Forums are back in action! ×

Eggs! and Tadpoles

Vian

A couple weeks ago, I put my male and female azureus dart frogs together in the big tank.

DSCN1629_zps25eb5088.jpg

Yesterday I checked under the cocohut I put in for them and in the petri dish underneath it, I found...

DSCN1660_zpsc792f71f.jpg

Two fertile eggs! I've removed them to a shoebox-sized plastic bin with a damp papertowel under the dish. When they hatch into tadpoles, I'll put them into small cups of water.

I also bought 5 already-hatched tadpoles from a semi-local frog breeder. These are the same as my lone little thumbnail frog, Lucky, so when they morph they will be able to keep Lucky company.

BRTad3_zps4f101ab8.jpg

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

baby froggies!! :D

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

The eggs haven't done anything. Aperantly I will be able to tell within a week if they are good or not. No mold or fungus, so that's a good sign, but neither is there any embryo development, so...we'll see.

However, the tadpoles little legs are definitely getting bigger and i can see their front legs developing inside the little pouches on the fronts of their bodies.

Tadtwo3-3_zpsb1ca6d01.jpg

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

Congrats, Vian, you're a frogmommy.  :)

They don't look real cute now, but I'm sure they'll be adorable when they turn into frogs.  Aren't babies exciting?

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I dunno, I think they're pretty adorable even as tadpoles :D

Managed to get this really nice shot of one tadpole. This one was marked as hatching on 1/31, but it is as far along or farther than the ones marked 1/7, so I'm actually thinking the person I bought them from meant to mark it 12/31 perhaps. This one is maybe a week away from popping it's front legs, then for 2 weeks after that, it will re-absorb it's tail and then climb out of the water.

Tadfive3-5_zpsfb03290e.jpg

SQUEE! My Azureus eggs are starting to develop!!!

DSCN1692_zps5545226c.jpg

I have a rock garden that floods all the time (I live on a crawfish pon in rainy, swampy southern Louisiana), and I love watching the frogs' life cycles in there when it floods.  XD

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

More development on the eggs. They are getting wider at one end and the spinal ridge is really apparent now.

Azureuseggs3-7_zps4513394b.jpg

and the tadpoles. This is #5, same as the one above. You can see the little arms forming on either side of the body inside a pouch/fold of skin. I think this one and possibly a couple others will pop their front legs any day now!

tadfive3-7_zps0d2ae095.jpg

tadfive3-7two_zps988b7120.jpg

and Tad #3, dated 1/9.

tadthree3-7_zpsca2d92f9.jpg

These eggs are growing so fast!

Azureuseggs3-8_zpsebeb6354.jpg

Vian. This is the coolest, coolest thing. 

About how long does the dart frog metamorphosis normally take, from egg to frog? 

I am SO CURIOUS to see when they start turning blue!

Level 2 Half-elf Druid

STR: 3 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 1 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 4.5 | CHA: 3

If you do not change where you are headed, you will end up where you are going.

60-90 days, depending on species. I'm going to put up pictures every 1-2 days as the eggs and tadpoles grow and change.

3/9 AzureusEggs3-9_zpsed18ca85.jpg

I want to touch that tail soooo badly! haha!

I think I really like this because I used to go hiking in the woods in Mexico, and sometimes in the river you could see tadpoles and we would try to catch them (no luck though) and I have always liked tadpoles and froggehs. Keep us posted Vian!!

Niwa no niwa ni wa, niwa no niwatori wa niwaka ni wani wo tabeta.

I just saw the tadpole that is on the bottom in all the pics wiggle around inside it's egg!

No, Azureus are good beginner frogs that are very easy to breed. It's just that usually their first several clutches of eggs are infertile, then after a month or two, the pair will get the hang of things and start producing fertile clutches. So I was pretty excited that my frogs very first clutch was fertile!

that's sad.  they have, like, froggy miscarriages at first?  D:

I think its less that the eggs are fertilized and then something goes wrong and they die, but more that the eggs are not fertilized at all, so it's not a miscarriage, just the sperm doesn't make it all the way or something. If both frogs are young and inexperienced, it's normal that it would take them a few tries to get the hang of things. My female happens to be older and was in a tank with other frogs before i got her, she was being picked on by another female, so she may have already gotten her "practice" clutches out of the way.

3/10

AzureusEggs3-10_zpsee5c89e6.jpg

Archived