Forums are back in action! ×

OOC: The Gathering

Guys,

A whole avalanche of shit has happened including:

• My computer in the shop for almost two weeks
  • A drain broke in my basement which I had to fix
  • Work overload

I'm hoping to have a post tonight or tomorrow for Grubar.  Sorry its taken me so long!

Edit: The more the merrier I say, but its not totally up to me!

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

Glad to hear you made it through Jon cause we definitely have more giants to slay haha. I'm also down for the more the merrier idea as well, specially since I don't really know what it truly is a bard does besides sing...which could be wrong :S

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

-- Charles Bukowski

Hey Jon, sorry things have piled up on you. Hope you get through it as smoothly as possible.

Hey Jane of all trades, welcome back. I hope you can join up again, sooner rather than later. We'll see.

Game Item: @Rathrune.

Without knowing much about horses and small folk, I believe Yllaora would still look for either gentle - looking (haha) and/or smallish horses.

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Hey everyone,

First, I wanted to thank you guys for keeping things moving along. 

I recently was laid off after my location closed down.  I've been feverishly working on getting employed and am going for Round 2 of my interviews at a very promising company next week.  This has taken nearly all of my time and energy (in addition to gigging and running 2 bands).  Thus, my lack of posts (and it was a break in combat so you guys can chat more).

Expect a DM post and XP awards tomorrow.

Jess: I would love to have you involved; my only concern is when school starts up again you won't have any time.  Email me your thoughts on that and we'll discuss.

In good gaming,

- Rathrune

Thanks for the kind words guys. 

Here it is:  XP Awards! 

This is the only time I'm going to really break down and talk about each reward, and how you could have earned more.  In the future I'll just provide an overall XP gain with personal breakdown if requested.  Unless you guys like this format, if so, please tell me.  You're the players so you dictate how you want it and I will oblige.

FIG: 555 XP EARNED

Encounter bonus: 200 xp

Roleplaying bonus: 150 xp

Charm Person spell x2: 100 xp

Obtaining invaluable information for party:  100 xp

The picture of a scrawny little elf chucking daggers way over the heads of battle-hardened warriors as he sighs in frustration: 5 xp

Overall a solid experience for a first encounter.  You're pretty experienced so you know what to do; I know you're busy and some of the posts weren't formatted and such, so that is why you didn't earn the full possible 200 xp roleplaying bonus.  The Charm Person spells were used in the proper way to warrant experience points; remember that not all spell uses and spell casts will result in an XP gain if they don't make sense.  In this case, they were correctly used and it warranted good information for the party, providing an extra XP bonus to you on top of the XP for using the spell correctly.  Obviously you would have earned a little more if one of your Charm Spells wasn't resisted. The information you gained was invaluable and you gained a very nice bonus of 100 XP for that.   Nice work!

YLLOARA: 660 XP EARNED

Encounter bonus:  200 xp

Roleplaying bonus: 200 xp

Victory over 18 1HD baddies: 180 xp

3 Killing Blows: 75 xp

Counting an ass-slice as gratitude towards a deity: 5 xp

I felt your posts were fantastic in every way.  The detail you go into about her thought process, how she is feeling, as well as her actions really give a distinct visual image and you are fleshing out her personality well.  Very impressed.  You received the full roleplaying bonus as a result of that excellent work.  You also received the 200 xp encounter bonus that everyone received.  As a warrior, you also gain XP for victory over your enemies, hence the 180 xp reward.  While victory may mean death... surrender or retreating enemies are also a form of victory.  I awarded the killing blows xp which I provide for warriors most of the time, as you fighter types are more likely to want to keep track.  And as a small humor, counting that ass-slice as a proper gratitude towards Ptah was excellent and gave me a chuckle, so a small gain for that.  Overall, excellent work. 

GRUBAR: 625 XP EARNED

Roleplaying bonus: 175 xp

Victory over 18 1HD creatures: 180 xp

Clever idea enraging Brokk: 50 xp

Drinking ale when it is clear you drank more last night than is legal in most countries: 5 xp

Calling ale medicine:  5 xp

Insulting Fig on a consistent basis: 10 xp

I think you've done a great job working up a very picturesque dwarven fighter.  You're definitely portraying the race well and I like his little personality of being tough but not too much of a hard-ass to make friends.  The chuckles I get from your post are good, I appreciate that.  I felt that some of your posts could have had a bit more detail, perhaps a little more about what the dwarf was thinking or a little more detail in his actions.  But overall a great job, the 175 xp roleplaying bonus is close to the maximum available.  Although I might have helped you a bit with the idea, you still did enrage Brokk which may have saved your skin, the penalty to hit that you gave Brokk caused him to miss...another shot from his sword and you might have been rolling another character. You get the standard warrior bonus for victory over creatures that Ylloara got, which is nice. Keep developing his personality, I'm really enjoying him!  Great work!

