Forums are back in action! ×

Gym lacking equipment...resort to leaving our Jedi way and join the Smith?

Mannion

I'm sorry ,I couldn't help it on the title. 

My question is basically for advice on deadlifts and squatting and I'm after a bit of advice:

Squats:

My gym doesn't have a squat rack and I don't think it's too safe to lift heavy on the squats without that support- so as a result I'm not pushing myself and I feel like I'm wasting the effort when I'm only putting 35kg on the bar.

So, is it better for me to push myself on the smith, or would dumbbell squats be more appropriate?

Deadlifts:

Similar question for the dead lifts - there's no olympic bar at my gym, so the heaviest I can get a bar to is 50KG. I can deadlift this fairly comfortabley and again dont feel like I'm pushing myself.

Question is similar: Heavy deadlifts on the evil smith, or are dumbbell deadlifts a suitable replacement?

Thanks for any advice!

Milo

Mannion

Lvl 0 Half-Orc Warrior

"When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl, when you can't do that ... "

" ... you find someone to carry you."

-Tracy & Zoe, Firefly

Current challenge:

First job with The Browncoats 

Find another gym.  Seriously.  If you are serious about using barbell movements as a cornerstone of your fitness, you need to do squats, and therefore need either a squat rack or power rack. I had a gym without a rack around the corner but instead drove 20-30 minutes to the closest gym with one and am glad I did.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'd suggest finding a better gym, but in the meantime, stuff like one legged romanian deadlifts and bulgarian split squats will do you plenty of good.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Archived