Forums are back in action! ×

Lent

RockNRollQT

So tomorrow is lent

lent is a time where Christians for six and half weeks abstain from luxuries.

Christans do this to remember the 40 days and 40 nights Jesus spent alone in the desert being tempted by the Devil.

Anyways people do this to improve spiritual growth and devlopment.
However I think anyone can do lent its helpful for personal goals and growth.

So for me i will be giving up...

beer

Will you be giving anything up?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different

STR:2 DEX: 2 STA: 2 CON: 3 WIS: 3 CHA: 3

I'm giving up casual cursing. It's a HORRIBLE habit I developed/sustain because it's part of our work culture. It's not unusual for one of our execs to drop an f-bomb in an all hands meeting, and to be honest I don't think I've EVER been in a meeting that lasted more than 30 minutes that was curse free. Anyways, besides being vigilant myself, I've given my friends permission to give me a stern look with pointy finger or smack on the hand if they catch me. I'm actually enlisting their help this year! 

Cee, Level 2 Wood Elf Adventurer of the Earth Kingdom

STR 4.5 . DEX 1 . STA 3 . CON 5 . WIS 8.75 . CHA 4

ch 0|ch 1|challenge 2

I'm giving up Coffee, I've sworn to drink tea/water/Juice instead, so these 40 days are going to be VERY sleepy =_=

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

To start, I'm giving up booze and long showers. In the coming weeks, I'm also going to address some other habits of excess and idleness that could be changed for the better.

I think it's very important not just to remove things from our lives, but to focus on virtues and add positive influences in place of trouble spots--replace bad habits with good ones. My biggest struggles are with pride and negative thoughts, so I'm looking for constructive ways to start to overcome those in my daily life.

Isn't the point of lent to give up on something that'll help others, not just giving up on luxuries for sake of personal goals and growth?

Like quitting smoking and then donating your smoke money to charity?

The point of lent is to reflect on one's way of living life by using Christ's time in the Desert for 40 days. I've always been taught that it was to help you grow closer to God in your own ways. Should this help you help others, then all the more power to you.

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

Probably right.

And probably my beef with religion too.

I've often found that people have a problem with the Organization of the Religion more so than the actual religion itself, IE The Vatican more than Catholicism.

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Isn't the point of lent to give up on something that'll help others, not just giving up on luxuries for sake of personal goals and growth?

I'd offer that intentionally developing personal discipline and self-control can have positive effects for a longer period than 40 days.  It's one thing to volunteer your time and energy (as all Christians should do), but to donate it poorly isn't much help to anyone.  I'm giving up dairy for Lent because I'm growing too resistant to hard work and that's no good to anyone around me.

But like you, I don't see much benefit (spiritual or otherwise) from "I'm giving up _______ for lent so I can lose weight/save money/get chicks."  Some lenten sacrifices might even be destructive.  For example, I know a lot of people who give up facebook for Lent, but that cuts them off from people who use facebook as their primary means of communication and connection.

PR's

5k - 21:29

10k - 47:26 43:29

21.1 - 2:05:26 1:44:21

Jumping in late, because I kept meaning to do this, but then didn't. Now posting will hopefully give me necessary willpower. I'm giving up my morning computer time. Earliest I can be on the computer is 11:00

The OtherScott : I'm going to have to disagree with you on the fact that giving up facebook is harmful. My friends have done it. Facebook, while fun and a useful tool, can also be a HUGE time waster and addictive. Unplugging for awhile helps people keep it in check. As far as communicating with them, seems like unless they have moved to the jungle there are still many ways:texting,email,calls, or maybe even seeing them in person :welcoming:

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

seeing them in person :welcoming:

Whaaa?! Seeing them in person?! You mean like "FACE-TO-FACE" interaction!? That's just absurd!!

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Whaaa?! Seeing them in person?! You mean like "FACE-TO-FACE" interaction!? That's just absurd!!

ha! Knew it was a crazy plan, but stil felt strangely compelled to mention it

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I've also stopped using Facebook for personal use. (I'm an administrator on a work Facebook account, so I have to keep using that.) I may stop using it entirely!

I'm also going through a Bible-reading plan for Lent, and a book of short articles on the Cross. 

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

Glad to see im not alone.. anyways, i think i will join kristen and stop think negitive thoughts.

