Forums are back in action! ×

New recruit

Hello all,

I'm new to NF and thought I'd take a big step by introducing myself on the forum.  I find that accountability is the biggest factor in my success rate, so I'm hoping you guys will be helping me out!

I am 34 years old, 5'2", and weigh 162 pounds.  Ouch.  (For tall people who think 162 would be awesome, on a 5'2" frame, it is the last pound before your doctor declares you obese.)  When I began my New Year's Resolution 2013, I was 167, so I have made some progress.

My story?  I was skinny growing up.  I think I weighed a whopping 107 when I graduated high school.  I wasn't deliberately doing anything, but I skipped meals if nothing I felt like eating was being served and I walked 5 miles a day just to get out of the house.  Once I went off to college the foodie in me had more free range.  Being an over-achiever, I pooh-poohed the Freshman 15 and went all out for the Freshman 30.  My weight yo-yoed around all through college, but didn't really explode until I got married and moved overseas.  I couldn't get a job, didn't speak the language, and didn't have a car, so I had nothing to do but sit around my house and eat.  Then, I got pregnant and did more sitting around and eating.  Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

I took up running about a year and a half ago, since I loved the "superwoman" feeling I got after doing sprints.  Somehow, I thought that would be x1000 for long distance running, so I went for that.  Not so much.  I actually gained a surprising (and frustrating) amount of weight while miserably grinding out 25 miles a week, and had my brief career cut short with a knee injury.

So, I'm looking to shake things up.  I'm not sure exactly what I want to do; I just know that this time I want it to be fun.  I'm slowly going Paleo, having been finally convinced I can't outrun my fork.  I'm reluctantly taking up weight lifting.  Not because I'm afraid of bulking up too much, but because I think it's BOOOOOOORING.  I'm definitely a MONK type.  I don't want to press the villain over my head, I want to kick him through a wall!  I would love to get into the Tang Soo Do (a Korean martial art with the same roots as Tae Kwan Do) school here, but have to postpone until we can afford it.  In the meantime, I'm doing the BOOOOOOOOOOORING weight training to be strong enough for said butt-kicking.  I like to mix it up, so I throw in some Zumba, yoga, at-home kickboxing (ok, it's on the Wii...this is NERD Fitness, right?) and whatever else seems interesting on non-weight days.  Maybe go back to sprinting some and skip the long distance runs (that weren't helping anyway).

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell!

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Thanks, Synyster! 

I have noticed more energy since eating cleaner.  And I find the results of weight training pretty inspiring, just not the ground work.  Plus, I just suck at it.  I can't even do 1 push-up.  Nope, not even on my knees.  (Which is to say, without losing form/falling down)  I do believe I can get there.  I just need help/motivation to keep me going until I can get to the fun stuff!

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

I know what you mean about surpassing your mom.  I ran the USA 15K Championship yesterday as my last huzzah to running before switching things up.  We were separated into waves (designated by color) according to how fast you expect to finish.  I'm kind of a clydesdale, so I was in the third wave, aiming at finishing 9.3 miles in 2 hours (average time is 1 hour 15 minutes).  I felt a little guilty afterwards, but I was feeling pretty good about myself whenever I passed anybody with a green bib from the second wave!  I remember when I thought running 3 miles was next to impossible, and now I just ran 3 times that.  Thanks for reminding me where you can get to if you persist!

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Archived