Forums are back in action! ×

Doctor of Pain and Torture

Hi, I'm the Smerf, but you can call me... Well, Smerf.

Basically, grad school did me in.  Long hours of studying, lack of sleep, lack of exercise and a crappy diet.  I put on over 40 lbs in 2.5 years.  It wasn't -entirely- me, though: turns out I had a pituitary tumor that caused increased growth hormone, leading to body-wide edema (fluid retention).  I had neurosurgery to remove the tumor last August, and peed out 16 lbs of water-weight in a week. 

Gaining back the weight I lost in (probably) fat weight is ENTIRELY me though.  I have no excuse.  I've been intermittently in the gym for the past year and fairly consistently for the past three months.  Still gaining weight, but I think that may by bulking up from weights.

My goal: there's a 5k in July I want to run.  Downside: I suck at running, which is fine because I find it boring as hell.  However, I personally feel that 3.5 miles is a reasonable distance that a guy should be able to run without dying of exhaustion at the end.

I did do a sprint reverse triathlon in my first year of grad school, though.  Hated the run, but passed people on the biking.

Good luck! I hate running too, but I joined a group of cross-country runners and was able to run a 5k (which is 3.1 miles by the way, not 3.5). Having a group to hold you accontable and push you is incredibly helpful--I would recommend it!

Congradulations on overcoming your health issues and making it through grad school!! And welcome to the Rebellion(:

Archived