Funny thing happend to me last night i dreamed of making beer, however im going to be strong and not have beer till after easter.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different

STR:2 DEX: 2 STA: 2 CON: 3 WIS: 3 CHA: 3

I love lent because of fish fries. The one time of year that some Catholics decide they will follow the no meat on Friday rule and cheat with fish. Yummy cheap fish. I also like lent because of Mardi Gras. An excuse to over indulge.

I have no problem with individual spirituality. I have a problem with hypocritical organized religion. Telling you what you should do. If you want to find a connection with Jesus I don't think giving up one first world luxury is the right way. However I do recognize that lent is enough motivation to make a positive change in some people's lives.

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

I love lent because of fish fries. The one time of year that some Catholics decide they will follow the no meat on Friday rule and cheat with fish. Yummy cheap fish. I also like lent because of Mardi Gras. An excuse to over indulge.

I have no problem with individual spirituality. I have a problem with hypocritical organized religion. Telling you what you should do. If you want to find a connection with Jesus I don't think giving up one first world luxury is the right way. However I do recognize that lent is enough motivation to make a positive change in some people's lives.

I take a lot of issue with some of the Catholic traditions, but many of them are good practices, if used correctly. (Fish isn't meat? What? I'm with you there.) It's not just about someone "telling you what to do" it's about a particular church tradition setting up their own rules for how to practice. We have the freedom to choose which church to join and which way to practice, or to practice some other religion, or no religion at all. However, Christianity is a collective religion. If you respect our individual spirituality, you must also respect the fact that it also means we are called to join together. The entire existence of a Christian on earth is founded upon being a member of a functioning unit, the collective assembly of believers, the "communion of saints" or "the body of Christ."  Whatever you want to call it, there must be some orderly way for believers to meet together, study, worship, and pray. Sure, some leaders in some churches have done things that don't well represent a Christlike life. Clergy are no more righteous than laypeople. Churches are run by people, people mess up. It irks me to see the word "hypocritical" thrown around when discussing organized religion because it's just describing human nature--we all make mistakes. All of us. Always. If anything, seeing that clergy members in very high positions of power commit horrible sins shouldn't cast doubt on Christianity or the church--it completely validates it. All people are broken. You, me, the pope--everyone. Judge not, throw the first stone, wokka wokka wokka...

I remember the phrase from a sermon "Jesus gave us tools, not rules" and fasting is one of those tools. Fasting is a Biblical mandate--God commanded the Israelites to fast, and even after the law was removed, Jesus still instructed that we should fast, but there are no instructions about exactly how to do it. Some churches give us additional rules or guidelines about how and when to fast. When practiced mindfully, any form of fasting can be a very effective tool for spiritual growth. The purpose, intention, and method can be different for everyone. 

Moreover, giving up habits of luxury, excess, and idleness are actually very important. We are commanded to live simply, not to take more than we need, and to spend our time, money, and resources wisely. Giving up something for Lent is a great way to refocus our intentions and get our daily practices in line with that ideal.

The point of fasting is to build your relationship with God, become a better Christian. And the most important commandment is love, so being a better Christian means loving more, giving more, helping others more. Charity (in the general, Christian, "love your neighbor" sense) doesn't just mean giving money and time to organized charity (in the secular sense), it means treating every person with dignity and kindness, in all of our actions, thoughts, and speech. But in order to love effectively, we have to commit to personal growth. So in a roundabout way, yes and yes. 

I take a lot of issue with some of the Catholic traditions, but many of them are good practices, if used correctly. (Fish isn't meat? What? I'm with you there.) It's not just about someone "telling you what to do" it's about a particular church tradition setting up their own rules for how to practice. We have the freedom to choose which church to join and which way to practice, or to practice some other religion, or no religion at all. However, Christianity is a collective religion. If you respect our individual spirituality, you must also respect the fact that it also means we are called to join together. The entire existence of a Christian on earth is founded upon being a member of a functioning unit, the collective assembly of believers, the "communion of saints" or "the body of Christ."  Whatever you want to call it, there must be some orderly way for believers to meet together, study, worship, and pray. Sure, some leaders in some churches have done things that don't well represent a Christlike life. Clergy are no more righteous than laypeople. Churches are run by people, people mess up. It irks me to see the word "hypocritical" thrown around when discussing organized religion because it's just describing human nature--we all make mistakes. All of us. Always. If anything, seeing that clergy members in very high positions of power commit horrible sins shouldn't cast doubt on Christianity or the church--it completely validates it. All people are broken. You, me, the pope--everyone. Judge not, throw the first stone, wokka wokka wokka...

