Forums are back in action! ×

OOC: The Gathering

This is the Out Of Character Thread for the Moderated Thread entitled "The Gathering" and is only intended for those players whom have been privately invited.

This threads purpose is for the players to communicate with me, the DM, outside of the game for any reason. 

Players, if you have questions, ask away!!  I will answer very promptly.  If I feel the answer is something private, I will send you a private message indicating that only your character would know the answer.

BELOW IS PERTINENT INFORMATION FOR ALL THE PLAYERS IN THIS GAME.  USE THIS AS A REFERENCE.  ANY QUESTIONS, CONTACT ME.  FEEL FREE TO QUESTION AND CHALLENGE ANYTHING YOU FEEL ISN'T RIGHT/FAIR, BUT REMEMBER: THE DM'S RULING IS FINAL. 

RATHRUNE AS A DM:

I want to give you guys some advanced notice on how I DM and what you can expect from me, as well as what I expect from you.

I perform nearly 100% of the rolls behind the scenes to make the story more of a narrative and as smooth flowing as possible. That being said, I roll ALOT and I always let the dice decide. I truly believe in random events and that anything is possible. I once had a level 3 bard roll 5 natural 20's in a row to charm an elder blue dragon. Should it have happened? No. But it did, and boy did it screw with my campaign. But hey, that's life.

All dice rolls by me will be performed either with real dice or by a certified online dice server. For particularly special situations, I MAY choose to send a copy of the rolls to the players, but keep in mind this will rarely happen, if ever. I do constant checks against stats, especially charisma. Most people think wisdom and charisma are worthless stats, but I will tell you they have a huge impact in my world, whether you see the dice rolls or not.

I do not use the standard wizard memorization. Using a spell once a day, then having to read it again, is dumb. You're a wizard, not a librarian. I use a mana system. The wizard starts each day being not well rested, rested, or well rested. This determines his mana for the day, and is determined by a DM dice roll. His mana is equivalent to his intellect + the modifier. Not well rested is 1d6, rested is 2d6, and well rested is 3d6. As the wizard levels up, he will gain 1d4 each level to his base mana. Spells mana cost varies and I will go over those details privately with each person it affects. Using this system, Eric the Wizard wakes up one morning having not slept very well. His base intellect is 16, so he gets 16+ 1d6.

Clerics do not have mana. They are granted these powers through deities, so as long as you are in the good graces of your god or goddess, you have access to your abilities. Gods and goddesses are fickle creatures, do not expect to do nothing for them and keep your powers. Only those most loyal, devoted, and holy of clerics are granted top level abilities.

Fighters and rogues are pretty much by the handbook. I allow called shots at a -8 to hit modifier and -16 to hit if you're going for the head. Head shots that are successful are usually instant kills, depending on the creature and type of attack, and always require a successful dexterity check as well.

Play smart. If you're dumb, I will kill you. When 40 soldiers surround you, and you decide to go kamikaze in a "heroic effort" it means you're going to be chopped into little pieces. I am firm, but fair. I reward good writing, detailed posts, and smart play. I am VERY generous but can also be very brutal, expect the unexpected with me.

NEVER, EVER CONFUSE PLAYER KNOWLEDGE WITH CHARACTER KNOWLEDGE

Just because YOU know trigonometry, does not mean your character knows it. Separate the two. If you don't, you'll quickly find yourself on the receiving end of a random meteor strike. If you're not sure, just ask me! I will respond very quickly to all player inquiries.

CHARACTER CREATION: Roll 4d6 and drop the lowest roll. Repeat 6 times and assign as wanted for each stat. You will use this dice server for all rolls. http://www.cyrnus.co...-bin/rollem.cgi

All players start with max HP for their class, and gain an additional 1d(x) where x=your normal hit die.

In this example, a warrior would have 10 + 1d10 for starting HP..

Upon reaching 0 HP characters pass out from pain and are completely unable to act. If they reach 0 HP exactly they will simply pass out and remain there until healed or rested for at least 8 hours in a comfortable place. If they go BELOW 0 HP, they will pass out and be in the "throes of death" so to speak. They will be unconscious and in the process of dying, losing 1 HP per round until healed back up to 0 or higher HP.

At -10 HP the character dies.

Note: it is very difficult to resurrect characters in my world, often requiring severely good "connections" or copious amounts of money and resources.

