it. Consider this your kick in the behind to do so. Get on it! You don't want me to come find you and kick your butt for real. ; )

Level 8 Half-Elven Ninja (3 Assassin/5 Monk)

[sTR 15.5] [DEX 13] [CON 10] [sTA 13] [WIS 19] [CHA 9]

"With great power there must also come great responsibility" - Amazing Fantasy #15

"Pressure makes diamonds." - Gen. George S. Patton

about.me/daniel.mccarthy Follow my blog

Don't take it too hard, guys. Kids say the darnedest things, or so they say. Vangelis, the Reb Guide is well worth it, but only when you get off your own duff and get to it. Consider this your kick in the behind to do so. Get on it! You don't want me to come find you and kick your butt for real. ; )

THIR YES THIR!!!!!

VANGELIS

WEREBUNNY

ADVENTURER

LEVEL 1

Challenge Goals 

Archived