Forums are back in action! ×

New to the rebellion!

Hey! 

Came across this last week and i'm totally loving it!! Really great stuff :) and some great inspirational stories! I'm jetting away on my jollies in exactly 10 weeks 4 days and I am TERRIFIED of stepping in that bikini hence why I've been looking for advice online, and found this! 

I don't exactly have a lot of weight to lose, I'm probably just over half a stone over weight. My most important physical goal is to get a toned physique by incorporating some of the weight training moves I find on this site. I've already gone full paleo and I'm really enjoying it. Can already tell the difference from last week when I started and on a recent cheat (hangover) day I had some fried food and I felt grim! My body was NOT happy and I felt sluggish and worse after!

Most importantly I'm hoping this whole experience will help boost my confidence, health and happiness :) From the age of 8-18 I was an overweight kid, and even though I've since lost the weight, I'm still very insecure (all my friends think I'm crazy)! I went on my last holiday six years ago at 17 and I was the only big one out of our group and I am determined to be in the best shape of my life this summer and strut my stuff in a two piece with pride...no hiding in shorts and a tube top!! Good luck to everyone dreading bikini season and thanks for this site! Wonderful stuff :)

Oh last thing I'm wanting to buy one of the available online e-book thingys and i'm unsure to buy a beginners guide to strength training or the one that offers different levels :/ I'm not weak and as a pear shape, girl can pull a few squats BUT I have poor upper body strength...pull ups are not my forte! Sooo any advice would be great! Thankyou xxx 

Welcome! 

Pear shaped high-five!

So, you can squat, that's awesome! Tell me more about that.  Are you currently lifting? Did you lift? Any programs you've followed, activity you did regularly, etc.  Knowing more of your back ground will help form a good suggestion for which resource is your best bet.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Haha high five back! I've never really tried strength training properly...or so I think. I've got a couple of dumbells (only 2.5) and there great for my arms and shoulders cause there pathetic but definitely not enough for the legs....which as a pear shape is my hardest part! I dunno if you know of Davina Mccall but I've got a few of her DVD's and usually follow them but I'm wanting to get into strength training. I've done squats with my boyfriends bar and deadlifts etc but I need more of a set routine!

For the last week I've done a mixture of cardio and toning exercises from the dvds which involve lots of leg, shoulder, arm workouts, often incorporated together to get the whole body working but it definitely needs picking up cause I know I can do more! I always workout at home even though I have a free gym pass, as I hate the gym, prefer my privacy :) I do have weights and a bar,a bench and pull up bar available thanks to my boyfriend. Hows your journey going so far?? Thanks for messaging me back :) Could see everyone else getting these instant replies and was like 'pick me! pick me!' hahahahahaha

Howdy Liz, and despite the Yanks being our closest allies us brits must stick together...for the sake of the Queen and everything Harry Potter based...that's our only weapon against our states side friends :)

Just like you I'm just getting my feet wet here in the group and I have no doubt we'll both enjoy our challenges. All the best to us both :))

Think enjoy might be a little far-fetched! Just done four sets of the beginners workout and I'm dying!! One did not enjoy one bit lol. As for the weather picking up, I did hear about a mini heatwave...refuse to believe it...it's been winter, for say, five months now? Haha If it does brighten up I'll be horrified! I'm working all weekend and revising for my exams at uni *sigh*. May just stick my legs out my flat window and attempt to tan my milk bottle legs as well :). For Queen and Country  :victorious:

Haha high five back! I've never really tried strength training properly...or so I think. I've got a couple of dumbells (only 2.5) and there great for my arms and shoulders cause there pathetic but definitely not enough for the legs....which as a pear shape is my hardest part! I dunno if you know of Davina Mccall but I've got a few of her DVD's and usually follow them but I'm wanting to get into strength training. I've done squats with my boyfriends bar and deadlifts etc but I need more of a set routine!

For the last week I've done a mixture of cardio and toning exercises from the dvds which involve lots of leg, shoulder, arm workouts, often incorporated together to get the whole body working but it definitely needs picking up cause I know I can do more! I always workout at home even though I have a free gym pass, as I hate the gym, prefer my privacy :) I do have weights and a bar,a bench and pull up bar available thanks to my boyfriend. Hows your journey going so far?? Thanks for messaging me back :) Could see everyone else getting these instant replies and was like 'pick me! pick me!' hahahahahaha

No prob :)  Glad to help!

It sounds like the Rebel Strength Guide would be a good bet for you.  Given what you've got at home you should be do some good work with the programs Steve's set up.  It'll definitely give you enough for the legs and help improve your upper body strength (which, sadly, for most women, lags behind our lower body strength).

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Archived