Forums are back in action! ×

Call me Toadfish...

I have tried this so many times before, but none of the other 'plans' or 'diets' really sunk in very deeply. Oh, I lost weight, and then found that weight again (and it's cousin) along the way. I just spent the last month
reading through the entire Nerd Fitness archive and a fair bit of the Community and I realized "These are my people!†I've already done a few things to jump start my final change to a healthy, fit person:

Switched about 90% Primal

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'll be able to move 100%. Part of what I am doing to transform myself is also going from the
high-paying-sit-on-your-ass-10-hours-a-day back to where my passion and joy actually live; cooking. So, 3 days a week I stage (pronounced 'stahj' because it's French and they have funny tongues) at a very nice restaurant. Unfortunately, this means tasting and trying lots of things that aren't strictly Primal. Meals I cook for my wife and I are all Primal, and I'm really looking forward to adapting the dishes I love making to the Primal methods.

Dropped Caffeine (Mostly)

I had an addiction, seriously. When I first kicked soda to the curb, I craved it more than the carbs I was not eating. The headaches were horrible! Thankfully, I had switched to diet soda years (and years) ago so I wasn't getting calories from it, just chemicals, dyes, fake sugars, and caffeine. I say I've mostly switched as I have had some unsweetened ice tea as a break from pure water a few times. At home I have  decaffeinated tea, but out and about, I'm guessing I still get some.

Walking

Since I no longer have caffeine as my morning crutch, I started talking my dog for a walk first thing in the morning. So far, in the month of my easing into this new lifestyle, I've only missed 2 days! I enjoy the quiet, pre-dawn walks through the little area I live in, and the dog enjoys sniffing everything right before urinating on it.

In the (roughly) month I've been doing this, I've lost almost 20 pounds and just really feel good. Oddly (for me) I am still very excited about what I'm doing and how I'm changing! I am very interested in the RPG/challenges aspect of how things work here and am looking forward to jumping into the next challenge.

1st Level Brobdingnagian Ogre Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Current Challenge: Challenge #1

Battle Log: Battletoad(fish)

Welcome!  You've made some great strides toward your goals already.  :)  Way to go!  The next challenge will be starting up soon (current one ends Feb 18th, I believe, and we usually have about a week off in between challenges).  Do you have some goals figured out for next challenge yet?  :)

Glad you're here!

SambieWlks,

Thanks for the reply! I actually spent my lunch break figuring out what my goals will be and how I will score them. I've got my fitness goals figured out, just need to come up with a good life goal (been reading through the Ranger challenge forum for inspiration).

Thanks again and glad to be here!

1st Level Brobdingnagian Ogre Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Current Challenge: Challenge #1

Battle Log: Battletoad(fish)

Those are great accomplishments and you should definitely give yourself credit for what you've been able to change so far. This is not the kind of change that will happen all at once. Taking things in bite sized pieces has been really helpful for me in terms of my ability to sustain my plan! :) 

Hearthsinger the Wandering Bard

Level 4 Halfling Ranger

STR 9 | DEX 7 | STA 12 | CON 11 | WIS 8 | CHA 9

"You are what you do. You can re-create yourself every second of your life." -Xena

Read my blog at Project Reroll. | FitBit | Current Challenge | Previous Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd

Archived