Forums are back in action! ×

How the Ag Rev ruined everything -Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

Meera Reed

Hello everyone! I'm new here to the forums and am currently in week 2 of my Paleo transition! I hope this topic is in the right place.

I was surprised when I searched for Ismael that no results came up. This is a book that I read a long time ago and it is basically about how the agricultural revolution ruined everything for humans. Quinn talks about how before the ag rev we were "happier" --theoretically of course. As we know, we went and hunted or gathered our food when we were hungry and that was it, the rest of our lives were ours to live. The agricultural revolution spawned civilization as we know it, causing us to work harder than ever, develop and spread diseases, and generally lead a less happy life centered around procuring the resources to obtain food (i.e. money). Its been a while so I know I'm not doing it justice, but it is an EXCELLENT book -- it is really easy to read and written in the form of a novel. 

Has anyone read it? If you haven't you should! 

http://www.amazon.com/Ishmael-Adventure-Spirit-Daniel-Quinn/dp/0553375407

On a side note.. he also has a follow up book called The Story of B that is about the education system which is really good too.

It's not easy being green.

I like most of DQ's stuff, The Story of B is my favorite so far.

I have an on again off again blog (looks like I haven't updated it in a while) about my thoughts re: his work at http://regardingishmael.blogspot.com/

Anduril, level 3 human adventurer

(ranger wannabe)
STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 3.5 | CON 6.5 | WIS 3 | CHA 3.5

Intro thread | Daily Journal
Top weight 211, currently 184, goal weight 150 (5' 8-1/2")

Life has no remote; you have to get up and change it yourself.

I'm sure being a hunter-gatherer sounds rather idyllic... until you actually have to do it. It's very nice for someone to sit in what is likely a comfortable home and poo-poo the very thing that gives them the freedom (and free time) to complain about anything, but you'll forgive me if I do not wish to return to subsistence existence.

Archived