Forums are back in action! ×

Kettlebell question

Elastigirl

At the risk of sounding very wimp-like and people murmuring aout "Barbie weight" I ask my kettlebell question. Everyone has to start somewhere though, right?

I am doing Pavel's Enter The Kettlebell this challenge. And I am struggling with the snatch. Really struggling. As in today I lost control of the snatch and bonked myself in the head. Luckily I'm hard headed so no big damage. This was with a 15 lb kb.  Question, should I go down to 10lb snatch or should I do high pulls with 15 lbs.

And why can I do TGU"S with 20lbs but struggle with doing a snatch at 15 lbs?

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I can do clean and presses. The program has me doing c&p  3 x a week and snatche's 1 x week.

As to what is causing the failure, I think it is strength. I can do them with 10lb. When I did it with 15 lb, it was like my shoulder just sort of failed to hold it. Could have been technique, but I think my shoulder was locked and in good postion. I think the reason  I hit my head with the kb as opposed to shoulder falling backward was because my shoulder was locked and holding in place, but I didn't have the strength to lift for the final punch of the snatch move. I do clean and presses with 15 lb. I can do c&p with 20lb, but only about 2 on my weaker side.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Is it a grip issue? I change my grip throughout the snatch, loosening it on the way down and back up, then squeezing towards the top.

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

Hmm, any chance you can post a form video? If not can you compare to the below video?

Below is Phil Scarito, RKC certified doing the snatch. Is this similar to your technique? (he's one of my go-tos for KB technique videos) 

Thanks. This is the video I used to train my technique. I'll post a video later of myself. Then people can critique my form.

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/gallery/image/647-dscn1235/

This is me using the 10lb kb for snatch. I do a high pull and then a snatch.

I can't seem to upload video or picture on the threads, only on the albums

I can't see it either. 

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

Kk, I think the problem is you are not locking out the arm at the top. Your elbow is still bent quiet a bit when you are at the top. Another thing I noticed although hard to tell from a front view, it looks like the KB is going back behind you a bit and not sitting over the shoulder which will put more stress on the joint. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Kk, I think the problem is you are not locking out the arm at the top. Your elbow is still bent quiet a bit when you are at the top. Another thing I noticed although hard to tell from a front view, it looks like the KB is going back behind you a bit and not sitting over the shoulder which will put more stress on the joint. 

Thanks. When I watched the video I saw some of that too. I had never video myself before. It was amazing how you can feel like you are doing someting, but yet not be.

I see the KB going behind me, not sure why. Is that because I'm not punching enough with my fist?

Thanks. When I watched the video I saw some of that too. I had never video myself before. It was amazing how you can feel like you are doing someting, but yet not be.

I see the KB going behind me, not sure why. Is that because I'm not punching enough with my fist?

Heh, yeah videos are one of the most important tools when you train alone. I video myself once a month just to double check and make sure I am not doing anything bad.

As for going the KB going behind you, it may be that you aren't punching up enough and are simply letting the momentum of the KB carry itself backwards. I would slow down your sets so that you do one, stand there for 5 seconds and make sure everything is in the right place and tight. Then do the next rep. Actively force your arm/shoulder upwards. Now that you have seen what it looks like on video you are more able to get a mental picture of what you should be doing.

You can also work on spearing the KB from the press position to get your body used to the top position. The basic idea is to ingrain into your muscles the proper position. (This is true of the barbell snatch as well. There is a lot of conditioning and time spent with just the bar overhead without actually doing the full movement.)

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Heh, yeah videos are one of the most important tools when you train alone. I video myself once a month just to double check and make sure I am not doing anything bad.

As for going the KB going behind you, it may be that you aren't punching up enough and are simply letting the momentum of the KB carry itself backwards. I would slow down your sets so that you do one, stand there for 5 seconds and make sure everything is in the right place and tight. Then do the next rep. Actively force your arm/shoulder upwards. Now that you have seen what it looks like on video you are more able to get a mental picture of what you should be doing.

You can also work on spearing the KB from the press position to get your body used to the top position. The basic idea is to ingrain into your muscles the proper position. (This is true of the barbell snatch as well. There is a lot of conditioning and time spent with just the bar overhead without actually doing the full movement.)

You could also try the snatch from the top: press the weight into the top position and start

from there. It's totally cool to wrap your wrists for a while well. Snatches can hurt when you first start, which the makes your form off.

Great ideas. I will try that out

Quicktime and Firefox don't seem to get along. I could see the video when I pasted the URL into Chrome, if that helps anyone else.

It kind of looks like your kettlebell is swinging you and thus getting too far behind you.

The best tip I ever got was to try to focus on punching your arm up "through" the kettlebell's arc when you get to about nose-level. As you get it up there, lean into the weight, brace your core and lock out your shoulder and elbow.

I have the opposite problem from you - my get-up lags behind my c&p, swing, or snatch.

If your can't fix it with bacon, you're probably going to die.

Obligatory Twitter link.

Quicktime and Firefox don't seem to get along. I could see the video when I pasted the URL into Chrome, if that helps anyone else.

It kind of looks like your kettlebell is swinging you and thus getting too far behind you.

The best tip I ever got was to try to focus on punching your arm up "through" the kettlebell's arc when you get to about nose-level. As you get it up there, lean into the weight, brace your core and lock out your shoulder and elbow.

I have the opposite problem from you - my get-up lags behind my c&p, swing, or snatch.

Thanks. I haven't tried leaning into the weight. I'll try that. I love your avatar!

How is it going? Need anymore help?

Thanks. I think I have my form correct now. I went back and did it with the 10 lb, just so I could practice the motion and get that down. Then I'll move up to the big time and try 15lb :redface-new: So, it may be awhile until I can do the 35lb :rapture:

Ok good :) 

Don't worry about moving up too much, the 15 lb kettlebell was my friend for a looooong time. And then you get to have some fun with the 25 first :)

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Archived