TYTHARIA

Tytharia is a secluded area of land surrounded by the great Proximus Mountains to the west and ocean to the east.  The south supposedly extends out further but no one is sure what is down there.  The southern plains are so densely populated by warring and vicious warrior tribes that not a single person has returned from their questings down there.  The northern area has been mostly unexplored due to it being a complete barren wasteland devoid of nearly all life, and is simply called “The Bad Place.†  No one is quite sure why there is such a sudden change in the landscape but most wizards and scholars agree it is magical in nature. 

Speaking of magic, it is prevalent in Tytharia but to a limited degree.  Most wizards and magic practitioners can only manage to devote themselves to a single school to access the most powerful of spells, thereby leaving them weak in other schools.  The school of Necromancy has been strictly forbidden by King Orkon and is illegal in the entire realm.  No matter how powerful, wizards are limited in the amount of spells they can cast before they must rest.  Since the dawn of time, there are mages who have sought to break this limitation.  The highest order of wizards, The Seven as they are called, are rumored to have created small orbs of pure magic which allow the bearer to forever cast a certain school of magic with no limitations.  These have never been seen and no one has substantiated the claim, but if they DO exist, those who wield them would possess immense power.

The one limit in magic that no wizard has solved is the scrying and teleportation arts.  It seemingly can not be done.  No wizard can magically scry to view another location, nor can any magic user willingly teleport anyone or anything across any distance that he can not physically see and judge accurately in front of him. Therefore, all messages and news must be relayed by person or carrier pigeon.  Trained falcons have also been employed by the king as they are considered more reliable, sturdy, and faster than pigeons.  This has made scouts incredibly valuable to armies and any group wanting information, and traveling bards are usually an incredible fountain of knowledge for the locale they visit.  This has also made the transportation of armies and armed forces quite slow from one area to another.  

Transportation relies usually on two highways, the Rofel Highway to the north which intersects with the city of Rofel, and the Drunken Highway to the south, aptly named for its crossing with Hammerfist Hold, and known to host a variety of drunks along its lengthy path.  Right before Tythis, the highways connect in what is strangely called “Lovers Crossingâ€â€¦this intersection town is constantly bombarded by attacks from the local warrior tribes, and King Orkon has been attempting to construct a more fortified hold on this location to protect merchants and travelers.  Thus far, he’s been unable to make progress because of the attacks.  Besides the warrior tribes, which host a variety of races, the denizens of Tytharia all generally get along.  The usual prejudices are evident…dwarves tend to be a bit more sour to elves, the elven nobility looks down on humans…but for all intents and purposes, most could be considered loose allies.

Most races recognize the rule and military might of King Orkon and the humans, though they do not necessarily refer to him as THEIR king.  Each race has what they consider a high ruler, though the other races keep that information hidden from public knowledge so they do not become targets.

The realm to the far north of Tytharia is known to be rich with oil and is only a few weeks travel by boat.  The demand for oil is not nearly as high as the ample supply, and the lands are considered uninhabitable and are largely ignored.  Another realm (read:continent) to the east exists but nearly nothing is known about it, as it is easily a four month journey by boat and nearly no one can afford such a journey.  Those who do are never heard from again, said to be the victim of pirates or sea monsters.  The occasional foreigner can be viewed at Orkonis Port, and they almost never venture too far inland.  Most are distant and view Tytharians with disdain.

The sprawling majestic city of Tythis  is the capital of this realm, spanning for many miles and the back of the city rests up against Mount Proxum.  It is against this mountain where Tythis Keep sits; an enormous castle that houses the army as well as King Orkon himself.  The king is known as a firm ruler, who controls his territory with militaristic precision and effectiveness.  However, most of his subjects view him as a good king; he's never known to be cruel or crude, speaks nobly, and has brought much honor to their kingdom.  He continues to fight the warrior tribes that have risen against him, and has kept them at bay enough that they mostly target each other.  The soldiers of Tythis Keep patrol the streets regularly, though the outskirts of the city are rarely visited and consist of mostly slums.  Tythis is the perfect defensive military fortress, and is known far and wide as being nearly impenetrable.

The other major areas of interest in the realm are:

Rofel:  Home of an elite mercenary guild known for its poisons as much as its battle prowess.  They refer to themselves as EKOR, Elite Knights of Rofel, though its never been confirmed if any members are actually knights.  The king has barely acknowledged their existence for political reasons, though the public know they exist.  They host the Annual Rofel Faire which brings people from all over the realm for festivities and fun.  While those outside Rofel view them as a positive and charitable group, the residents of Rofel know to watch their backs and never fully trust someone brandishing the seal of EKoR.  It is said that the guild can acquire nearly anything, for the right price of course.  This city is almost entirely made of wood and straw, and is one of the few where three story homes are fairly common.  Fire is a very large threat in this city and they have employed various wizards (at significant cost) who have specialized in water manipulation to keep the city safe from an uncontrollable fire disaster.  