I remember the phrase from a sermon "Jesus gave us tools, not rules" and fasting is one of those tools. Fasting is a Biblical mandate--God commanded the Israelites to fast, and even after the law was removed, Jesus still instructed that we should fast, but there are no instructions about exactly how to do it. Some churches give us additional rules or guidelines about how and when to fast. When practiced mindfully, any form of fasting can be a very effective tool for spiritual growth. The purpose, intention, and method can be different for everyone. 

Moreover, giving up habits of luxury, excess, and idleness are actually very important. We are commanded to live simply, not to take more than we need, and to spend our time, money, and resources wisely. Giving up something for Lent is a great way to refocus our intentions and get our daily practices in line with that ideal.

The point of fasting is to build your relationship with God, become a better Christian. And the most important commandment is love, so being a better Christian means loving more, giving more, helping others more. Charity (in the general, Christian, "love your neighbor" sense) doesn't just mean giving money and time to organized charity (in the secular sense), it means treating every person with dignity and kindness, in all of our actions, thoughts, and speech. But in order to love effectively, we have to commit to personal growth. So in a roundabout way, yes and yes. 

Love this post

I celebrate Lent, and this year I am working on not cursing, since I have a horribly dirty mouth, which isn't cool. The phrase "give up"  is a little misleading, because really I think you are supposed to be working on an area of life that is a bad habit or not the way you want to be. Like gossiping too much, road rage, cursing, getting drunk a lot, etc etc. And different people have different ideas of what improving their life is, depending on their personal set of beliefs. And of course it isn't supposed to be limited to the forty days, you are supposed to continue being more virtuous or less sinful throughout the rest of your life. I can't go back to cursing whenever after Lent is over, that would be missing the point. 

Catholics abstain from meat on Fridays during Lent in remembrance of the day Jesus died, and also to meditate on those who are forced to eat simply or not at all because of poverty. If you don't eat meat, but have lobster and other expensive, luxurious items, the whole point is missed. Fish is eaten or allowed because it is a symbol of Christ. My church does a simple Lenten dinner, followed by the stations of the cross, which is a really interesting experience.A full fast is done on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. I sometimes forget to not eat meat, but it is a good practice. 

The point of Lent is remembrance of Jesus, a time for self examination, and preparation for Easter--the most important time in the church. The three "pillars" of Lent are prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. Doing these things are supposed to bring you closer to God, improve your spiritual well being, and strengthen your community. Of course, you are encouraged to do these things outside of Lent as well.

As far as organized religion goes, I am Catholic, and find the community support and atmosphere very helpful and awesome. Do I agree with everything the church teaches? Nope. Do I think being part of the church makes my life better and is the right decision for me? Yes. Would I try to force other people to be Catholic? Nope. I think as a person who has a brain you have a responsibility to examine what people tell you and decide if it is right or wrong, and if it is something you truly believe. I tried the individual spirituality route, and it didn't work for me, neither did more progressive churches. That doesn't mean that it isn't the right path for you, or a lot of other people. People have to find the right fit for themselves, and it isn't a decision anyone can make for you. 

Very well said.  Thanks for this.

PR's

5k - 21:29

10k - 47:26 43:29

21.1 - 2:05:26 1:44:21

I agree with the view Kristen and marybelle have. I just wish more people were level headed and had a sensible view of religion. I was exposed to an extreme of Catholics as a kid. 'because the bible says so, don't ask questions' If only there were less crazy extremists in the world. Although I do disagree with the point of the horrible clergy. Yes humans make mistakes but they should have lost their positions of power and not have tried to cover it up with lies. I have a bigger problem with how the situations were handled. And shouldn't the clergy be leading by example.

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

Um, so I know I'm late to the party (but it's Lent, which is all somber and serious, so whatever the opposite of a party is), but I decided to take on a discipline this time around. I've chosen to start meditating - twice per day, with the goal of achieving twenty minutes per session.

My hope is that knowing how close Jesus is at any given moment will kindle in me a desire to be closer to him in turn. I'm selfish enough to want changes in my character as well, but I also know that's not the point.

Archived