Forums are back in action! ×

HEY LADIES! How do you find clothes that fit? I needs help.

Has anybody tried the Levi's ID jeans. They claim to have fixed the problem of the dreaded gap (though thanks to spezzy's wonderful graphic, I am now considering the cocktail umbrella solution) I have been meaning to go try some on, but haven't gotten around to it. I wear a lot of skirts these days.

cocktail umbrellas are obviously the best solution.

i haven't tried them, but just looked them up and will now.

the jeans im wearing right now are levis, and the best fitting jeans i've found in a long time. just not the id ones.

EDIT: damnit. looking up the ID jeans, they're womens sizes. i havent been able to wear womens sizes in forever.

sigh.

theres a levis store around here, guess ill have to go there to actually try them on first.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Most jeans are made for women with skinny legs, no ass, and a gut. Uhh... how many people have that body type?? Not too many.

I am the exact opposite of that build... so I get the "gap". Not my fault that being muscular means that I have large quads and hips, haha. I need to try those Levi's ID jeans.

i have really huge quads, i'm also carrying extra weight around the mid section -- but it's usually easier to find jeans that fit my waist (easy, go up a size) than fit my legs.

i've found a few pairs of jeans that actually work well.. the old navy sweetheart boot cut jean on the cheaper end, and on the expensive almost want to shoot yourself price: joes jeans, either the provocateur or the standard socialite.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

The problem with retail clothing is that it's almost invariably designed on dress forms and then unilaterally expanded by just drawing lines a certain distance from the original pattern design. Real people have a lot more variance than do dress forms, and even if that weren't true, most people aren't just bigger versions of dress forms.

That pretty much means that you can either take what you get, have what you get altered, or make your own clothes. With the exception of T-shirts, I'm pretty much using option 3, myself.

I have the opposite of the gap problem, being more the travel sized version of the goddess/offensive lineman build from the cracked article, and I am SO JEALOUS of the cocktail umbrellas you all are about to be sporting.

"The future will be different if we make the present different."

Peter Maurin

I hear you on the issues with clothing sizes and shapes for women! Athleta has some decent stuff that often fits. Eddie Bauer Blakely fit for curvy women can sometimes work. Some of the new Carthart for Women stuff seems ok for tops but not as well fitting for bottoms at least for me. I buy Travelsmith men's silk/cotton t-shirts, baggy but comfortable. Their travel pants for women with elastic sides also fit well. If you have a military outlet, BDUs fit quite well but look a bit odd for most jobs.

While it's not really an option for normal clothes, almost any clothing from 1600 or earlier will fit better. 2 reasons, the styles were designed for women to work in and you have to make it yourself so it actually fits. Plus men's early clothing is also great fitting for women. Then again showing up to work in a full doublet may not be an option for most folks. I've actually worn a corset and mantua to work in but not everyone can do that. Plus I live where I could get away with anything, even up to and including a full Elizabethan gown and only get a few comments on it. The advantages of being in a small diverse town and having a reputation as a bit of a wild woman. ;-)

A duct tape double is helpful but in hindsight don't stuff it so tight you can't corset it. BTDT and now I have to make a new one.

My problem is I have decided that jeans with a belt and tucked in shirt are about my only option. I need to have all my stuff on my belt all the time and that is what really looks bad. I then wear a long sleeve shirt or sweater over it no matter the season. I sunburn and short sleeves are not a good idea for me.

What we really need is to bring back a tailor in every town and get a few well made perfectly fitting clothes.

I've often dreamed that I wanted to go to London and ask for haute couture working clothes just to get something that fits!

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Sadly, we were doomed as soon as manufacturing became standardized. My feet don't fit standardized shoes, and my hips doesn't fit standardized clothing.

Clearly we need to bring back 1600s fashion. Or at the very least, local tailors.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

BDUs? Really? I would have thought they'd be pretty baggy for women, as that is how they're designed. I think the order goes something like "...comfortable and loose-fitting." I know mine are not the most form-fitting, that's what my service and dress uniforms are for.

I'm afraid I can't offer many ideas, other than "try lots of brands and ignore the arbitrary number on the label." Women's sizing numbers are stoooooopid. I really wish they would just put a number for inches on the jeans like they do with men's clothing, it would make SO much more sense. Not helping is the way every brand cuts their clothes differently. Some brands I just won't wear because they are only made for a body type which I do not have.

