Forums are back in action! ×

fayetteville arkansas

alienjenn

I am considering a move... please tell me what you know... if anything... about this city and the surroundings...

I like to hike and bike (especially on rail to trails...) I love me some mountain hiking... and camping... we live near the shenandoah national forest in va now and it is free to hike... especially in the back country (my preferred camping areas) is there anything similar??

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

GoogleMaps shows a hand-ful of parks within the city limits. The Ozark National Forest and the Hobbes State Conversation area both look to be within 30-45-minutes driving distance.

This isn't strictly parks-and-rec but this link may help:  http://www.city-data.com/city/Fayetteville-Arkansas.html. CityData has a good deal of statistical information about everything from weather to median income to housing costs to crime rates. I've lived in five states in the last three years and I use it to research wherever it is I'm headed to next.

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

I will look at that site... I was hoping for locals with first hand inside info...

I am considering moving there... and my friend who I will move near isn't really an outdoorsey type person and doesn't know how to answer my questions....

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I think if you enjoy hiking, biking and camping, you'd probably like it here in Fayetteville very much. It's an incredibly beautiful area of the state, likely not much unlike where you're at now.  There are tons of places to do each of those three things close by, and even more options within an hour or so drive in any direction.  Fayetteville is one of four larger cities in the area that make up what's simply referred to as Northwest Arkansas (NWA).  Each of those 4 cities has its own unique feel. I'd definitely suggest spending a few days in the area and checking it out. I think you'll like it.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away.

I am supposed to come out for thanksgiving... :) and I am going to look around... anything in particular you recommend?

Spoiler

I lived in Fayetteville for the last six years (now in Denver, CO), and unless you're 1.) working for Wal-Mart or JB Hunt or Tyson, 2.) going to the U of A on a scholarship, or 3.) really enjoy drinking to excess,  I wouldn't do it.  It's a dying town.

There are a couple of running clubs and three significant cycling teams, but not much else in the way of sports, national level races notwithstanding.  The music scene isn't what it once was, the bars are trying to be trendy club type venues and failing, and crime was climbing when I left in June.

If you're a cyclist (personal experience speaking), get ready to have beer bottles thrown at you from trucks, have cars run you off the road so that you have to bail into a ditch, and gas stations tell you to get out because they "don't serve your kind."  It's not always like that, but you NEED to find a team so that you have a peloton. 

If you're a strength athlete, there is one rugby club with a variety of fitness levels in it, and a couple of Crossfit boxes.  Beyond that the only decent gym I can think of off the top of my head is the HPER, and that's restricted to U of A faculty/staff/family/alums.

If you've got any specific questions, let me know and I'd be happy to talk to you about it further.  But seriously, don't move to Fayetteville unless you have a damned good reason.

Cheers,

Perry

Archived