Forums are back in action! ×

Bench question

seed

I've definitely read somewhere (and if I have time at work today I'll try to find it) that decline in particular is, as Perry Randall said, better for very specific applications. It might just have been an article in Men's Fitness now that I think about it and obviously their word isn't law. Personally I never feel like I get a good chest work out unless I do some flat bench, but that may just be a mental thing.

Lvl 1 Human Ranger

STR - 2  DEX - 2

STA - 2  CON - 3

WIS - 2  CHA - 4

"The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny."

Pick one and stick with it. Bench is an overratted exercise anyway. it is fun and a lot of guys like to throw their numbers around but I might go with decline and the over head press. Those are a little more functional when you think about it since you'll very rarely push straight forward you'll lean forward to put more weight behind (like an incline) or try to get over it (like a decline).

If you're just really dedicated to doing all three, use one to warm up, one for your work weight, and do a burn out set of the last.

Allons-y!

If deadlifts were easy they'd be called ellipticals.

If you can't fix it with fish oil and squats you're probably going to die. ~ Marshall White

TIME LORD, The Warrior, Level 3: STE: 12, DEX: 12, STA: 5; CON: 5.75, WIS: 9; CHA: 2

Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Ephesians 6.10

-           -      -   -  -  -  -  -  - - - - - - - -----------------------------------------------

Pick one and stick with it. Bench is an overratted exercise anyway. it is fun and a lot of guys like to throw their numbers around but I might go with decline and the over head press. Those are a little more functional when you think about it since you'll very rarely push straight forward you'll lean forward to put more weight behind (like an incline) or try to get over it (like a decline).

If you're just really dedicated to doing all three, use one to warm up, one for your work weight, and do a burn out set of the last.

I must agree, it is certainly overrated. I think all isolation exercises are overrated. I like to bench cause it makes you feel good but lets face it there are much better lifts to be doing.

Lvl 1 Human Ranger

STR - 2  DEX - 2

STA - 2  CON - 3

WIS - 2  CHA - 4

"The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny."

I must agree, it is certainly overrated. I think all isolation exercises are overrated. I like to bench cause it makes you feel good but lets face it there are much better lifts to be doing.

?

Benching is not an isolation exercise.

It works your whole pressing chain; forearms, triceps, shoulders, chest, and serratus.  Lats get in on the action a bit at the bottom.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Anyone who thinks bench is an isolation exercise is doing it wrong... flat bench combined with OHP somewhere in your routine is about the best thing you can be doing for your upper body strenth.  Everything else should be added as additional, not in replacement, as necessary.  Doing decline, incline, and all of the million other things are useful especially in situations specific to them, but they should not be a replacement for 2 of the Big4 lifts.  There is a reason they are part of the Big4...

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

flat bench combined with OHP somewhere in your routine is about the best thing you can be doing for your upper body strenth.

Pressing strength.

The whole pulling chain is getting no work (grip, bicep/brachialis, lats, rhomboids). Pulling is an equal to, not a suppliment to, pressing.

As long as the OHP is also a focus, flat bench can be subbed out for dips without issue. Obviously this depends on your goals, but if your goals aren't to be a competitive powerlifter and specifically bench a lot, dips are a movement you probably should be doing more of. Dips are NOT an accessory exercise. Even if you want to bench a lot, dips are a movement you probably should be doing more of.

currently cutting

don't panic!

?

Benching is not an isolation exercise.

It works your whole pressing chain; forearms, triceps, shoulders, chest, and serratus.  Lats get in on the action a bit at the bottom.

Pressing strength.

The whole pulling chain is getting no work (grip, bicep/brachialis, lats, rhomboids). Pulling is an equal to, not a suppliment to, pressing.

As long as the OHP is also a focus, flat bench can be subbed out for dips without issue. Obviously this depends on your goals, but if your goals aren't to be a competitive powerlifter and specifically bench a lot, dips are a movement you probably should be doing more of. Dips are NOT an accessory exercise. Even if you want to bench a lot, dips are a movement you probably should be doing more of.

Normally I track and follow just fine- but you directly contradict what yourself.  

your sig says you're doing sl 5x5....  last i checked, incline and decline aren't even IN sl 5x5, and there's no such thing as a chest day.  It's workout A and workout B.

So... what are you doing?!

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

Even though the lats are used a bit, it is only in a slight portion of the ROM (elbows behind the body midline), unrelated to the pulling chain. You get the same effect, exaggerated, when doing the back lever (where you can actually feel them working). Benching will not give you big strong lats (nor will a back lever). Not enough stimulation for a major muscle.

One muscle, different uses. You see the same thing in the traps. Most weight people have ridicuously strong upper traps and pathetically weak lower traps. Which is the reason you should be doing more dips.

If you've ever done a bar dip, l-sit dip, or deep dip in general, chances are you end up flaring your elbows wide at the bottom. Flaring your elbows is usually considered poor form, however the flared elbows makes the movements easier because the lat assistance is greater with flared elbows. The bench has this exact same effect, just less magnified.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Mk. Thanks for the clarification.  You're usually quiet specific and I am pretty sure I was on board with it- but I wanted for the sake of everyone to have that cleared up.

I am laughing about your traps- comment- mostly because I hate building upper traps- I love how my neck looks- I'm very picky about it (I know it's an odd body part to be picky about) and I hate building traps up b/c they make me look ridiculous and fuck up how my neck looks... conversely I LOVE working my back- low traps- rhomboids lats- if I could do ONLY back all the time- I would. I love it. 

:)  back to that whole women and their lats thing- kills me women neglect it but yet always want that sexy back look- I'm LIKE YOU GOTTA USE IT GURL!

your sig says you're doing sl 5x5....  last i checked, incline and decline aren't even IN sl 5x5, and there's no such thing as a chest day.  It's workout A and workout B.

So... what are you doing?!

Yeah sorry i gotta fix that. Ive changed my routine for the 6 week challenge.

What are ways to go about doing weighted dips? I don't have access to a vest or belt. 

I do have some heavy chains.

Paleo. Strength training. SL 5x5.

Serious Gamer. Poker Addict. Beer Lover.

battle log

Seed's Mirin' Brah 6 week Challenge.

Archived