Forums are back in action! ×

Finally jumping in

Hey guys, 

I was introduced to NF when a friend of mine shared Staci's article on Facebook and have been lurking in and out ever since. Steve's posts arrive by email every week and each time they do, I think about the changes I could be making to my life. Yet nothing usually come of it. Maybe eating a bit better for a few days, but before long ending up right back where I started. So I'm breaking the cycle. But enough about how I ended up here and more about me.

I'm 29 years old and live in Ottawa, Ontario. I'm back at school full-time, studying accounting at Algonquin college and will be graduating in the fall. Also started working part-time earlier this month, but money's always helpful, even if I do have less time to play video games now. Still playing when I can though: WoW, StarCraft 2, AC3, a bit of Skyrim and random phone games. Other favorites include Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy (4-10). Books, random stuff on the internet, TV shows, movies and a few crafty things fill the rest of my time.

I've struggled with my weight since my early teens. Those weren't great years for me, so books and food became my escape and I've kept that habit to this day. Since middle school  I've been between 200-300lbs. I've been through just about all of the popular diets that have come along: Low-carb, weight watchers, super low-cal, even done some almost paleo before I even knew it was a thing. Sitting back near the higher end of that range again. I want to change that. I will change that. This time for good, doing it properly. 

What do I want? As much I want to see the numbers on the scale drop, I want to be strong and fit more. Body weight workouts is where I'm going to start, but I have plans for weight training, swimming and rock climbing once my budget becomes more flexible. Diet-wise, I'm halfway to paleo already. Gluten and wheat are already out. Not sure if I'm just intolerant or what, just that I feel awful if I eat it, so I don't. Eating more fruits and veggies in general. To step it up that would be eliminating the harder parts: The dairy (cheese, ice cream...), milk/cream and sugar in my tea or coffee, rice, potatoes and popcorn... 

Regardless of where you are going, the journey starts with a single step. I'm taking mine.

Level 2 Kitsune Adventurer

STR: 6 / DEX:  2 / STA: 4.5 / CON:  7.75 / WIS: 6 / CHA: 2.5

First Challenge + MC#1&4

Current Mini-Challenges Complete: MC#1,#2 +.5 CHA&WIS, +1 CON

Inventory: Fire Flower Power Up

Current Challenge

Sounds like we have a lot in common with where we are, where we want to be.  Even your diet comments, for me dairy is wickedly hard to give up.  And white potatoes and brown rice.  I'm not sure if I'll ever make it to true paleo but I'm not going to give up trying.

From one Newbie to another: welcome!

Welcome to Nerdfitness! It's full of people who want to help you lose weight and be healthier.

And on top of that, every activity you mentioned you like to do we have people here who loved doing it too. I mean really how many fitness websites have a book club?

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

Archived