Forums are back in action! ×

Just getting started with NF, wish I had discovered the site years ago

Hello Fellow Rebels,

I feel like this site is a new home for me, and I wish I had discovered it sooner. My name is Paul and I am a 42 yr. old husband and father of a almost 2 year old.

I have a start and stop relationship with diet and exercise (mostly stops). I tried working out on my own, there was a period of time when I hired a trainer who taught me to kickbox (in which I got in to good shape) and I have tried workout videos and other programs (P90X broke my toe - a topic for another post). Nothing really stuck, except the pounds

When my son was born, I weighed 235. At 5' 11', most days I looked and felt like 10 pounds of flour stuffed into a 5 pound bag. The wakeup call for me was my stepbrother (who is 2 yrs younger than me) had a heart attack on the night of his 40th birthday party. He is ok now, but that really hit me like a ton of bricks. I knew I had to do something so I can be around to see my son (and maybe another baby) grow up.

The first thing I did was stop drinking Diet Coke. I was drinking 4 or 5 a day but thinking it was ok becase it is "diet". That took off the first 10 lbs. I got a app called Lose It and tracked my foods, which helped me drop a few more. I hung a heavy bag in my garage and did some of the workouts I remember my kickboxing trainer putting me through. All of this was good, but not great.

Then, about a month ago I stumbled upon Nerd Fitness and I instantly felt like this was my new home. I was inspired by the articles and stories on the site. I started doing the beginner bodyweight workout for the first time on March 4th (I could only get 2 circuits, and that 2nd circuit was ugly). Over the past 5 weeks I have done the workout 12 times (a little better than 2x per week) I feel great and look forward to participating in my first 6-week challenge next week and committing to making it 3x per week.

A little about me personally, I like video games (xbox 360 and old-school PC games) but dont make as much time to play as I would like; comics; RPG's. I did open mic standup comedy for three years and had more shows where I did well then when I bombed; worked on political campaigns for a living and now run a mid-size Chamber of Commerce in Florida.

I look forward to participating in the forum and if I can be of any help to anyone, please do not hesitate to ask.

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

Thanks. Yes, I will be participating in this upcoming challenge. I have 3 of the 4 goals chosen and honing in on the 4th. I will be ready!

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Welcome!

Any videos of your stand up comedy?  I love some good stand up.

What are your plans for the challenge?

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I taped a few for my own evaluations but they are really poor quality.

My goals for the challenge will be:

1. Walk a total of 60 miles over the course of the challenge

2. Do Beginner Bodyweight workout at least 3x per week

3. Increase # of pushups per set from 15 to 45

4. Read books in Art of Manliness's Top 100 books that I have not yet read (The Great Gatsby, Slaugterhouse 5 and The Republic)

I think those are achieveable, measureable, and will be beneficial

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

I taped a few for my own evaluations but they are really poor quality.

My goals for the challenge will be:

1. Walk a total of 60 miles over the course of the challenge

2. Do Beginner Bodyweight workout at least 3x per week

3. Increase # of pushups per set from 15 to 45

4. Read books in Art of Manliness's Top 100 books that I have not yet read (The Great Gatsby, Slaugterhouse 5 and The Republic)

I think those are achieveable, measureable, and will be beneficial

Dannnnnnnnng, that's a lotta push ups!

But definitely some nice goals you've got there :)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Archived