Forums are back in action! ×

Unit Bias in Food

KingZora

I know this kind of diet advice is touted pretty often, but I found the article to be well written, and it is pretty sound advice and explanation in case it is new to anyone!

http://lifehacker.com/why-we-eat-whatevers-in-front-of-us-473869866?utm_source=feedly

TL;DR: We experience unit bias when eating, that means we psychologically prefer to finish a single unit of food, regardless of what the unit is.  This is why everyone will eat 1 apple... not 1.25 or .75 apples when they decide they want to eat an apple.  Small plates, and setting serving size before eating helps to control food intake if that is ever an issue since you will be able to finish 1 whole unit, which will be more satisfying than trying to limit yourself by leaving food on the plate.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

I know this kind of diet advice is touted pretty often, but I found the article to be well written, and it is pretty sound advice and explanation in case it is new to anyone!

http://lifehacker.com/why-we-eat-whatevers-in-front-of-us-473869866?utm_source=feedly

TL;DR: We experience unit bias when eating, that means we psychologically prefer to finish a single unit of food, regardless of what the unit is.  This is why everyone will eat 1 apple... not 1.25 or .75 apples when they decide they want to eat an apple.  Small plates, and setting serving size before eating helps to control food intake if that is ever an issue since you will be able to finish 1 whole unit, which will be more satisfying than trying to limit yourself by leaving food on the plate.

so if i break my oreos into groups, i won't eat them all at the same time?

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

Well... you just may eat the entire box at the same time :P but it will seem more satisfying to have 3 Oreos that you packaged together in a small bag that you pulled out of the pantry and walked away with.  Than it would be to take an entire box of Oreos eat 3 and then put them back without eating any more.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

I know this is true for me in most cases. I'll eat way more of something than I need or intend to just because of some odd compulsion to finish. Now when I cook dinner and there are leftovers, I put my servings on a plate, then immediately put the rest of the food away in the fridge. Otherwise I'll keep picking at it until I've eaten a whole additional meal. I've also occasionally mitigated some of the damage when I decide to indulge by throwing out the part I don't plan to eat immediately. A few weeks ago, for instance, I really wanted a peanut butter milk shake from P.Terry's, so I got a small one, poured 2/3 of it down the drain and then drank the last part. I really really hate wasting food like that, but I do it occasionally.

I've been trying to work up the nerve to ask for a to-go box with my meal at restaurants with large portions before I start eating so that I can box up half of it right away.   For some reason it feels embarrassing to do that, though.

Yes, this is so me!  I will eat food just becuase it is there.

The worst case is in Mexican restaurants where they bring you a basket of chips.  I start with a couple, then the meal comes, I eat, and I am full.  Then I will eat the rest of the chips just because they are there.  I'm not hungry...THEY ARE JUST THERE!  So maddening.

I usually have very good self control over the urges.  I just remind myself that I am full and don't NEED to eat them.  I just WANT to eat them.

Archived