Forums are back in action! ×

36yo M here. Did first day of dumbell workout, totally sore

dtseiler

Wednesday decided to quit looking at those dumbells. Watched a buttload of videos on basic beginner dumbell workouts. Loved doing the workout but yesterday and today my triceps are very sore and my sides feel like I got beat up in a back alley. For reference, here is the workout:

Back: One Arm Dumbbell Rows (10 reps)
Chest: Clapping Push-Ups (10 reps)
Shoulders: Standing Dumbbell Press (10 reps)
Biceps: Dumbbell Curls (10 reps)
Triceps: Triceps Extensions (10 reps)
Traps: Shrugs (20 reps)

Note that I didn't do clapping push-ups, just normal push-ups. I only got through the complete set twice and then did extra set of rows, push-ups and curls. I'm not looking to hulk out, I just want to be more fit (ie lose 30 lbs) and a bit stronger upper body.

So the question re soreness is: when should I go again? I was planning to do M-W-F, but F is today and I have no idea if I should wait or not and don't want to use my noobness as an excuse to skip.

Soreness (DOMS) means you're doing it right.  :)  That isn't going to go away for quite some time and, even when you're in shape, you'll still get sore from a good workout.  Be sure you're eating plenty of protein (1gm per pound of body weight).

Get back in there - nothing is quite as good at fighting soreness as getting warmed up and going again. 

Nah - you're not going to do any harm as long as you warm up a bit.

Yeah, one gram per pound of bodyweight is a good amount to start with. Serious lifters can almost double that.

Love me some Walt Mink - just happened to be listening to them when I picked out my first handle in the late 90's.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone 8 using Board Express

I do toe touches on a medicine ball- quick feet- switching side to side- I saw a great Kettlebell workout video- they use that technique- I'll try to post it up later for you.

If you can get your hands on battle ropes those are great.

Jumping jacks

Speed skaters

Jump rope- all time favorite too.

taking a jog around the block for 2-3 minutes! 

Burpees!

I usually just do a slow jog for a warm up.

if you're so sore you can't move, then you might want to give it a few days until the soreness is back at a tolerable level. However, I'm learning to deal with some amount of soreness...and after a while, even that will go away.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Archived