Forums are back in action! ×

Finally a Rebel

Hello everybody.

I'm not too sure what all to post here, but I figured I'd get my first post out of the way.

I've been looking for ways to get in shape - including diet and fitness tips - for a long time. Over the past couple years during this search I have come across Nerd Fitness several times, read a lot of the articles (some more than once), and even discussed with some friends some of the things I read.

Well, last week I finally decided to join the rebellion. I have been given my first three missions and believe I may have found a place to help out with my lack of motivation. Today I signed up for the forums. I hope that I can draw inspiration from all of you in order to meet my goals.

A little about me...I'm 32, married, have 3 kids (between 2-9) and work an 8-hour per day desk job. When I was younger and a few kids lighter I used to be a lot more active, but it seems like time flies with all my responsibilities (I know, an excuse already). I have been going to a local gym for the past 10 or so months, but it has been irregular attendance at best. I am about 5' 8.5" tall and weight about 196 pounds. That's not good. About 2 1/2 years ago (while deployed to Afghanistan) I had all the time in the world to spend in the gym. I was down to about 183 pounds and looking a lot better than I do now.

My short-term goals are to start eating a lot healthier; cut down on sodas, coffees, energy drinks, fast/unhealthy foods, and find some discipline to apply to portion control. I love to eat, and when it's good I tend to over-eat. I also want to improve my overall fitness. Ideally I would like to improve my strength and endurance while slimming down to somewhere in the 180-185 range.

I'll leave it at that for now.

Lvl 2 Half-Orc Adventurer

STR:6 | DEX:3.5 | STA:5 | CON:5 | WIS:7 | CHA:3

Challeges: 1st 

Mini-Challenges: Eradicating Cardio-Free (Complete), Making Connections (Complete)

Inventory: Belt of Endurance, Babel Fish

Hi Teddysnitzel! Welcome to the rebellion!

Whew, three kids! No wonder you feel you have less time than you used to :D

In terms of your goals, you've come to the right place! Are you thinking of joining in the next 6-week challenge? It starts in about a week and can be a great source of advice and motivation.

As for eating healthily, do you have any particular eating plan (not diet, but way of eating) that you'd like to follow? A lot of rebels enjoy the paleo style of eating and tend to find that it is a way of eating that naturally leads to portion control and weight-loss. It might suit your love of eating :) However, it's not everyone's cup of tea, and there're plenty of rebels doing other things too.

Welcome!!

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Welcome! :D

Cutting down on Soda/Energy drinks & Fast food is a GREAT way to get going on your goals! 

Redcat, Hero of Rivertown (once known as Teabunneh)

Shapeshifter | Scout | Lvl 2 STR +4 | DEX +2 | STA +6 | CON +7 | WIS +7 | CHA +2Vanquished Challenges: 1 Current ChallengeA Tale of TeaRunning Paleo; Accountability group: Shiny New Scouts

"Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right." - Henry Ford

Welcome to the rebellion and thanks for your service.  If getting to the gym is hard, why not find ways to workout that don't involve a gym? Do bodyweight workouts or get your own freeweights.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Hi Teddysnitzel! Welcome to the rebellion!

Whew, three kids! No wonder you feel you have less time than you used to :D

In terms of your goals, you've come to the right place! Are you thinking of joining in the next 6-week challenge? It starts in about a week and can be a great source of advice and motivation.

As for eating healthily, do you have any particular eating plan (not diet, but way of eating) that you'd like to follow? A lot of rebels enjoy the paleo style of eating and tend to find that it is a way of eating that naturally leads to portion control and weight-loss. It might suit your love of eating :) However, it's not everyone's cup of tea, and there're plenty of rebels doing other things too.

Welcome!!

Thanks Sambalina. I do plan on joining in the next 6-week challenge. Sounds like it is a good way to feed of others' success and keep yourself motivated. Any recommendations?

I did something similar to Paleo a few years ago. It didn't involve as much discipline since there was a cheat day built in ("controlled portions" but ANYTHING I felt like eating), but I liked the results. I'm thinking of using a transition to Paleo as one of my goals :nevreness:

Mini-Challenges: Eradicating Cardio-Free (Complete), Making Connections (Complete)

Oh yeah? Kind of like Time Ferriss' 'slow-carb' diet? That has one really over the top cheat day a week, and the rest of the week is this 'slow-carb' style eating. Some people find it's just amazing, and others find it doesn't work for them at all (as with ALL ways of eating!).

If you wanna check it out - maybe it's your thang :)

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Oh yeah? Kind of like Time Ferriss' 'slow-carb' diet? That has one really over the top cheat day a week, and the rest of the week is this 'slow-carb' style eating. Some people find it's just amazing, and others find it doesn't work for them at all (as with ALL ways of eating!).

If you wanna check it out - maybe it's your thang :)

Something similar to that. I don't know what it was called, but I learned about it while I was in Afghanistan for a year a few years ago. A few guys I was working with read about this diet that was designed to reduce body fat and build muscle mass. Since I had nothing but time and knew I would be in the gym a lot, I figured I would give it a try. It worked. I had to limit myself to no more than 30g carbs per day for 5 1/2 days, then for the next day and a half eat whatever I wanted. The "insulin spike" I got during day six provided a lot of extra 'juice' in the gym. I saw results quickly, but it was a difficult diet to maintain. I knew I wouldn't be able to do it once I got back to real life so I only did it while I was gone.

I'll see if Paleo is for me. I plan to slowly transitiion over the course of my first 6-week challenge and hope to be at least 90% Paleo by the end. At than point I'll know if it is something I can maintain. I'm leaving that 10% wiggle room for now due to budgetary and current lifestyle reasons. In the end, if it's good, I hope to get to 95%, saving 5% in case I need some kind of quick energy source.

What about you Sambalina? Have you gone Paleo?

Archived