Forums are back in action! ×

Advice Needed

Optimus Prime

I haven't been on in a while.  So, a few challenges ago I mentioned that I was having a bit of a shoulder issue.  Well, that ended up being a torn labrum in my right shoulder which required surgery.  It was likely caused during boxing lessons.  Either way, I had the surgery back in October.  Basically wasn't able to do a lot during the 3 month recovery period as far as exercise goes and I was pretty depressed about it.

I was cleared by the doctor to begin running again and started using the 5K Runner app for my iPhone on the track at my gym.  Now, I'm having knee issues on both of my inner knees.  I gave it a few days off, and right now my knees feel alright, but I have a feeling it will come back the minute I step back on the track.  I'm still not really cleared to do a lot of lifting or anything.

I guess what I'm asking is - has anyone here had a similar experience where every time you get back into exercising regularly you get injured?  It's getting a bit ridiculous and I'm not really sure where to go from here.  My diet has not been good at all the last couple of weeks either.  I guess part of me just doesn't see the point if I'm going to get injured at every turn.

I should mention, I just got back to work in the middle of last month.  I'm a security guard, so I can't work if I'm injured.  Now I guess I'm being extra careful.  I have what I consider to be a decent job and I'd like to keep it.

I would seriously call your PT or rehab person - whomever you worked with after the surgery.  That person can probably help you get back on track (literally!). 

If you've been out for a while, then yeah.... it is really tough going back.  Start with soft warmup routines and very limited work - e.g. run a block, rest/walk a block, etc.  Start slower than you'd think.  You're body is probably going "WHAT???". 

Did you do much running before? 

Also, it's really common to start folks out on the bike, the elliptical, or swimming before they hit the road running - even if you have a history.  If you've been sidelined, you probably need to work up to it.  I did a lot of bike and elliptical when I was coming back.  Also - don't over do them b/c they are easy.  15 mins on 3x week, etc.  Seems like slow progress but it will add up very quickly. 

When I came back from stress fractures I was allowed to bike in low gear (little to no resistance) for 15 mins max then increase slowly over a couple of months. 

Seems normal.

But of course, if it's crippling pain - get to a doc, naturally.  Sometimes we are too ambitious when we get the "all clear" - I was. 

Also, I really recommend calling whomever PT'd you after your surgery.  They'll have good advice and can give you a quick plan. 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Yeah I'd have a chat with some medical or physio folk about what they think you should do.

I have had to change what sports I play because getting back to fitness and being able to train is more important to me than the particular sports I wanted to play....but it was close. I'm also injury prone but I'm slack when it comes to stretching and I never "work on my core" which is what the physio tells me to do to help prevent injury.

What I can say for sure is running definitely hurts my joints so I got some swimming lessons instead. I have never been injured swimming and I don't get any joint pain from it...in fact I feel much more supple and stiffen up now if I haven't been swimming.

I know it's depressing not being able to exercise when you are injured and even worse when you get back to it and get injured straight away. I broke my finger playing cricket and then 1 week after I got back from it I tore my calf muscle playing squash. I felt like all that rehab and hard work on the hand had been for nothing. In the end though you soldier on and stick to your rehab you will come back eventually and appreciate your sport the more for it.

Reality is you do have to be a bit more careful as you get older (I'm 39) or if you have been out with an injury for a while. Just take it easy at first and give swimming a go, if you can get into it then it's a really low impact exercise and very tiring, very good for you.

Chin up and good luck, you'll be back into it before you know it.

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Archived