Forums are back in action! ×

anyone else at a very beginning fitness level ?

Eats-Own-Tail

im at a very beginning fitness level and would like to find others like this.

i cant do a single push up, squat or sit up, i cant do star jumps because my body is so heavy and cumbersome.

i can climb the stairs 2 times in a row.

i used to game an awful lot but now i am switching to games that require me to move about.

here is my blog, which i have made to avoid spamming the forum with all my little updates: http://toblackmarsh.blogspot.co.uk/

Many people come to NF at the level you described. Check out the Beginning Body Weight workout and modify as you need so you can build up to doing squats, pushups and situps.  Also, make sure you are eating a healthy diet so you don't cancel out any exercise you get in by over eating.

Good luck.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I am in pretty bad shape, 70+lbs overweight with v little core strength. But I'm getting there. Can't do pushups. So am doing wall pushups at the moment. 4 weeks ago I could only 20 odd wall pushups...last week I did 80 and tomorrow I will be attempting 100 after following the hundred pushups program. I'm amazed at the progress I've made after such a short time only doing 3 sessions a week. If I crack that 100 I'll be moving into inclined pushups on the stairs...then once I've done 100 of those I'll do standard ones.

Squats can be progressed up to as well using chairs for support.

Even something as gentle as walking/standing will help. Go for a walk every day, change your PC desk to a standing one so you're using your muscles.

...and yeah diet will play a huge part. I've been eating primally for a few years on and off. The off times I am v lethargic and achy.

Or, if you're so inclined, you could just jump into whichever guild you think most closely resembles your fitness goals. You may find (as I have) that their efforts help inspire you as you struggle...and I would know, as I'm right there at level 0 myself.

This is about long-term benefit and long-term changes in lifestyle. As long as you put in honest consistent effort, you'll notice improvements. I've been fortunate to have seen one or two, and I've only been at it for a month.

Walk. I've learned that the general consensus for really big people (like my self, 193kg) is to just walk. It does what it needs to and is doable by everyone. I've had an active enough lifestyle that I can do squats and such, but walking is my preferred cardio method as running is too painful and some machines are just awkward.

You can still do lots of weight training. Body weight training is very hard for us, but incline push-ups are much easier. Be sure to stay at the same angle though. I started nearly two weeks ago and am an inch from doing one REAL push-up! I never though I would be able to do it. Planks were super hard for me. I could barely do 15 seconds at a time on the first set. Now I have done 30 seconds for two straight! The results make you feel really good!

“The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?† 
 -Billy Connoly , The Boondock saints
Level 2 Warrior

I am in pretty bad shape, 70+lbs overweight with v little core strength. But I'm getting there. Can't do pushups. So am doing wall pushups at the moment. 4 weeks ago I could only 20 odd wall pushups...last week I did 80 and tomorrow I will be attempting 100 after following the hundred pushups program. I'm amazed at the progress I've made after such a short time only doing 3 sessions a week. If I crack that 100 I'll be moving into inclined pushups on the stairs...then once I've done 100 of those I'll do standard ones.

Squats can be progressed up to as well using chairs for support.

Even something as gentle as walking/standing will help. Go for a walk every day, change your PC desk to a standing one so you're using your muscles.

...and yeah diet will play a huge part. I've been eating primally for a few years on and off. The off times I am v lethargic and achy.

Sounds to me like you are already able to move to the stairs.

This too, shall pass.

Oh, my husband and I are right there with you on this one! So far, we cannot complete even one set of the beginners body weight workout. But we're keeping at it. And I found a great 15 minute 'walk' program through our Cable On Demand that we're going to use on the days we aren't doing to body weight workout. 

It's hard, but I know we'll all appreciate the pay off in the end!

Level One Water Elf

STR 2/DEX 2/STA 2/CON 1/WIS 3/CHA 5

^^^ I have no actual idea what that means. 

Goal right now: 10% body weight loss. 

Archived