Forums are back in action! ×

OOC: The Gathering

Teri, that is fine. Under normal circumstances I should have caught that, but variables do exist.

Everyone is doing an excellent job. I wanted to give Ulfden a chance to respond to all the questions/poking around everyone has been doing.

Those who seek water can find it easily behind he bar, as Grubar did for the ale.

Next DM post will be up tomorrow. Feel free to continue to chat and do other things.

- Rathrune

Crap, sorry for the double post - I could have sworn I hit edit and not reply.  If the blank can be deleted and I have to do it can someone let me know how?

I'll take care of it.

No problem j.  Good luck with your studies.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Thanks,

Are you writing a reply to Teri this morning?  I just started but don't want to hog the thread or steal posts from anyone else.

Just posted.

So you guys know when to expect posts from me and when not to, during the week I'll probably do a post between 9 and 12 est and if called for a second between 12 and 5 est, probably closer to 5. Can't manage much more than that unless it's super slow (like right now). I won't post from home during the week and on weekends it's completely up in the air whether I post at all depending on what's going on. It's always nice to have a feel for when others post just for flow purposes and getting a feel for when to check for new posts and when good times are to post yourself.

But yeah, you've the right idea of etiquete.  If you notice you're doing a big run on posts, you wanna slow down unless it's a conversation directly between just you and the others on the run.  You don't want to leave other behind.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Postings Times

Weekdays will likely look like this:: posting around 7 to 8 am (EST), again around 5 pm, and late around 10 to 11 pm. I can get extra excited so I will keep an eye on my number of posts. If I'm over doing please don't hesitate to ask me to chill and wait.

Weekends will likely be more sporadic. Maybe once in the morning and once in the late afternoon or evening.

No, this is not chiseled in stone. But I did consider it. 

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

My posting times are probably similar to Teri's but in Pacific.  Right now work is slow, so I may be able to post once or twice during the day as well, but that will change coming up with my trip to the field (postponed until Sunday).

I'm also pretty excited about this right now so if I'm posting too much please let me know.  I'd like for everyone to enjoy.  Also also - I may post something in here saying something like, "I'm going to wait for _____ to reply before I post"  This is just me saying I'm not going to post until someone else chimes in or that I want to see what whoever it is has to say or reacts, not me saying "Hey _____ its time for you to post and you are messing up my day by not posting" or any such thing.  Everyone has their own schedules etc.

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

Also wanna say that I'm really enjoying it right now guys. This is flowing great, everyone has the feel for what it's all about and how it goes, and the writing has been good so far. I was worried before hand it would take awhile to gear up wihtout all the examples of previous games I had when I started, but you guys got everything down pat.

500 / 330 / 625

DM post is up.  Obviously with my mental retardation (I have poor humor) I still haven't quite figured out how I'm going to handle longer posts because it seemingly requires multiple pictures, which are then edited in Photobucket, then matched up in the reply post through trial and error of spaces etc.  

I'll get it right, I just didn't have a crap ton of time to narrow down exactly how I wanted it.  Hopefully it will suffice for now.

- Rathrune

Just wanted to pitch in on the times I can post as well. I will usually be able to do it in the morning and afternoons of when I work which is Sunday, monday, Thursday and Friday. Any other day, I should be able to post throughout the daym, me being home permitting since I only do this on my laptop

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

-- Charles Bukowski

So you guys with armor know for the future (Rath might let it slip on this one or not care at all, thought you'd be interested though), putting on armor is a process, it takes more than a few seconds.  I think it's anywhere from 5 minutes for simple leather to 30 min for full plate. It's covered somewhere in one of the books, either the players handbook, the complete combat guide, or maybe even the fighter's handbook.

500 / 330 / 625

Oh, notanartmajor, I don't think Ulfden's THAC0 (To Hit Armor Class 0) is 3, do you mean AC?

500 / 330 / 625

I'm letting the armor process slide for this time and was actually about to message you about this when I saw Corey's response on this thread. 

Most "first mistakes" I'm pretty generous on as we're all getting back into this and it will take some time.  Frankly, I think it's impossible to remember ALL the rules governing this game.  But after I correct it 1 time, future "mistakes" will require penalties in-game. 

We'll assume you put it on before you came downstairs.  In the future though, just realize it's a process and if your character was wanting to prepared for anything, he'd put it on after doing his morning activities (in this case, sobering up!)

Next DM post is up a bit early. 

- Rathrune

Just an FYI for the players: 

To give you a peek into the DM process, even though the most recent post of mine (put up today) seems simple enough, it required 14 different dice rolls to determine how that post played out.  If a couple rolls were different, even by a little bit, the entire post would have changed and the circumstances completely different. 

Some DM's choose to "play God" and dictate certain events simply because "they want them to go that way" and CoreyD can tell you, I'm NOT one of those DM's.  I will fully let the dice screw over my campaign, for better or worse, in the name of fair play. 

For example: I once had a level 3 bard convince a Great Blue Dragon to fly them halfway across the world, thus destroying probably close to 3 months worth of gaming sessions material I had already planned.  First off, the chance for them to even encounter a blue dragon was 2%...which was indeed rolled.  She then had to roll 4 natural 20's in a row to convince the dragon with her flute playing...and did it.  I never say "no, that can't happen" but it sure does bite me in the ass sometimes.  It was absolutely hilarious for the players (ask Corey, they were hysterical because they knew it just destroyed everything I had planned).

You're all doing a great job and I can't wait to see what you guys do next!

In good gaming,

- Rathrune

Rathrune,

A little clarification, please.

When you mentioned that the soldiers going to check the homes were going across the street, I took that to mean further away from the tavern and not in line (much) of the back of the tavern. I'm not clear how much my character would have known about where the other soldiers were sent. If you write it, it's public knowledge? And if so, should I be asking clarifying questions when that sort of thing comes up or assume my character won't know the details?

This is awesome by the way. I was so excited to get the email today!

Thanks,

Teri

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Hi Teri,

The soldiers positioning was shown on the attached map of the last post. As you can see, they would indeed have a line of sight to the characters running straight for the 12 o clock house, as Corey indicated in his post.

I normally don't explain specifics (mostly because they can be boring, tedious, and complicated) but in this case I rolled initiative for the soldiers and they beat you guys out (even with a penalty for some surprise) and they passed a few checks, although barely so, to witness Grubar going into the entrance of the establishment. With his base movement speed half that of the rest of the group, he would take double the time everyone else did (unless he passed several strength checks for enhanced sprinting, which he did not, having only passed the initial check).

Character knowledge is easier to determine if you truly try to put yourself in the situation. This also has the side benefit of enhanced role playing. When in doubt, message me and I will provide an answer.

- Rathrune

So should I be saying, 'have a great time!' or 'hope it goes quickly!' ??

Either way, be well.

Teri

:smiley_simmons:

Thanks,

I actually love being in the field, and I've never been up here before so its pretty neat.  I'm hearing now that it should 7-10 days, but these things change daily, so really I'm up here until they tell me that its time to go home.  Which is fine with me, I can use the overtime.

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

With having read everything so far, the only thing I can't figure out is how to make the posts everyone is making, in that it's basically a picture with text over it. If anyone could help me out with that, it'd be much appreciated :)

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

-- Charles Bukowski