Forums are back in action! ×

Beginner Cardio Guide?

Toast

So yesterday I decided to do a cardio workout since I'm planning on lifting Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and doing cardio and core stuff Tuesday and Thursday. When I went yesterday, I ran on and off for a mile on a treadmill but was lost as to what to do after that. So I just migrated over to the machines and did some strength work outs. Squats, Shoulder Press, Chest Press, and Back Extension. Then I ended with sit ups and leg ups. (By the way, I'm not sure if I'm doing leg ups properly. Is there a video somewhere I can reference to?) I'm pretty sure there's running guides on NF, but I can't find them at the moment. Anyone know any guides for beginners?

There are some running articles marked here in the Free Resources.

Just my experience.

I started doing Strong Lifts 5x5 M,W,F and cardio type workouts Tu,TH as well.  My go-to was biking, because I destested running.  I would do intervals to get a good cardio workout.

For example:

10 min. warm up

4 rounds: 60 sec. RPE 5 ; 120 sec. recover

5 min. easy pedaling

10 rounds: 30 sec. RPE 9 ; 30 sec. recover

10 min. cool down

47 min. total

Then as your stamina goes up add more rounds to the RPE 9 section, up to 20 rounds.

Not sure of your level of fitness, but this would always kick my butt and make me feel I got a great cardio workout.

I am starting to get into running more now that I am trying Crossfit type workouts, so in the future I might try translating that formula to running.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nerd+fitness+running&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7AURU_enUS499

Specifically:

Beginners Guide to Running

How to Not Suck at Running

Interval Training – Kick Your Ass and Kickstart your Metabolism in 20 Minutes

Level 1 Satyr Adventurer/Assassin    

Age: 36, Height: 5'9", Weight: 238.6, Pants Size: 40Str 2 | Dex 3 | Sta 2 | Con 4 | Wis 1 | Cha 3

My tracking thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/26623-ssquirrels-list-of-everything/

Goals: 200 pounds, the old size 36 leather pants in my closet :)

Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.Cheshire Cat: Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here.  You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself.

Archived