Forums are back in action! ×

I've got no strings...

Well, here I am.

I've been lurking on the blog for a bit, shared a couple of posts and workouts with people, and generally been impressed with the overall mentality of the place. So I figured I would do something I haven't done in years, join (and be active in) a forum. I feel like it is the early 00's all over again.

My story thus far.

Once, long ago, there was a girl. Always a bit chubby, but who would spend all summer biking and hiking, working with animals and foraging the woods for edibles. She never was good at running, but could out walk just about anyone she new. In the winters she would spend whatever daylight was left after school ice skating on a pond (well think more overgrown mud puddle) that she would clear off and smooth out each winter.

She became a teenager. She was told "Oh, the baby fat will melt off!" She grew hips and other very girly things that did not jibe with her very not quite girly attitude. Grunge was a bit of a fashion life saver. She refused to eat breakfast or lunch. She still worked with the animals, still walked and biked and foraged. Her weight fluctuated seasonally but she never got thin like her classmates. She hid herself in baggy clothes and the art room.

She became an adult. She no longer lived on a farm. She stopped biking everywhere. Walking became much more occasional. Food...well, food was no longer healthy and her borderline unhealthy relationship with it got worse. Depression, caffiene, nicotine, self harm... Weeks of malaise. Knees that would ache all winter. Walking sticks. No more ice skating. She lost her scholarships, changed schools, improved her grades, then dropped out.

She started to turn it around. She started working, became a workaholic. She moved in with someone who understood and was patient. Her weight and fitness level was still an issue, but becoming more physical than psychological. She began to give a damn. She had a 401k, she had a life, she had perspective and she grew up. She went back to school. She quit her job, finished school, and found a much better job within a few months.

She got sick. She lost 40lbs and had to have last minute wedding dress alterations. She decided not to gain that weight back. She joined a gym, went for a while, stopped. She started walking and biking more. She went back to the gym, she started yoga. Yoga fixed her knees! She could run! She did 5 5ks in a year. She did 2 obstacle races. She found a gym she loves.

She slowly became me.

And I'm becoming pretty awesome.

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

Thanks, I've been thinking about the challenge, and goals for it. I'm committed to a Tough Mudder on June 1st and already having difficulty getting enough time together for the run training.

So maybe? I'm not sure. I know I want to get to be able to do a pull up and a handstand...

Human Adventurer

And I'm becoming pretty awesome.

Love that tagline!  It practically gave me goosebumps.  Sounds like you're in a good place...and NF is a good place to stay that way (or even "level up").  Welcome!

As for the challenge, just include training for Tough Mudder as part of your goals.  It must require some weekly running and some bodyweight-moving exercise to get over the obstacles, right?  Don't see the challenge as an additional time consumer, but a way to stay motivated and accountable for the goals you already have.  (I see you are pretty new to NF.  For the challenge, you establish your own goals and track your own progress, not follow a particular program which everyone else is following.  There are optional minichallenges each week for everyone, but those, again, are optional.)

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

I tend to be very checklist oriented, so I sometimes forget that column A can fulfill something from column B.

So, I guess that means I'm in. Just signed up and rolled up my sheet. I used to play a kender quite a lot, but am quite solidly human at the moment (also I cut my hair off). That can change though!

So, some goals - 

Handstand! Work that core and those shoulders.

Run 6 miles continually. Gotta get between those obstacles!

Go (modified) Paleo. 

Fix the kitchen wiring, tile the backsplash and install under-cabinet lights. The kitchen should be the sexiest room in the house after all.

Human Adventurer

Thanks, I've been thinking about the challenge, and goals for it. I'm committed to a Tough Mudder on June 1st and already having difficulty getting enough time together for the run training.

So maybe? I'm not sure. I know I want to get to be able to do a pull up and a handstand...

Such an awesome story that you have! Inspirational for sure. I've always wanted to do a Tough Mudder, they look like so much fun! Kudos to you for signing up! That is freaking awesome as hell!

Level 1 Adventurer

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 3 | CHA 3

"Do something today that your future self with thank you for!"

Archived