Forums are back in action! ×

"You're really skinny. You've lost weight!"

BopGun

Neither of the above statements is true, but it didn't prevent two people from saying them to me last night. Went out for a couple of drinks after work, and two acquaintances whom I hadn't seen in about two months said this. It took me by surprise, to say the least.

My pants are fitting looser since beginning weightlifting, but it isn't anything dramatic. Hell, I still have my combination food/beer gut, combined with basically zero strength. Can't squat worth a crap yet. Still, this is the first piece of external motivation I've received face-to-face. Gotta keep at it. :)

What they really mean is "You look great!" 

(Most people can't imagine that looking better could be a result of anything other than weightloss/sizeloss.)

And let's face it, looking great feels great :)

Go You!

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

A lot of time you lose some of the weight in your face almost instantly, and when your face looks thinner it makes you look thinner! It takes 12 weeks to be able to notice it yourself, most of the time it's the people we see monthly or less than that, that will notice the difference first. Those we see daily and you yourself will have to wait to see the awesome changes happening on the outside :) 

I do however hate the 'You look so skinny!" compliments. I hate that everyone assumes weight loss is only superficial! It irks me even more when someone says it around my kids. I REALLY don't want them to grow up thinking that exercise and healthy foods are only beneficial to their appearance and that they need to strive for beauty not health >.<. I try very hard to make sure they understand that I do what I do to be healthy not pretty. Looking good is just an added bonus ;) 

Level 10 Wandering Nord

Constitution: 15.5 Strength: 14 Wisdom: 17.5 Stamina: 12.25 Dexterity: 2 Charisma: 8
Current Challenge: Picking Up The Pieces

Also, they may be remarking on some gained confidence that you are exuding.  I know that when I feel that I am making positive changes, my face changes.  My lines smooth out some, and it actually makes me look younger!  If I'm off my exercise, have stress, and know that I am eating poorly, I look way older, and not as thin.

Level 3 Pandaren Adventurer

“You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.†–A.A. Milne   (Thanks to magi192 for posting this!)

Archived