What really gets me is how, when I finally find a style of jeans I like, sure enough THEY STOP MAKING THEM. I've got a couple of ragged pairs with holes in them that I don't want to throw out because they cannot be replaced, but I always tell myself I'm going to find a tailor to reproduce them and then I never actually do that. (No one in my family gets their clothes tailored, so I don't know how to find one or what they charge. The last time I went to a dry cleaner with an unusual request, I had a bad experience: long story short, they ruined an expensive heirloom item.)

p.s. If you ever have the fortune to go to east Asia, I hear tailors there are reeeeallly cheap.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

BDUs? Really? I would have thought they'd be pretty baggy for women, as that is how they're designed. I think the order goes something like "...comfortable and loose-fitting." I know mine are not the most form-fitting, that's what my service and dress uniforms are for.

I live in BDUs and similarly constructed cargo pants, because I need pants that I can work in (most girls pants are either too flimsy or the pockets are tiny). I'm fairly short, though, so I usually end up having to re-sew the inseam to fit my proportions better. They're baggier than most pants (especially the jeggings that are so popular these days....), but I don't find them to be unflattering, and you don't get the awkward bunching of fabric at the waist that you get with looser jeans, because they aren't made for size 0s.

"It is not childish to live with uncertainty, to devote oneself to a craft rather than a career, to an idea rather than an institution." -Mamet

I am going to have to check out clearance at athleta. I live in a military town (for another month at any rate, so BDUs would be awkward), plus if I start wearing military stuff, I will never be able to convince Joe to stop wearing his old army stuff every day. Tailoring is just not an option on my budget. Anything not clearance is not an option on my budget. Sigh. It looks like my old standby (men's 501s) is gonna be around for a while. They accomodate my blocky figure and don't squeeze my calves. Plus they cuff well so It doesn't matter what inseam lengths are available in my waist size on the day I manage to drag myself out shopping. I just wish I had more options.

Peter Maurin

BDUs? Really? I would have thought they'd be pretty baggy for women, as that is how they're designed.

They are a bit baggy in the thighs for me but fit at the waist without the gap there. And I usually need baggy, or at least able to move in all my clothes, I may have to chase a sheep or something.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

If you investigate, you'll probably find tailors in or near your town.

I've tried, there are no real tailors within 100 miles of me. A lot of people who sew, and one lady who is absolutely a wizard when it comes to alterations if you can convince her to do them. I've been trying to get her to teach a class on it. She can take a heavy winter coat and shorten the sleeves and make it look perfect. She says she can't teach, all I want to do is apprentice by watching her do stuff but she won't go for it.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

IAnything not clearance is not an option on my budget.

You might take a look at Sierra Trading Post. They do incredible clearances as long as you know the brand and size you need you can watch for it and get it really inexpensively. Usually closeouts and seconds but I've always been happy with my purchases there.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

I am going to have to check out clearance at athleta. I live in a military town (for another month at any rate, so BDUs would be awkward), plus if I start wearing military stuff, I will never be able to convince Joe to stop wearing his old army stuff every day. Tailoring is just not an option on my budget. Anything not clearance is not an option on my budget. S

Do you have Kohl's in Texas?

My favorite pair of jeans (levis) I got there for (iirc) $2.80 (on clearance :))

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

You might take a look at Sierra Trading Post. They do incredible clearances as long as you know the brand and size you need you can watch for it and get it really inexpensively. Usually closeouts and seconds but I've always been happy with my purchases there.

I love Sierra Trading Post. I'm a big fan of Gramicci pants/shorts for climbing, but I'm also a college kid, meaning cheaper = better. So, what I do is get emailed updates from Sierra Trading Post when an item has been discounted and buy whatever I need when the price is low.

"It is not childish to live with uncertainty, to devote oneself to a craft rather than a career, to an idea rather than an institution." -Mamet

Slightly off topic, but Happy International Women's Day! I have no idea what that means, but I got free coffee this morning! WAY TO HAVE BOOBS!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

I totally can't afford athleta. :( But I threw myself on the mercy of the guys at the gap and they found pants that fit. They aren't as stylish as the ones that don't but ill-fitting clothes aren't chic either. Also it's always a good day to have boobs!

Peter Maurin

On a side note, I had an interesting conversation with my boyfriend when he asked if women's clothes ever come in odd numbers. I started to explain that for juniors sizes they are odd numbers, he kept asking "why" to every answer I had (because they were bad answers) and what I have landed on is that sizing for women's clothes is complete bunk. How does anyone accept that this is any sort of system?

? They're even numbers up here.

Absolutely they're bunk. Half the stores have made their sizes bigger than standard so people can feel good about squeezing into a "smaller" size. The numbers mean nothing.

- Seneca, 63 AD