Ulfden: 565 XP EARNED

Roleplaying bonus: 150 xp

Saving Grubars Life: 100 xp

Smashing a guys face in with a warhammer blow that was heard in Germany, even though Germany doesn't exist in this realm: 25 xp

Victory over 18 1HD creatures: 90 xp

We talked before about the diety thing; it's a tough road to walk.  I'm torn between giving you XP for participating in battle and emerging victorious over enemies similar to warriors, considering you are a battle cleric and glory, victory etc. are all hallmarks of Kord.  My decision is to award you half the XP that warriors would normally obtain from the same situation.  You still earn XP for using your spells and granted powers, but in the same way as wizards, they must have proper use.  You creating water to drink because you want to wake Grubar up with a cold shower, while it may require an XP bonus due to humor, would not constitute an XP bonus for use of a spell.  Conversely, if the entire group was knocked unconscious in a desert and you are tending to their wounds and keeping them alive by creating water to slowly give to them....that would probably warrant an XP bonus.  I gave you pretty good hints on what to do in the future regarding your god, just remember that without his favor, you're not much of anything.  It is tough on clerics/priests in the gaming world, but ultimately quite rewarding and infinitely valuable to the group.  If you can include a picture in your posts of Ulfden I think that would also help things a bit, it is better that people can get the visual.  Overall great work and really looking forward to how you develop him. 

Venethe: 580 XP EARNED

Roleplaying bonus: 100 xp

Victory over 18 1HD creatures: 180 xp

Killing blow on Brokk: 50 xp

Coming to Grubars aid in fighting Brokk: 50 xp

Your first foray was a good one!  It was smart to come to Grubar's aid because he might have been a goner without your help; you get the standard encounter bonus and warrior "victory" XP bonus for defeating enemies.  You received 100 xp for roleplaying, partly because you came in later than the others so you didn't roleplay as much...and partly because I'd like to see more detail in your posts.  Take us to the inner workings of Venethe's mind, his thought process, a little more detail in his actions.  Try to make it lifelike.  If it helps, what I typically do is make a post....then I DONT post it....I actually walk away and come back a few hours later and re-read the post and see how I like it.  Gives fresh perspective.  Good work so far and good thing you were there to save the day! 

GREAT JOB EVERYONE!!!

I'll be working on a lengthy DM post so please allow me time for that today and I will have it up this evening.

Thanks again and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

In good gaming,

- Rathrune

DM post is up.

Feel free to roleplay conversation on the way to the capital as well as upon arrival.  This isn't combat so a little more free-form is fine. 

I'm sure the question will come up, but the group obviously did not spot any suspicious activity or "ambushes" of any kind while on the way to Tythis.

- Rathrune

For me, I definitely liked how you broke everything down and gave your feedback on it. I don't think you need to have comments with each XP awarding time but if there's something you thought we did good at/could've done better, just something brief. Otherwise, I like the descriptions for the XP gains though such as "Smashing a guys face in with a warhammer blow that was heard in Germany, even though Germany doesn't exist in this realm: 25 xp" :P So I'd vote for keeping those in at least :)

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

-- Charles Bukowski

I love the XP feedback, but seems like a lot to expect every time. I think just the top breakdown and anything that jumps out at you; that would work for me.

Ya know, just like Drew said 😜

If it's alright, I'd like to backtrack to the horses and take the saddle bags and put them on my extra steed to bring back to the soldiers' families, as well as the money. And give the rations, the sword and anything else of value to the soldiers' battalion. I am concerned that it will gather attention so I will cover the saddle bags with my winter blanket to help it look the part better. Lemme know if this isn't going to work, thanks.

The Way

Better Now than Later On

Thanks.

I really hope your interview is awesome!

Players Question:

Do you want one post each for the whole trip or several along the way?

So far I've written up to first seeing the chipmunk.

Thoughts?

P.S. My pal, Toshiba Satellite, is out for the count for about two weeks. I will post via my girlfriend's computer, but I don't know how often. I can, however, post here anytime with my new app. Thx.

The Way

Better Now than Later On

Hey Teri,

Thanks for the kind words.

One post for the trip should suffice, but you can break it up if you wish.  Again, very free-form...if you feel certain words/actions would warrant a response, just post those and I can make a small supplemental post if needed.

- Rathrune

Post up! I like the XP feedback, I always like seeing the breakdown for some reason.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

lolcat73.jpg

2010_10_08-cat-is-planning-to-work.jpg

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Thanks for the responses guys.

Update: I got the job!  And even better, they're going for direct hire instead of the regular probationary period.

Everyone gets 100 XP free!!   Woot!!

- Rathrune

AWESOME!!!!

Congrats man!  That is awesome news.

Edit to add - I like the breakdown but wouldn't expect such a detailed one all the time.  I love the feedback.  If I got my pick, I'd like to see a bit of a  breakdown after encounters and this detailed of a breakdown maybe half way through the adventure or so, just as an update?  Really, I don't want to pile on a bunch more work for you and I think what you've provided is a solid base for all of us to use to strive for better and more interesting playing and posts.

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo