Forums are back in action! ×

Howdy All

Hey all,

I'm Stephen, as my profile states.  I'm a full time engineering student, full-time Network Technician, and a member of the Arizona Army Guard.  My schedule has made things increasingly difficult to stay in shape after coming off active duty.  I've seen my once slender body slowly fade away and my strength deteriorate.  I still run 1-3 times a week, between 2-6 miles usually.   I'm 5'9" 194lbs.  My fitness goals typically revolve around my Army Physical Fitness Test.  I'd like to score over 220 points out of 300, but ultimately the goal is to get a 300.  I have a super horrible sweet tooth, so today is day 1 of limiting my simple carbs and sugars and giving up Sodas (again).

My plan  3 Runs a week

2 strength training days

1 day of recreational activity such as hiking etc.

I found this site and found the NF Challenege game to be intriguing, I'm looking forward to the extra motivation.  That said if anyone in the Phoenix Metro area is looking for a run/workout buddy, let me know.

Looking forward to future interactions.

Vanthyr Shadowstalker

Level 1 Human Ranger

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

welcome!!

there are a lot of nerds in az (former az resident myself.... now I live in va)

what do you plan to do on your strength training days?

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Welcome and thank you for your service.  Since you are wanting to focus on strength, may I suggest three days/week of strength training and run 2x/week?  The Rebel Strength Guide may be worth your while.  Good luck!

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'm still working to develop a routine for Strength training.  It'll probably be some form of cross functional activities like CrossFit, if I can afford a membership, or basic weight training at my apartments fitness room.  

I might look into changing my run/str days.  I was sticking with the rotation the Army had me programmed for because it seemed most effective for burning fat.  By Army standards I'm over weight by 15 pounds, so I wanted to look into melting some fat before trying to build muscle.

I've been debating on picking up the fitness and strength guides.  I have a general idea of how to eat healthy and how to run, but strength training is something I've always had issues with.  I'm on a bit of a budget though, so I was debating on if there was enough available on the website to carry me successfully through my goals.  I'll probably cave and buy it soon though, just because I've loved everything else i've found on this site.  Besides I also want an awesome NF shirt :-) 

Thank you for the warm welcomes and thank you for your support. It's my honor to serve! :)

Vanthyr Shadowstalker

Level 1 Human Ranger

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

awesome... I am sure you will do wonderfully!!

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Good job so far.  If you build muscle with strength training, you will use more calories when you run and therefore burn more fat.  It's a happy cycle of awesome our bodies get into when we treat them well. Good luck!

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Archived