Forums are back in action! ×

Rastaban

Another option (what I did):  I ran some parachute cord through an old metal broom handle and tied each end to my Iron Gym Pullup Bar so I could do bodyweight rows for now.  If I were doing it again, I'd make sure that the cord doesn't stretch (maybe use chain or climbing rope or something) and I still might swap it out for a more solid piece of pipe.  I am astonished at how much work I need to do on grip and forearm strength, but this lets me play with the pullup bar during the year or so of weight loss I need to do before I can realistically expect to get my first pullup.  I'm hoping that changing the length of the cord to adjust the height will let me track progression and keep me more accountable to myself than I could be with chair assist - although I'll probably try that intermittently as well :)

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Just a quick update- I still haven't been able to get that one stinking pull-up. I have noticed an improvement in my negative pull-ups, though. I'm going to make myself a bar for doing body rows (the kitchen table method is a bit scary, I don't have total faith in my table). I'm going to keep trying because I know how awesome it will be for me to do one pull-up, then ten, then twenty...

Ras'taban

Level 3 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 9 | DEX 2 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

j.r.r. tolkien

Check out my other post about pull ups... got some pictures snapped for a visual. 

that method can be used reversed (starting top and going slowly down using your foot to modulate your descent)

Link?

Ras'taban

Level 3 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 9 | DEX 2 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

j.r.r. tolkien

Archived