Forums are back in action! ×

Finally - I'm in the right place!

Hey guys,

Wow am I glad I found you! You don't know me but you've probably heard my story a thousand times, I'm 30 years old and waaaay out of shape (220lbs!) infact I've been overweight for the last 8-9 years or so. Tried every lose-weight-fast diet I could find, managed to make them stick for a few weeks then blew it and ended up putting on more weight than I'd lost and them some... not to mention feeling pretty low about failing again, eating crap to cheer myself aaaaand repeat.

I have a beautiful wife and baby girl, I'm a day or so off turning 30 and it's time to man up and sort my shit out basically. I'm sure some of you have heard of Tough Mudder? I'm signed up for my home event in October and my goal is to nail it - hard. I started running the couch to 5k program, then last week completed my first 5k in 31.26 which made my week! Progress :) but the trouble is my core is really weak so I suffer with lower back pain a lot. After some research I found a good series of streches to try http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/5-simple-exercises-for-correcting.html which I hope will really help.

So I'm thinking it's time to read up on strength training and Paleo!

Good to meet you!

Matt

Tough mudder will need that core and it's not so much of a 5k run as it is a bunch of sprints with a full body workout intermixed. Try running around the track/block twice then do 10 sit-ups, run 10 push-ups, run 10 burpees, etc. Also definitely sign up for the next challenge.

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

Great first 5k time! 

If you're wanting to do some reading up Starting Strength is a great program. Or you could go with the rebel strength guide of course. :D 

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Archived