Forums are back in action! ×

I Did the Starting Strength Beginner Program, but...

Toast

I finished in about 10 or 15 minutes, and I didn't really feel satisfied after it so I did a bunch of other workouts for 30 or 40 minutes. I did 3x5 squats, 3x5 bench presses, and 3x5 deadlifts as part of the program. (I forgot I only had to do one set) Are programs like these only supposed to take this long? If not am I going through them too fast?

Here's the program btw: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

Big M is right it will take longer after a while. Also don't feel like a workout has to take forever. If you're not doing the typical bodybuilder split routine you shouldn't expect to be in the gym for 2hrs like they are. My lifts are pretty decent and I have seen steady PRs over the last couple of years that I've been lifting and my workouts very rarely take more than 45 minutes.

Allons-y!

If deadlifts were easy they'd be called ellipticals.

If you can't fix it with fish oil and squats you're probably going to die. ~ Marshall White

TIME LORD, The Warrior, Level 3: STE: 12, DEX: 12, STA: 5; CON: 5.75, WIS: 9; CHA: 2

Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Ephesians 6.10

-           -      -   -  -  -  -  -  - - - - - - - -----------------------------------------------

You could also look into Tim Ferris 4-hour body. Long story short, instead of doing 5x5 5x3 etc. He advices to keep going for 120 seconds. No more, no less. The constant presure should help you build stronger and better muscles, according to him :)

But to your original question - no, it doesn't take any longer then that :) 

Diatin, level 1 Orc warriorSTR 3|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 3

You could also look into Tim Ferris 4-hour body. Long story short, instead of doing 5x5 5x3 etc. He advices to keep going for 120 seconds. No more, no less. The constant presure should help you build stronger and better muscles, according to him :)

This sounds very similar to the Body By Science protocol, actually.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

The workouts won't take long in the beginning as you're so light weight at the moment, so feel free to do more and get yourself more work in. As you increase in weight, like the others said, it will take you longer and longer. My squat sessions used to take 10 minutes max at 225 3x5 or so. By the time I switched off of it, the squat component alone will take close to a half hour between 4-6 warm up sets and 3x5 at 355.

Like bigm said, the weights will increase and make you need more rest between. But even then, if you feel like you want to go get more work in, feel free to do so after the lifts.

It's for building mass, not necessarily strength. I did it for a bit, saw very littel strength gains. Anything that does it is based of Occom's protocol.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Archived