Forums are back in action! ×

Boston Marathon - what the heck?

Thilde

Just found out that one of the girls who used to swim on the swim team at my pool suffered 2 broken legs amongst other injuries. Her younger sister lost part of her leg. They were there supporting their mom (uninjured) who used to do massage therapy at my pool too.

http://www.bestrongstaystrong.net/

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

I don't mean to be insensitive or trigger anything for anyone... but how do y'all feel about graphic images in the media? I got into a debate with my significant other about this. I'm a firm believer that if you want to see graphic images, they should be made available. That does not mean showing leg fragments on the evening news. It means if you read an article and it has a link that says, "warning: graphic images", you have the choice to click it or not. His train of thought was that it's someone's pain, someone's life changing, and that shouldn't be splashed across the front pages of every news website.

BTW - I went to college in Boston, went through many Marathon Mondays, and have lots of good memories from that city. I also grew up in the DC area, so all the crazy shit like 9/11, the DC sniper, etc... I've been there, I know what it's like to have your daily life disrupted by police presence. It's all very unnerving.

For me, seeing the images drives home the fact that it's REAL.

CharlieBoston

My Character Page

Introduction - CharlieBoston and the Wavering Motvation
Fitocracy Profile

Athlinks Profile

"Hope, D'Argo. It's what keeps you going... I have hope or I have nothing."

For me, seeing the images drives home the fact that it's REAL.

That's exactly my thought. A number is so impersonal. But seeing an image really drives it home from multiple perspectives. I think not only about the victims who lost lives and limbs, but also the EMT and marathon volunteers. The EMT probably have some experience with blood and gore, but nothing like flesh being melted from skin (i.e. what normally happens to a bomb victim). And the marathon volunteers were probably expecting to see some gross dehydration side effects that day, not shattered limbs. When THOSE people went home that night to their families, they were fundamentally changed. And when they tried to sleep at night, they kept rehearsing what happened that day. And you KNOW that someone was probably screaming, crying, moaning, and it was probably something heartbreaking like, "where is this person" or "help me" or whatever else. I gleaned all that from a horrifically graphic image, NOT a headline. And those EMT and volunteers will NEVER forget that. 

Also, I heard one of the victims who ended up being a double-amputee, looked at one of the suspects directly in the eye when the suspect put the bag down at his feet. Terrifying. I don't want to post the article because it has a graphic image.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

He's in critical condition though -- hopefully he'll pull through so we can get some answers.

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

I bet they're doing everything humanly possible to keep him alive. He's got to answer for this. Not giving in to terror is a good start to showing him and whoever he has been working with (if not just his now-dead brother) that their plan didn't have the desired effect. But saving his life and following due legal process would drive it home. As much as I want him dead, I don't want him to have the satisfaction of changing society.

CharlieBoston

My Character Page

Fitocracy Profile

Athlinks Profile

I bet they're doing everything humanly possible to keep him alive. He's got to answer for this. Not giving in to terror is a good start to showing him and whoever he has been working with (if not just his now-dead brother) that their plan didn't have the desired effect. But saving his life and following due legal process would drive it home. As much as I want him dead, I don't want him to have the satisfaction of changing society.

Completely agree. He and his brother may have been alone, or they could be part of an organization. I know there are a lot of speculation about their involvement with Al Queda, but I really doubt it. They (AQ) usually release a video or claim outright that they've done something. 

I'm also glad he's still alive because dying is the easy way out. Let him live the rest of his days behind bars. 

"If you die, you die. A man must constantly exceed his level." - Bruce Lee

I think we need to know why he'd do what he did, even though knowing could "inspire" similar thoughts and acts. It's a great end result to the man hunt and investigation, BPD have done a great job

Absolutely.

CharlieBoston

My Character Page

Fitocracy Profile

Athlinks Profile

Archived