Orkonis Port: Named after the king, this is the major port city into and out of the kingdom.  It was founded and setup by King Orkon while he was securing the territories.  Realizing the importance of such a city, the King personally stayed and oversaw the building and securing of the port.  He keeps some of his highest and most well respected generals here, along with elite soldier squads to keep the peace.  All manner of folk travel through here, and it is the major location in the kingdom for food and livestock trade for the kingdom.  The king heavily regulates and taxes merchants who set up shop to sell anything but food/livestock here, so you do not find many stores. However, there are plenty of street peddlers who will set up a quick "cash and carry" table to sell their wares....that is, until a soldier patrol sees them and shuts them down.  The kings finest warships reside at this port, enormous galleons of truly majestic proportions, fully outfitted with the latest in cannon technology.  

Hammerfist Hold: The major dwarven settlement in Tytharia besodes the Proximus Mountains.  While the outside walls and front entrance make it look like a mighty fortress, inside there is little in the way of defenses.  Truly, the heart and soul of this small city is the brewery.  While it is one enormous building, it is actually occupied by dozens of brewers making hundreds of different kinds of ales, beers, and various other brews.  This city is known as being the happiest in the realm, most likely due to the fact that everyone is constantly intoxicated.  While dwarves rule this area, King Orkon of the humans also has his hand in the production of several different kinds of ale and visits the city personally twice a year.  While the dwarves of the Proximus Mountains are not all that friendly with humans, the residents of Hammerfist Hold welcome them with open arms.  Gnomes take residence on the outskirts of the city itself, where tons and tons of farmland is devoted to barley, wheat, and other grains used in the production of alcohol.  While gnomes aren't known to be the hard-working type, the machines they make are truly wondrous and do nearly all of the work in the fields.

Llandwellyn City:  Built around the heartland of the Llandwellyn Forest and the mighty oak trees, this city is home to the high elves of Tytharia. Enormous, ancient, mighty oaks create a canvas and protection for the aloof race.  The city itself is simplistic enough, the elves preferring to let nature take its course. You won't find much stone or steel here, though rumors abound that the ancient metal mythril could be sourced deep beneath the earth.  There isn't much of a market here, and it doesn't draw many visitors, certainly not those looking to make money.  Not too much is known regarding the elven nobility, they are rarely seen by outsiders.  The elves are rumored to hoard great and vast treasures of riches and magical artifacts that they guard with their lives.  Legend has it the great oak Erta'wen, which stands over 400 feet tall and nearly 75 feet in diameter, is the hiding point for their treasures.  This oak is said to be one of, if not the, most powerful magic founts in the known world.  It is said to be the source of power for the druidic orders of the kingdom.  Naturally, it draws some attention but the Druids of Llandwellyn do well to discourage even the most powerful of adventurers from seeking it.  The dense fog that surrounds the forest is said to be so thick you could cut it with an axe, and more than a few times bands of adventurers have entered the mists, never to return.

Proximus Mountains: These are the mountains directly behind Tythis Keep, and are incredibly difficult to navigate.  Climbing the rocks is nearly impossible, as they are so sharp and jagged, jutting up from the earth like enormous dragons teeth.  The dwarven race is known to make their home here, living deep inside these sharp rocky formations.  Very little is actually known about the dwarves or their locations here, nor is anyone aware of a capital city's location....though the dwarves of Hammerfist Hold have referred to a "Grongolmere" in their drunken ramblings.  There are all sorts of caves and intertwining pathways throughout these mountains, and the native dwarves are expert navigators through these caves.  For the average person, it is nearly guaranteed death, with all manner of wildlife and even purported monsters inhabiting the caves.  What IS known is the caves house jewels and gold, and the dwarves supply much of the kingdoms currency.  As such, precious gems have much less inherent value to a dwarf from the Proximus Mountains than from elsewhere.  King Orkon has a treaty of passage with the Proximus Dwarves, allowing them travel and transport of goods to and from Hammerfist Hold, in exchange for a portion of gold and jewels mined from their homeland.  The dwarves would easily trade gold and jewels for the mighty ales of the south!

While peculiar, no one has been able to find a gnome city, and when asked about it, most gnomes just stare at you like you have six heads.  There are countless other towns and villages throughout the realm, all with their own small farms or market places, especially along the two major highways.  The hills between the two major highways have no name, but are avoided for fear of the ogres that are said to inhabit them.

