Forums are back in action! ×

OOC: The Gathering

Hi Jon,

If you are unable to post, just send me general intentions and I will take care of it in the DM post. I promise he won't be a window-licker with an Intellect of 2 when you return.

- Rathrune

I appreciate it.  I think I've got things figured out and should be able to post at night - unless I get weathered in on the drill rig.

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

You may not be looking forward to the outcome if the dice continue their trend!  Lots of extremes one way or the other, haven't broken much middle ground yet. 

Also, forgive the typo on the Orkonis Port...by the time I realized it, I had already done all the file conversions and just didn't feel like fixing it.

- Rathrune

Rath,

I've done a bit of reading in some of the material and remember something about using a person's shield if they are next to you.  Now, neither Venethe nor Grubar have shields, but are there any bonuses to attacking the same target?  I haven't read that deep into the material.

Either way - I'm really enjoying the battle so far.  Hopefully once we cut this big bastard down, his minions will lose some heart...

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

There are no bonuses for multiple people attacking a single enemy.  Based on the size, things can actually go wrong.  If someone were to roll a 1 on their attack roll, it is entirely possible they could hit their friend instead!  But if both DO hit the same target, it can be a devastating blow to the enemy.

- Rathrune

You mean second, Teri??  :)

CoreyD: I took a bit of liberty with your character because I couldn't get a response from you fast enough; based on what I've seen you roleplay thus far I think it is a fair action and similar to something your character might come up with.  In the future I will attempt to contact you more quickly about possible "conversational" points that may influence a charmed character. 

Great job so far everyone and the dice will hopefully be in your favor! 

- Rathrune

I have a question for you guys:

Do you want me to start putting dice results in the DM post?  I've thought about it some and I figured, instead of me being pig-headed about it, let me just ask what you guys want and I'll do whatever you guys choose.  Some people prefer it because they like seeing the dice results; others don't like it at all because it interrupts the flow of the story to have ((Saving Throw 18, failed)) and various other things thrown right in the middle of the post. 

What some players enjoy is to keep the dice out of the post, but they will ask me specifics like "Hey, did ___________ happen because of a failed _____ check?" or something like that...and I'm always willing to answer those questions. 

Let me know what you guys think; and an excellent job.  The dice were kind to some and not so kind for others.

- Rathrune

I think I figured out what's going on. Using my work PC, I'm assuming certain files types can't be viewed in my browser so that's the reason I can't see your MT post Rath or yours Major. And oh noes to Grubar :S

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

-- Charles Bukowski

I like the numbers in the post.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

New post is up.  I put the rolls in the post this time. Keep in mind, this is post-battle....during the battle, there would be about 10x more dice rolls.  There are attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, different stat checks, etc. 

Corey, I did not post the wild magic rolls in the post but I did email them to you as I've been doing.  First check was for last round, second for this round. 

In addition, we haven't narrowed down how we are working spell cost when you have no mana.  Considering you have a spell used only when you have no mana, if you try to cast a spell and the mana cost ends up being higher than your current amount, it is going to sap your remaining mana but the spell fizzles and that rounds action is lost. 

Example:  You cast Charm Person, which has a mana cost of 1d3+1.  You currently have 2 mana.  If the cost ends up being 3 or higher, all of your remaining mana is gone and the spell fizzles out. 

Reasoning: You are still putting magical energies into attempting to cast the spell, and due to the wild nature of your magic school (pun intended), you never know how much magical energy it will take from you until you're finished casting it.  Thus, if the cost is greater than your remaining magical energy, you are exhausted of mana and the spell you were casting fizzles out, as you didn't have the energy to complete it. 

At this point, upon 0 mana, you can begin to use your Nahal's Reckless Dweomer spell. 

Hope that helps!  You guys did really well for your first battle; I'm very impressed with everyone and I will be handing out XP gains once we wrap things up here.  I will make all XP gains public in this thread for everyone to see and explain the different XP gains, and explain how you could have possibly gained MORE XP based on different things.  I will only do this once so you get a better idea for it as we move forward.  That being said, XP gain should NOT dictate what your character does...your characters personality does.  One of the things I loved about having Corey as a player in our tabletop games is he would stick to the character even if it meant he was drunk and couldn't fight worth a shit, thereby lowering his XP gained.  It was absolutely hilarious and a ton of fun to roleplay but his character didn't gain as much XP from fighting (although he gained some bonus for being funny, but I never told him that at the time!)

I'm having a lot of fun and hope you guys are too.  Please provide feedback on your likes, dislikes, and other things you'd like to see...but wait until we wrap up this encounter formally first. 

Thanks again everyone.

In good gaming,

- Rathrune

Hey guys!  I was stuck in a blizzard in Tuktoyaktuk when Grubar took those two daggers from that coward!  

So I just had a look through the first thread, Grubar isn't a goner until he gets to -10 right?  We just need to heal him up somehow and he'll be back up swinging his axe and swilling ale?

Awesome job so far by the way!

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

Jon, 

You are correct.  Grubar will not officially "die" until he reaches -10 HP.  Until then, he is in the throes of death and loses 1 HP per round until he is healed back to 0 or reaches -10 HP. 

Keep in mind that it is excessively difficult to resurrect characters in my world.

- Rathrune

Jon, 

You are correct.  Grubar will not officially "die" until he reaches -10 HP.  Until then, he is in the throes of death and loses 1 HP per round until he is healed back to 0 or reaches -10 HP. 

Keep in mind that it is excessively difficult to resurrect characters in my world.

- Rathrune

C'mon team!

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger