Forums are back in action! ×

Strange Food

Evicious

^ OMG. Wh... wh... why would you do that? Poutine does NOT need to be in soda form. If you want something that tastes like poutine, get some poutine. It's amazing.

So, weird food things. I grew up in rural Alaska with a lot of subsistence hunting and fishing, so just starting with animals, they may be unusual, but we eat some of the bits (I've at least tried them) that most people might not:

- moose (tongue, liver, kidney, heart, marrow bones)

- caribou (^same)

- hare

- whale (both meat and blubber)

- seal (meat, flipper, seal oil)

- ducks, geese, ptarmigan, grouse (love me some gizzards and hearts!)

- pike

- salmon (heads, milt, eggs... basically everything but the digestive system and swim bladder, we even can the back bones into our jars of fish)

Other things I love:

- agutaq (a.k.a eskimo ice cream - berries mixed with crisco and sugar... sometimes fish is also added)

- brown cheese (I spent a semester in Norway)

- Pho (not that weird, but I have to make sure to get it with the tendons, so good!)

- Russian sandwich (open-face toasted bread rubbed with raw garlic, thin smear of mayo, dill pickle slices and sardines)

- Spam (Pretty much any way. Spam musubi, Spamish rice, Spam soup, fried with pancakes, uncooked on pilot bread crackers)

That's all I can think of right now. Maybe a little TOO much :P

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

Archived