All manner of creatures inhabit Tytharia, but the most feared are the dragons.  There are two types of dragons: speaking dragons and non-speaking dragons.  The Speakers, as most common folk call them, are intellectual and can speak every known language, have magical powers, and devastating magical breath attacks.  They often keep to themselves and are extraordinarily rare to find, most preferring to seclude themselves away from society.  They are known to hoard vast amounts of treasure.

The Non-Speakers are bestial animals and do not show any patience, intelligence, nor tolerance.  They tend to attack anything they come across, and then eat it.  While they do not have the intellect to actually SEEK combat with anything in particular, they tend to wander the realm, leaving destruction in their wake.  

While they vary in color, shape, and size, all dragons are deadly foes and woe be the adventurer who comes across one.  While Non-Speakers are more common than their Speaker brethren, all dragons are notoriously rare creatures, and most are rumored to inhabit places such as Proximus Mountains and even The Bad Places, where very few humans have a presence.

In good gaming,

Rathrune

post-14738-0-68147300-1364521799_thumb.p

You are given writers license with various towns/villages.  There are countless numbers and it would be impossible for me to officially "document" all of them. Feel free to use free license in names and various histories.  Just take into mind that your village has most likely not altered the history of anything, and keep it within reason.

Otherwise, just have fun with it!

In good gaming,

Rathrune

What colors underpants are you wearing? Is that something only my character would know?

Also, gonna link over to the other thread so people know this is here. I just found it.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

He's Awesome!

My profile pick is Yllaora. She's a fighter. Although I have a publisher doc with the outfit and look I really wanted her to have. I may still attempt a drawing.

Can't wait!

:smiley_simmons:

P.S. The website looks cool - maybe I'll do it on that instead.

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Here's Fig Newton:

gallery_3636_34_22207.jpg

I edited a little.  He was human, so I shopped pointy ears in and the dagger at his belt was a gun, which I changed as well. You can't see it as much in this cropped version, I have a fuller version of him on a boat.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Yeah, will have to try to remember hero machine over the weekend.

500 / 330 / 625

First DM post is up.  Feel free to begin roleplaying.  See it here: http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/26622-mt-the-gathering/

I'm aware the text is a bit choppy looking.  This site is...safe to say...a bit restricting when it comes to uploading photos and making cool looking posts like we used to back in the day. 

I'll keep working on possible solutions to make them look good. You guys dont need to do the same; quality of writing trumps everything!

In good gaming,

- Rathrune

I'm personally going to make a second account for my character with his portrait as the avatar.  this will also allow me to keep current vital stats like hit points and mana in the signature.

500 / 330 / 625

Nevermind, figured out an easy way to do the tables like Rath did and will just do that, no need to make new account so I have my avatar.

500 / 330 / 625

Nevermind, figured out an easy way to do the tables like Rath did and will just do that, no need to make new account so I have my avatar.

Wait, tables like the BBCode tables?  I tried that on another post and it didn't work - Spezzy told me tables aren't enabled....

THIS IS A TEST...

[table]

A1B1

A2B2[/table]

Well that didn't work - what's your secret?

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

I do it in word and either print screen and paste into paint or print as an adobe file then in adobe print as a jpeg. I plan on then uploading each picture of the posts to a picture host or to here and linking to it. Takes an extra few minutes but you can make posts look AWESOME.

500 / 330 / 625

The ultimate D&D resource:

Literally all 26 books of the 2nd Edition in PDF format. 

Everything you could ever want to know is here: http://www.cj-resources.com/Storage%201/AD&D%20-2E%20-Complete%20Set%20of%2026%20Books.PDF

- Rathrune

Whoa, clicked that at work, good thing I was quick with the scroll wheel for that naked lady on the front cover!

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

Thankful I didn't click, will wait til home.  I'm assuming you're talking about the cover of one of the books, they tend to have flesh baring images. I really don't think the armor they put on these women would work very well...

500 / 330 / 625

Can you edit your initial post and put links to the specific posts where you have game resources like the map and description of the land? Don't think we'll all be going to the recruitment post much and it would be a great quick reference.

500 / 330 / 625

Also, do we know where we are and where Stag Point is with reference to Tythis? Like could we have stumbled there or hitched a drunken cart ride there during our drunken adventures?

500 / 330 / 625

Thankful I didn't click, will wait til home.  I'm assuming you're talking about the cover of one of the books, they tend to have flesh baring images. I really don't think the armor they put on these women would work very well...

Haha, yeah - only hide cloak and loin cloth with a big ol' sword.  I would call that pretty ineffective.  Unless the goal is to distract the opponent before slicing off their head.  May be more effective than we think....

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger